Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Trying to help my daughter with a new car purchase. She really likes a manual transmission and my thinking is the 2.0 is a better choice in the power department. Is this configuration available? I searched for hours trying to find one, no luck.
thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You cant even build one on their website. I find it hard to believe they don't exist. I'm Sorry, they don't answer the phone today and it's my only free day to do some homework.
Thanks

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Hello all,
Trying to help my daughter with a new car purchase. She really likes a manual transmission and my thinking is the 2.0 is a better choice in the power department. Is this configuration available? I searched for hours trying to find one, no luck.
thank you
you can get a manual in the 2.0L + model. Best thing is to drive both and see which you prefer. Did you try the "dealer inventory locator" on the KIA Motors website? Kia Cars, SUVs, Crossovers, Minivans, & Future Vehicles | Kia Motors America

You can build on the website, works for me just tried it and I'm not even in the US ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I bought a 2012 in that combination, and they are really rare. My local dealer had to make a trade to get it. Dealers have access to a website listing what is in stock in various regions, and when I was looking, there were 6 in the whole Northeast. Grab what you can, even if it isn't your favorite color.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a 2012 in that combination, and they are really rare. My local dealer had to make a trade to get it. Dealers have access to a website listing what is in stock in various regions, and when I was looking, there were 6 in the whole Northeast. Grab what you can, even if it isn't your favorite color.
figures, the one we like is rare....the hunt is on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
figures, the one we like is rare....the hunt is on.
On an optimistic note, when I was with the salesman, he did note that the South had the greatest number of cars in this combination. Also, Molten Red was available (your daughter may want that).

One other thing: you may not get the options you want. I would have preferred one with the upgraded sound system, leather seating and a sunroof. Had to settle without them and go aftermarket. The leather seating, at least, looks better than the OEM stuff.

By the way, the 2.0 is definitely peppier, and from 0 to about 50, it's surprisingly quick. I had also tried the various combinations.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had a 2012 + with a manual. It was a blast. I traded in for a auto only because my girlfriend didnt want to drive a stick. Dont settle for the auto if you want the stick. Its out there

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Hi Bought one two months ago . Walked into the lot and they had two 6 speed 2.0 manual tranny units 2013. Drove the 1.6 and 2.0 wasn't much choice with power of 2.0. I have 4600 miles on it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
AT was just a no brainer for me. Kick back.. let it do all the work with no maintenance EVER on the tranny. No ones having issues with the AT either, so it's rock solid.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am waiting to see 2014 but I will be getting a + with the manual. I will be towing it with my motor coach so need the manual. I did a dealer inventory search of 250 miles and wanted an alien and found 3 in I think NC. So they are around and the color I wanted also.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a 2011 2.0 5spd and I love it. My wife won't take the time to learn how to drive it but ... I can live with that.

One of my favorite things is when going down a hill, I put it in neutral and increase my MPG. It just keeps coasting at hwy speeds and I've had zero issues with my Soul. I'd go out on a limb and say that it's even more reliable then my Honda Civic. It's definitely more reliable then my Mazda5.

Buy a good 2012 if you can't find a 2013.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have a manual and the 1.6 (2013), and IMO I don't think it's a big deal that it's not the 2.0. I drove a 2.0 and didn't think it was so much greater that I'd pay extra money for it. There's about a 20 pound difference in torque but it's way up in the power band (almost 5k RPMS) that most people are never going to hit unless they're purposely driving that way. If your daughter's going to be winding it out every shift, she's probably looking for something more sports-car'ish than the Soul. I used to wind my Miata out that way, but not often, and that's a car built for it. Most people are never going to go beyond 4k RPM. In most people's driving range there's probably a 10-15lb torque difference, max. A difference, but not one that would make me hunt all over the country.

PS: If you were looking at an automatic that would be a different story. I have 2 of these cars (my wife drives a 2012 automatic 1.6) and the automatic is a noticeable drag on the smaller engine - my car feels far more alive and accelerates much stronger than hers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts