Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rear ended on Friday, driving about 40 mph. The back end was pretty crushed but considering the size of the truck that hit me, not too much damaged was caused. I was able to drive away from the accident. Two days later while on my way to work, I stopped at a stop light and the car just shut off. Long story short, my fuel censor was damaged and I had run out of gas, all though my instruments said half a tank. I put gas in the car and she started up fine. Attempted to drive home, but the engine sputters when it hits 3000 RMPs and doesn't want to go above 20 mph. It has also 24,000 miles on it. With the research I've done, I'm thinking it needs a fuel filter replacement. If so, where is it located and how do I change it. Thank you for any advice!!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
It is doubtful the fuel filter would need replacing at 24k miles.
Will the engine rev past 3k RPM in park or neutral?
May be a wiring issue related to fuel delivery or transmission or pinched fuel delivery line as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Any heavy jolt to the car and the fuel sensor is worthless and will have to be replaced, maybe more than once. I take you have not had the car fixed yet and as long as you haven't, what is causing the sputtering could be a myriad of things included said fuel sensor.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
If I were rear-ended at that speed and it wasn't my fault (well, probably even if it was somehow my fault) I would have had the car towed to a mechanic place of my choosing to get checked out, especially since you said the back end was crushed. Why did you drive it away?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
You need to get a thorough evaluation from a body shop to make sure everything is covered as obviously its effecting more than just simple body work. The filter is in the fuel pump in the tank, but its doubtful that is anything to do with your problem. It could have crushed or pinched fuel lines or vent lines effecting the system.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
780 Posts
And maybe even the exhaust....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes please post a picture! Very very unlikely the fuel filter is the problem. Exhaust or fuel lines make sense to me.

I also agree on not driving the car until it is fixed. You could just cause more damage.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You have insurance right? Take it to the shop and have them put it on a laser frame and have any damages done to the car repaired. I live in Elk Grove and 2 years ago I was rear ended at 40mph when I was at a stop. Drove it home and I had the same issue. It seems to be a safety thing because the hit stalled my engine and caused the check engine light to go off. Restarted when all was said and done and the light shut off but it didn't sound the same. Go to the shop and have the frame checked. The frame machine showed that some parts on the car were off on the dimensions. I went to Cooks Collision here in Elk Grove and they fixed it all up. Had to go back because of some unforeseen issues but they back all their work with a Lifetime Warranty and make sure that it looks good as new though. And yes the exhaust is most likely damaged just as mine was. But at least that was an easy fix.

View attachment 27393 View attachment 27401 View attachment 27409

1 - 10 of 10 Posts