Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, owner of a 2013 Soul, base 1.6L A/T model with ~19,500 miles. For the past three/four days, I've had a phantom check-engine light. It would appear, and then a few drives later it would disappear. Didn't think much of it until just now when my car started acting funny!

I needed to move my car from the front of the house to the driveway near the back side of the house. Started the car, immediately noticed it was making a funny noise, CEL was on again (solid, not blinking), car was rumbling and clearly something was wrong.

Drove it only a short distance. Put it in reverse to turn around and the transmission was giving a good amount of resistance. Drove towards my driveway and couldn't get out of the low RPMs. Was delicate on the accelerator because clearly something was very wrong. Rumbled my way up the driveway and parked. This issue has not re-occurred since.

EDIT

Took my car to Autozone and got the code (P0638) read, its either an open/short circuit condition, dirty throttle body, faulty TPS, or faulty throttle actuator. Are any of these issues covered under Kia's warranty? Or are these items considered regular wear and tear (a bit early for stuff to be wearing already, especially before 20k miles)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have essentially the same car, and I've never had anything like that.

Before you do anything more, call your dealer and ask to speak to the Service Manager, assistant, etc. (someone with some mechanical knowledge)
Then explain to them exactly what you've said here. Coming here was a waste of your time.....always call your dealer's service dept first and follow their instructions.
No-one here can fix your car!..... even as much as we'd like to.

Good Luck!
:cool:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,527 Posts
Maybe some bad gas?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thought had crossed my mind, but I always use top tier gas (mainly Shell). Maybe I got gas after a refueling truck stopped by or something and stirred up some gunk?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Check engine light came on this morning, went to Auto zone after work.

Got the code (P0638) read, its either an open/short circuit condition, dirty throttle body, faulty TPS, or faulty throttle actuator. So.. What now. Haha

By the way, the check engine light was off when I drove from auto zone to home..

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
You're driving me crazy, with all this Auto Zone crap. They can't fix your car!!!!!!!!!

And, you're refusing to talk to your Kia dealer..........WHY?

They are the only ones, who have a Kia trained technician that can diagnose your problem and then fix it.

I'm on first name basis with all the key people at my dealership. That has served me well, over the past 2.5 years.

Someone you can call by their first name will be more willing to help you than a perfect stranger.
I can even EMail my Service Manager, and if he's not out of town, I'll have an answer back the same day.

I've practiced that person-to-person relationship since 2000 when I bought my first NEW car in many years.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're driving me crazy, with all this Auto Zone crap. They can't fix your car!!!!!!!!!

They are the only ones, who have a Kia trained technician that can diagnose your problem and then fix it.

I'm on first name basis with all the key people at my dealership. That has served me well, over the past 2.5 years.

Someone you can call by their first name will be more willing to help you than a perfect stranger.
I can even EMail my Service Manager, and if he's not out of town, I'll have an answer back the same day.

I've practiced that person-to-person relationship since 2000 when I bought my first NEW car in many years.

Good Luck!

Haha I know Autozone can't fix my car, but it's a much shorter drive to Autozone than it is to my local Kia dealership (especially for a code read to determine my next step).

I purchased my car from a dealership in Houston, but I live and work in Austin. I could go to the dealership here, and I figure they should be required to honor the Kia warranty as well, but would any of these problems indicated by the code fall under a warranty fix? Or would this simply be considered wear and tear?

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,651 Posts
It is a KIA WARRANTY. Take the car to a KIA dealer. As others remark, Auto Zone trips are a waste of time.

You need to go to the dealer and report what's happened.

Good Luck!

Haha I know Autozone can't fix my car, but it's a much shorter drive to Autozone than it is to my local Kia dealership (especially for a code read to determine my next step).

I purchased my car from a dealership in Houston, but I live and work in Austin. I could go to the dealership here, and I figure they should be required to honor the Kia warranty as well, but would any of these problems indicated by the code fall under a warranty fix? Or would this simply be considered wear and tear?

Reactions: User2014

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
check engine light came on this morning, went to auto zone after work.

Got the code (p0638) read, its either an open/short circuit condition, dirty throttle body, faulty tps, or faulty throttle actuator. So.. What now. Haha

by the way, the check engine light was off when i drove from auto zone to home..
my bet is bad tps and it should be covered ...one way to find out . Take it to the dealer , tell them to fix it but only if it's covered under warranty as you cant spend any $ on it . As for the light being off, that is normal with a soft code or an intermittent problem .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts