Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
90,000 miles on a 2013 Soul. Mechanic says the engine needs replaced. I talked to Kia and since I'm not the original owner, I don't qualify for the extended powertrain warranty. I don't really understand how a warranty based on miles/time should be impacted by who owns the vehicle. Have there been any stories of people successfully working with kia to get a replacement covered in a situation like this?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Google Kia engine replacement settlement.
Lots to read there.

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
414 Posts
You will most likely have to have either a new or used engine put in. Kia is pretty strict on mileage for warranties

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The extra long warranty is for the original owner, sort of like an added perk when you buy a new car and they would throw something extra in.
Many of the Souls quality for the 15 years 150k miles engine warranty through service campaign SC200. Might want to call another dealer and see if your car is one of them

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our '15 Soul received the warranty short block in late 2019. We are the original owners, and it took some hoop jumping, but after many trips to the dealer, it happened. Including a loaner. Now, Kia has more engine oil consumption problems on more new vehicles. We were lucky. A lot of Kia owners not so much. I would not buy another one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our '15 Soul received the warranty short block in late 2019. We are the original owners, and it took some hoop jumping, but after many trips to the dealer, it happened. Including a loaner. Now, Kia has more engine oil consumption problems on more new vehicles. We were lucky. A lot of Kia owners not so much. I would not buy another one.
Nice!! It looks like all of the models and years around mine got recalls but not the 2013 for some reason

Also - I totally agree, I am definitely not going to be looking at another Kia after all this

·
Registered
16 Posts
90,000 miles on a 2013 Soul. Mechanic says the engine needs replaced. I talked to Kia and since I'm not the original owner, I don't qualify for the extended powertrain warranty. I don't really understand how a warranty based on miles/time should be impacted by who owns the vehicle. Have there been any stories of people successfully working with kia to get a replacement covered in a situation like this?
Mine wouldn't start all of a sudden at 94K miles. It's a 2013 Soul with 2.0L engine. My local mechanic told me it was one of the four pistons that lost compression. The car could start but stalled right away.

I contacted the dealer where I bought the car from some 7/8 years ago. Towed it there at my own expense. Dealer did the diagnostic and told me all piston compressions looked fine, but the fuel injector was bad and quoted me $1100 to replace all four + spark plugs, I gave the green light to proceed with the repair, and got the car back after 2 days.

But, just after a couple a couple hundred miles of driving, the engine started to jerk a lot at idle during red light. Having my finger crossed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice!! It looks like all of the models and years around mine got recalls but not the 2013 for some reason

Also - I totally agree, I am definitely not going to be looking at another Kia after all this
yup, a used Toyota with half the cost of a brand new Kia Soul could probably last twice as much. I do regret now.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Do let us know how it turns out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts