Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began having a noise on my driver side close to the dash resembling the sound of a brake pad that needs changing. The only problem it is not constant and it occurs even when I'm not driving the car. I hear the noise worse when I press on my brakes as if it could be the pads but I also hear it when the car is moving. Kia dealer told me they've never heard the sound before and he was baffled as to what it could be. Has anyone experienced this sound....does anyone have a clue what it could be? Is there a pump close to the dash under the hood? This particular dealer changed my plugs 6/20/17 as well as the upgrade for my HVAC Control Head. They was to start fixing things they aren't for sure is causing the noise. Please help! Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome!

Maybe the A/C compressor, Alternator, or Water Pump?

Get a mechanics stethoscope from your local Harbor Freight (or order one online) and probe around while the sound is occurring. Might pin-point where you need to look.

·
Registered
488 Posts
welcome to the forum!

Do you have an AT or MT? Does it happen when the engine is idling in park or neutral or if MT not in gear? Does it sometimes happen when the engine is off but the key is in the on or acc setting? Is it louder in the cabin, under the hood, left or right side? Does it have any relationship to the AC, heater being on or the fan speed? When it does happen, does it change pitch or intensity when the RPMs are increased?

Has the dealership heard the sound?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Do you have an AT or MT? Does it happen when the engine is idling in park or neutral or if MT not in gear? Does it sometimes happen when the engine is off but the key is in the on or acc setting? Is it louder in the cabin, under the hood, left or right side? Does it have any relationship to the AC, heater being on or the fan speed? When it does happen, does it change pitch or intensity when the RPMs are increased?
What vangone said.
Then take a quality video & upload to youtube, post link here

·
Registered
544 Posts
I began having a noise on my driver side close to the dash resembling the sound of a brake pad that needs changing. The only problem it is not constant and it occurs even when I'm not driving the car. I hear the noise worse when I press on my brakes as if it could be the pads but I also hear it when the car is moving.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one.

From what you've described, sounds like your brake
pads are toast, probably your rotors also.

Plenty of places will check your brakes for FREE.

Glad you found the Kia Soul Forums.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
I agree with SoulCamper. Occam's razor suggests the most obvious answer is usually correct (but not always eh!)

I believe brake pads have a device in them that intentionally emits an unpleasant noise to warn the driver they need replacing. I know my Acura had that and clearly let me know when they needed changing.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
What SoulCamper said. Although if you hear it when you are not driving the car the brakes do not seem a likely culprit. The pad screechy noise thing only works when the wheels are turning, though (combined with a stuck caliper) it could happen when you're rolling but not pressing on the brakes. If it really doesn't happen when the car is not in motion, we need a lot more details and background to even make guesses.

Maybe you have a hamster stuck in the works?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts