Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago it was really humid and hot in NYC. I turned on the AC. After about 15 minutes of driving i get home and see a trail of drips from the street and into my driveway. I followed the drips to a small forming puddle under the car. The drips dont smell like oil and is not shiny. The drips seems to be originating from under the center console where the AC controls and NAVI is found. Is my drip pan clogged or is it working normally?

My older brother owns a 2012 KIA Sorrento. He had this issue with his AC unit last summer. The condensation from the AC build up so much that it started to leak into the cabin. The carpets in the front two seats got soaked.

His solution for the problem was to take compressed air and flush out the system through a vent in the glovebox. He hasn't had a problem since. We shall see if the problem occurs again this summer. My brother thinks that dust or some other particulates may have clogged up the tube to cause the problem.

Has anyone else with a 2014 Exclaim had an issue with this?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
780 Posts
Seems normal. If it didn't drip outside where would it go? Think the answer is in your post above. Every car I have owned with AC has dripped outside with the AC running.

Reactions: User2014

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
its normal, better be worried if it doesn't do that. :sneakiness:

Read up on all the features of the a/c unit in your owners manual to make sure you fully understand how it operates and functions. (starts of page 4/112)

"When using the air conditioning system, you may notice clear water dripping (or even puddling) on the ground under the passenger side of the vehicle. This is normal system operation characteristic."

here's the location on my model:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
When doing the inspections, do the Kia techs check to make sure the AC drain is not clogged or is this something you need to request? I remember some guy Soul got flooded inside..he said a couple of inches of water, was moving so vehicle was packed and didn't notice it until unpacking. Carpets got moldy...and said Kia would not do anything. Was really pisted off. (I would have thought the car would feel very humid!)

Guess requesting AC drain to be checked and then having the car flood...you can put the blame on Kia....

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
When doing the inspections, do the Kia techs check to make sure the AC drain is not clogged or is this something you need to request? I remember some guy Soul got flooded inside..he said a couple of inches of water, was moving so vehicle was packed and didn't notice it until unpacking. Carpets got moldy...and said Kia would not do anything. Was really pisted off. (I would have thought the car would feel very humid!)

Guess requesting AC drain to be checked and then having the car flood...you can put the blame on Kia....
There have been members here that have had clogged lines and we have discussed that. But that is when the water gets into the car not dripping out of the engine bay. Sometimes the lines do get clogged and have to be cleaned out. The outside dripping has nothing to do with nor does it lead to clogged lines.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
There have been members here that have had clogged lines and we have discussed that. But that is when the water gets into the car by not dripping out of the engine bay. Sometimes the lines do get clogged and have to be cleaned out. The outside dripping has nothing to do with nor does it lead to clogged lines.

I am a bit confused. The lines that get clogged are not the external drain one that was shown in the picture?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Its just condensation, I wouldnt believe anyone who said they had even an inch of water on the floorboard. At 80% humidity with a commercial dehumidifier it takes several hours to fill the 2 gallon catch container, now imagine trying to dehumidify with something only 25% of the surface area of the commercial dehumidifier and getting 4 gallons of water. The carpet and pad would absorb probably 2 gallons before you even noticed it was wet unless you were sitting on the passenger side and you heard the wet carpet squishing beneath your feet, another 2 gallons would give you an inch above the carpet. The only vehicle Ive ever owned with 2 inches of water in it was my 79 Ramcharger, had the top off one summer and left it out in a rain storm.

Run it on recirculate, then you dont have to dehumidify all the air coming through the system, if you are pulling air from the cabin it will already be partially dehumidified and cooler than the outside air.

I think ive had 1 vehicle in 20 years that dripped inside the cabin, and that was only after the heater core started leaking, lived on gravel roads, dust and antifreze plugged up the drain hose and i never thought to blow it out when i changed the heater core.

But to the O.P., if its not dripping and its hot and humid out, then its probably not working. So take it as a good sign that everything is working properly. Even your refrigerator does this, you just dont notice because it drips into an evaporation tray underneath where the fan blows on it and it all evaporates.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Man my 4runner got clogged once and I took a sharp turn and suddenly it was like someone dumped a liter bottle of water on someone's foot! It was freezing cold too! Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts