Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Now we have more info. So you have an MPI engine not a GDI so at least we know that. Your car loses power at times and the only code that ever came up is a p0106. That is a code for the MAP sensor, it is quite easy to test the MAP sensor itself but as it did not cure the problem it is likely that it wasn't bad in the first place. So what you might be having is a correlation issue from the MAP sensor and the throttle position sensor on your throttle body. Pretty easy tests to run at a shop, they don't have to be "bad" meaning failed completely but just out of spec and near failure is enough. There are other possible reasons that people have already mentioned, a plugged up air intake or filter (assuming that was checked right away), a small vacuum leak (have them check the check valve to the brake booster particularly), a dirty throttle body etc.. etc... Without having your car in front of me it is difficult to tell but if this has happened on several occasions it is not going to fix itself. You mentioned your mechanic put it on a scope, do you mean he used a scanner/code reader or actually had an oscilloscope checking the MAP sensor and TPS outputs? The dealership can check all these out. You should give them the info about it having the code p0106 previously and that MAP sensor was replaced, this will lead them down the diagnostic line I just spoke about.
Now we have more info. So you have an MPI engine not a GDI so at least we know that. Your car loses power at times and the only code that ever came up is a p0106. That is a code for the MAP sensor, it is quite easy to test the MAP sensor itself but as it did not cure the problem it is likely that it wasn't bad in the first place. So what you might be having is a correlation issue from the MAP sensor and the throttle position sensor on your throttle body. Pretty easy tests to run at a shop, they don't have to be "bad" meaning failed completely but just out of spec and near failure is enough. There are other possible reasons that people have already mentioned, a plugged up air intake or filter (assuming that was checked right away), a small vacuum leak (have them check the check valve to the brake booster particularly), a dirty throttle body etc.. etc... Without having your car in front of me it is difficult to tell but if this has happened on several occasions it is not going to fix itself. You mentioned your mechanic put it on a scope, do you mean he used a scanner/code reader or actually had an oscilloscope checking the MAP sensor and TPS outputs? The dealership can check all these out. You should give them the info about it having the code p0106 previously and that MAP sensor was replaced, this will lead them down the diagnostic line I just spoke about.
I did tell them that the map sensor was replaced but i didnt give them the code because i didnt have the paperwork with me and they didnt ask. I was planning on picking up the car today since they cant find anything wrong, but I will bring your email and make sure they read it. Not sure if they have already checked any of those things you mention, but this at least gives them some new avenues to check. Sounds like you really know your stuff here. Wish you were my mechanic. At least you believe me when i say that something is definitely wrong with the car that ive wanted to own since they first came on the market. Thank you again for all this info.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm sure your dealer has capable mechanics and if they have the code that was set they will know where to start looking

·
Registered
61 Posts
Could the problem be the fuel filter? I remember having a problem with my Ford Grenada where I would come to a stop and then the car would try to accelerate but just stall out. After sitting for awhile, the car would run fine . . . for awhile and then the same problem would happen again. Turned out while driving start and stop or over rough roads the dirt particles in the filter were agitated (like a snow globe) and would restrict the fuel to the engine. When the car would sit, the loose particles would settle to the bottom and fuel could flow easy again until the next agitation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Could the problem be the fuel filter? I remember having a problem with my Ford Grenada where I would come to a stop and then the car would try to accelerate but just stall out. After sitting for awhile, the car would run fine . . . for awhile and then the same problem would happen again. Turned out while driving start and stop or over rough roads the dirt particles in the filter were agitated (like a snow globe) and would restrict the fuel to the engine. When the car would sit, the loose particles would settle to the bottom and fuel could flow easy again until the next agitation.
Thank you. The car has been at the dealership for almost a week and they cant find anything wrong...yet. Frustrating as heck

·
Registered
879 Posts
Intermittent problems are hard to track down. I hope you relay to them the code that it set so they have something to go on and can do some tests.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you. The car has been at the dealership for almost a week and they cant find anything wrong...yet. Frustrating as heck
Car is still at dealership. I went down there over weekend and made them read what you mentioned. I would
Intermittent problems are hard to track down. I hope you relay to them the code that it set so they have something to go on and can do some tests.
Fyi..its been 7 days and i dont think they have figured out what is causing the no power issue with my 2013 Soul. I say that I dont think because they stopped returning any of my phone calls, text messages, emails or vmails. Not a happy person right now with the dealership or with kia motors. Its time to kick it into high gear. Grrr

·
Registered
879 Posts
I am not sure if they are just unable to duplicate your issue or what the problem is. It is hard to find intermittent problems and it requires some time and effort. Not sure how much time you authorized to find the issue so if you just paid for a basic 1 hour diagnosis their hands may be tied and they likely haven't looked at it much after that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I am not sure if they are just unable to duplicate your issue or what the problem is. It is hard to find intermittent problems and it requires some time and effort. Not sure how much time you authorized to find the issue so if you just paid for a basic 1 hour diagnosis their hands may be tied and they likely haven't looked at it much after that.
I told them to keep the car as long as they neesed. Said to take it home and drive it like it was their own car. They didnt find anuthing. Im saving for a new car and am going to get rid of thos one. Too unreliable. Im done

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,617 Posts
I told them to keep the car as long as they neesed. Said to take it home and drive it like it was their own car. They didnt find anuthing. Im saving for a new car and am going to get rid of thos one. Too unreliable. Im done
Hi Nita, do you run a bottle of Techron through the tank every so often? If not, I'd give it a try just because nothing else seems to be working.

All the best!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Most likely your car has one issue that they weren't able to find and if found would have given you many more years of reliable service and quite the savings over purchasing a new car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2013 soul with 50k miles ( owned it 5 yrs and put 25k miles on it) religiously maintained, just started to act like its not getting any gas at acceleration. Issue is intermittent. No check engine light at first. Took to mechanic and they drove for 3 days, put on scope and found nothing wrong. Week later, started car and check engine light was on. Took back to mechanic and they placed MAP sensor and put on scope again. Said everything else checked out. 3 days later, at stop light and engine shut off. Started car and it again acted like it wasnt getting gas in low gears. Parked car for an hr, started it back up and drove it 5 miles home with no issues , but last 1/4 mile it felt like it was losing power again, but didnt drive far enough to really tell before I was home. Very frustrated and leary about going back to same mechanic. Should take it to the dealership but $$$$. Any suggestions or others with similar issue? Please Help
I received a "product improvement campaign" letter from Kia to go to the dealer and get an upgrade on the knock sensor detector system which identified when there is a bad connecting rod on the engine block , which can cause engine failure. The system will cause the car to go into limp mode so you can't drive at full speed, but allows to get to a mechanic to identify the trouble. If there are vibrations when driving it could be the connecting rod issue which is a known problem. Search that and read on! Trouble for me is my car is at 155K so post warranty EVEN if I got the system upgrade to detect this error and my car ALREADY shows signs of this trouble ( The vibration at times, deceleration and limp mode- can't go past 60 MPH not on highway). My car had oil changes and all maintenance! Your car however will be eligible to get the system upgrade and an extended warranty and if that is the problem Kia likely will fix it then under warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I received a "product improvement campaign" letter from Kia to go to the dealer and get an upgrade on the knock sensor detector system which identified when there is a bad connecting rod on the engine block , which can cause engine failure. The system will cause the car to go into limp mode so you can't drive at full speed, but allows to get to a mechanic to identify the trouble. If there are vibrations when driving it could be the connecting rod issue which is a known problem. Search that and read on! Trouble for me is my car is at 155K so post warranty EVEN if I got the system upgrade to detect this error and my car ALREADY shows signs of this trouble ( The vibration at times, deceleration and limp mode- can't go past 60 MPH not on highway). My car had oil changes and all maintenance! Your car however will be eligible to get the system upgrade and an extended warranty and if that is the problem Kia likely will fix it then under warranty.
PS: Mine is a 2013 Kia Soul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like it is in/going into limp mode. Very first thing I would do is get a full tank of 93 octane and see what happens. I have cured a couple of limp mode incidents on my car with a fresh tank of higher octane gas.

Also post up here what your codes are. You can get an inexpensive code reader for about 30 bucks, and I wouldn't not own one because I like pulling my own codes if I throw a light. I have had a few misfire codes over the years - always related to bad gas or too much gas, like starting and shutting off the car too many times without letting it idle for a minute - and fresh 89+ octane always fixed it. I have a 2013 1.6 manual.
extension://nhppiemcomgngbgdeffdgkhnkjlgpcdi/data/pdf.js/web/viewer.html?file=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.nhtsa.gov%2Fodi%2Frcl%2F2020%2FRCLRPT-20V750-5519.PDF

·
Registered
879 Posts
Your car can go into limp mode for multiple reasons. Get it checked out, a misfire will cause it as well as a rod bearing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hi Nita, do you run a bottle of Techron through the tank every so often? If not, I'd give it a try just because nothing else seems to be working.

All the best!
Thank you. I will try anything now. I took my car back from the dealership on friday cuz they couldnt find anything wrong. Drove home okay. Didnt drive it on sat at all and this am it died in the drive thru when getting bkfst. Didnt think it was going to make it home. I dont know where else to turn.
Thank you. I will send this to the dealership and ask them if his applies

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry to read about all your frustrating difficulties, Nitasweeta! It does sound to me like your selling dealer's service people are pretty weak on customer service and assistance. If it were me, I would try a different Kia dealer that's close to where you live or work. Very good luck to you.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts