Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hey,

Last week was entirely spent ripping my car apart and upgrading all the audio tenfold with my father. A first ever father/son audio project. I was going to post a day-by-day sort of log, but instead I am going to log pictures into sections of relevance and how it was done. I was to lazy for a day-by-day log... As my first 18" project comes to an end, there will be much more for Soul in the future.

The build is completely SoundQubed equipment with a Pioneer headunit.

Subwoofer: HDC3.118 Copper Coil Subwoofer
Mids: QP-MR6.5
Tweeters: QP-TH25 "SuperTweeter"
4-Channel Amp: Q4-90
Monoblock Amp: Q1-2200D
Headunit: DEH-P980BT - Premier™

High Resolution Album: Soul 2014

Index
Doors (below)
Headunit
Wiring
Deadening
Amp Mounting
Box Build
Big Three
Misc

Doors
Speaker was mounted to the plastic...Ripped the speaker from the plastic, dremel the ****, and got new screws.

Mounting the new 6.5" to the OEM bracket. Finished speaker in back, no going back to OEM speakers.

Here you can see OEM sound deadening. Bottom right of panel you can see plastic speaker ring that presses into the foam of speaker bracket.

This is not necessary.....A huge pain in the *** this plastic piece was. The speaker mounted here, not a big deal. BUT, to deaden behind this on the sheet metal required the removal of the windows, door handles, plugs, etc...

Here you can see where the foam presses against the door frame plastic.

No different, but the speaker is removed.

It looked allot bigger on the outside, but this is all I have... Ended up pulling em out and putting the closure back together.

Big tweeter was not going to fit in that dinky OEM hole. So, one was made for them right above the 6.5" speaker

Looks really nice, I could not be happier with the outcome of this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Look at the freaking difference...

Finished driver and passenger door

Headunit
Was a bit of a pain..Clips were angled, made it hard for the tool to un-clip.

There was allot of wires!! It was such a pain in the ***.

lol...upside down zzz

Blue tooth speaker mounted in the extra cavity below the HU. Some dremel action allowed for the wires to pass through.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wiring
Working with some tiny places for wires underneath the plastic...

Had some more room for wires in the rear, but as you can see.....The seat was removed.

Made wiring easier

Had to be done....Was able to lift the carpet and run wires under the carpet.

Lawn chairs are cheap

Only got butterflies in my stomach once while doing this, so I took a picture to ease my mind...

Underneath carpet and rear seat

All wires go somewhere

0AWG vs 4AWG

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Deadening
Bare front door

Aimed for as much coverage as possible. Had plenty of deadening to go around.

Deadened rear door

Huge bare metal here. Really glad the pain to remove the back trim resulted in quality area.

Right to the outside sheet metal of the car.

My trunk does not rattle, so I think this paid off greatly. Only thing that rattles is the **** rear-windshield wiper.

None of is sheet bare sheet metal. The gas tank lead is in the way and makes the metal really sturdy in that area. Did what I thought sounded echo-ish.

I ripped that subwoofer plate out and was able to reach the outside sheet metal. Deadened it real good! Did some of the same deadening as the driver too.

Threw some deaden where your feet would rest as a back seat passenger. None under seat because there is a huge *** cushion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amp Mounting
Roughly where it will end up in the end

LISTEN, this was a mistake to do it this way... I now have a hiss because the RCAs are to close to the power wires.... I KNOW! Will fix later lol Plus you can see I laid down some deadening in the wheel well.

Box
Fits nicely. Was impressed with the first cut.

Allot of thinking went into this... Neither my dad or myself are carpenters.... Allot of time...

This is getting really tight fit.

I am scared it wont fit...

16.5" hole for an 18" woofer

Do not put the sides on at the same time, because than nothing fits after....We learned that a little to late.. lmao Luckily, everything still came together pretty well when forced.

Done box

Here it is, the big *** woofer with the big *** box in my small *** car. 2x 6" aero ports at 15.5" a piece at roughly 6.5 Cu.Ft. Box did not fit at first and allot of angry swear words were tossed around! Then, we turned it upside down and flipped it while inside the car hahah Fit like a glove

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big Three
0 AWG Ground - Battery to chassis

0AWG Ground - Engine to chassis

0AWG Power - Alternator to battery

Misc
Fuses mounted on top the fuse holder. Dad's idea, did not ask my approval! Turned out awesome though, and still functions great.

Find these in my center console, plus a volt meter that is not pictured. Looks really dope.

There was a few days where I bled allot....Proud of that.

Anyways..That is all the pictures I have for now!

Future plans to deaden the ceiling and anything else (still have good amount left), build some other boxes with other speakers, body work, and idk yet. some other stuff too, sure.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
interesting to see what's being the door panels, I guess you have no need to carry any cargo. Where did the repair kit go?

Hope you are not going to rattle your neighbours with this :sneakiness:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jesus... that's some scary amount of work. Congratulations on that... looks like a nice job. How long did all of that take?
Thanks! It took about a week to do it.

interesting to see what's being the door panels, I guess you have no need to carry any cargo. Where did the repair kit go?

Hope you are not going to rattle your neighbours with this :sneakiness:
No need for cargo lol I managed in my last car without a trunk, so I am going to try it again...
Repair kit is currently sitting on the floor behind the driver seat. Doesn't roll around or anything, so I guess that can do for now.
I fear blasting my music close to my house...I don't wanna get robbed, so my neighbors don't even know ;)

wow nice job ! honestly for me ,the father & son project ! your a lucky guy to have that relationship with your dad . congrats !
Thanks! Took a five hour drive to hang for week and slam this project out.

All that for listening to talk radio?
lmao yes

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is an impressive built for a 2014!

I have to agree with the tweeter upgrade. I remember I replac mine with Sony Xplod series one. It make a big difference night and day!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great job Rob. I will be keeping my ear out for you driving around Erie.

Tell your dad I said hi and good job also. I’m pretty sure he and I used to work together.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Duuuuuuuuuuude,

I love it. Kudos for having the initiative to undertake such a big project. You must be very proud of yourself and your dad, and rightfully so. It's great that you had your father there with you every step of the way. I was very close to my folks, so it make me smile when I see anybody bonding with a parent or sibling. Great job! Take care.

Peace,

Darrin

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is an impressive built for a 2014!

I have to agree with the tweeter upgrade. I remember I replac mine with Sony Xplod series one. It make a big difference night and day!
Night and day difference... I feel like they are right there in front of me singing! It is insane

Great job Rob. I will be keeping my ear out for you driving around Erie.

Tell your dad I said hi and good job also. I’m pretty sure he and I used to work together.
Be sure to honk if you pass by me haha I usually make intense eye contact with other Soul drivers in hopes they make it back and we both wave :D lmfao

Duuuuuuuuuuude,

I love it. Kudos for having the initiative to undertake such a big project. You must be very proud of yourself and your dad, and rightfully so. It's great that you had your father there with you every step of the way. I was very close to my folks, so it make me smile when I see anybody bonding with a parent or sibling. Great job! Take care.

Peace,

Darrin
Thanks! Having my father live just over five hours away has definitely limited any type of bonding like this over huge projects. Luckily the stars aligned during Christmas break, I was able to disappear for a whole week to spend down there with him. Both pretty ecstatic about how it turned out

1 - 20 of 30 Posts