Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2013 Kia Soul in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. After owning and driving it for 6 days, reaching only 300 miles, the power steering failed, and the ESC and steering wheel indicators on the dash illuminated. Took it into the dealer, where they say the steering column needs to be replaced and the part is in Korea. None available in the US right now, on back order with no ETA. Has anyone else encountered anything like this? How patient should one be in a case like this, versus demanding a new car in place of this one? This is a base model Soul, black, 6-speed manual transmission. No exact matches in local inventory as far as I can see online. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
If they can not give you an expected date on the replacement part and the car is unfit to drive then 1 of 2 things must happen next.
1-Replace the vehicle with a new one
2-Provide a rental car until the work is completed.
Chances are that if the delay is going to be a lengthy one, that Kia will authorize replacement of your vehicle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Depends on the laws in your state. In California the lemon law would indicate a replacement or refund if the vehicle was out of service for 30 days (total) during the warranty period.

If the dealer is unwilling to do something to satisfy you, as in the post above, you might do some research on consumer laws and mark your calendar. But it would seem that pursuing satisfactory recourse from the dealer would be the most likely to produce a happy outcome, for you and for them.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
that is extremely rare, hardly ever come across that on any forum and the odd one its been with quite some mileage on it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I purchased a 2013 Kia Soul in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. After owning and driving it for 6 days, reaching only 300 miles, the power steering failed, and the ESC and steering wheel indicators on the dash illuminated.
Thanks mjcola for posting this to the forums. I canister it like an early warning system on what may be recalled in the future if others post a similar problem.

Also, welcome to the forums, and hi from San Franscisco Bay.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi mjcola,
Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about the troubles! Seems really odd for such a part to fail at all, let alone when brand new!

+1 on the suggestion to ask the dealer for a free rental car.

If they don't provide one, and/or if you just want to know what your options are, I'd recommend opening a case with Kia customer service. Go to the "Owners" tab on the Kia.com website Kia Cars, SUVs, Crossovers, Minivans, & Future Vehicles | Kia Motors America and look for the "Contact Kia" button.

I think you have to register as an owner first, and include your VIN. Ask them what they will do for you. They've been pretty responsive when I've submitted questions.

Good luck with it, and hopefully it won't ruin your ownership experience - overall the Soul is a great little car!

Rob in HMB, CA
'12 Shadow !
'02 Bandit 1200
'00 BMW 740iL

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree about looking into your state's laws. If the vehicle is out more than 30 days, I'd be asking for a replacement. Like you said, it doesn't bode well for the future of your particular vehicle. My last vehicle was in the shop before 1K miles as well. It was finally lemon lawed and I bought a Soul.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It sucks that you need a new column already. But I highly doubt they will replace the vehicle with a new one. They will most likely give you a rental or a courtesy car from the dealership to use until your car is repaired. The only way you get a new one is if it effected by the lemon law.

James

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I bought my soul I asked the dealer (joking) if I did not like it could I return it. He said you have 17 days. That they had had a few cars come back. Not sure if this is true ,but worth asking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
got the same problem here in the UK my power steering failed on tight left lock,slow speed ,only done 1300 miles .Seeing what dealer has to say today

·
Registered
33 Posts
dealer has checked it out on the Diagnostic computer yesterday .and no fault found ??....will have to see if it does it again

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had my column replaced twice before they found out the problem. Mine was the first to have to be replaced (for this particular problem) I also had to wait for my part to come from Korea... I was supplied with a rental for those two weeks. Then it happened a second time and they brought in someone from Kia Canada to do the repair... again another rental for that week. No idea WHAT was wrong but they said mine was first and they were expecting it to happen to others until they get all the flawed parts replaced. (my first repair was after owning my car for one month and the second 6 months later... hasn't happened since )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts