Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Kia Soul base model. Today when I tried to back out of my garage I notice the right rear tire was locked and it won't spin until you give it gas and you hear a loud pop noise coming from the right rear. It doesn't do it when I'm driving it only happens after I put the car in park has anyone had this problem before I'm thinking the parking brake is messed up some how but not sure how to check it.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
sounds like the parking brake is sticking on the one wheel (it has its own drum set up on the rear wheel) - I presume your engaging the parking brake when your putting the car in park.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like the parking brake is sticking on the one wheel (it has its own drum set up on the rear wheel) - I presume your engaging the parking brake when your putting the car in park.

It doesn't matter if I use the parking brake I tried not using it and it still did it

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
probably a sticking piston on that wheel.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The discs/rotors can get surface rust particularly if salt or strong cleaners used with jet wash. The rust can cause pads to stick to rotors.
The rear calipers generally need attention first they probably need regreasing.
The regreasing should be done when new pads fitted. So is not usually a problem unless pads fitted by cowboys wyo only do part of job.

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I can't get the tire off to inspect the rotor and pad for rust but I don't think it is rust or corrosion because I live in San Diego and car rarely gets any moisture it really sounds like something mechanical is the problem because the problem comes and goes and it only happens after the car is put in park.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
So I can't get the tire off to inspect the rotor and pad for rust but I don't think it is rust or corrosion because I live in San Diego and car rarely gets any moisture it really sounds like something mechanical is the problem because the problem comes and goes and it only happens after the car is put in park.
Why can't you get the wheel off?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I don't have a jack or lug nut wrench car didn't come with it

Well... that does limit what you can do yourself to try to diagnose and fix the problem.

Maybe an investment in a jack, a set of jack stands, and a lug wrench are in order? As I see it, without them, you can't do much more than stare at the wheel.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
It sounds like you are getting advice from someone who has no Idea how the Soul works and is totally mis leading you.
Read your handbook All of it including how to drive section
You will learn there is no hand bake interlock with the type of Auto the Soul is. So there is no way selecting P or N will lock your brakes on.
If when you do jack up car and the wheel sticks on this is because the wheel is tight on the centre boss and you may need to hit the inside of wheel with 4lb club hammer to knock off centre bore.
The handbrake is drum operated is different mechanism from Rotors.
The drum and mechanism may need checking and lubricating.
If you have no tools you should take the car to a Kia garage they will be familiar with how it should all be.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts