Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 soul with 50k miles ( owned it 5 yrs and put 25k miles on it) religiously maintained, just started to act like its not getting any gas at acceleration. Issue is intermittent. No check engine light at first. Took to mechanic and they drove for 3 days, put on scope and found nothing wrong. Week later, started car and check engine light was on. Took back to mechanic and they placed MAP sensor and put on scope again. Said everything else checked out. 3 days later, at stop light and engine shut off. Started car and it again acted like it wasnt getting gas in low gears. Parked car for an hr, started it back up and drove it 5 miles home with no issues , but last 1/4 mile it felt like it was losing power again, but didnt drive far enough to really tell before I was home. Very frustrated and leary about going back to same mechanic. Should take it to the dealership but $$$$. Any suggestions or others with similar issue? Please Help

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Sounds like it is in/going into limp mode. Very first thing I would do is get a full tank of 93 octane and see what happens. I have cured a couple of limp mode incidents on my car with a fresh tank of higher octane gas.

Also post up here what your codes are. You can get an inexpensive code reader for about 30 bucks, and I wouldn't not own one because I like pulling my own codes if I throw a light. I have had a few misfire codes over the years - always related to bad gas or too much gas, like starting and shutting off the car too many times without letting it idle for a minute - and fresh 89+ octane always fixed it. I have a 2013 1.6 manual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it is in/going into limp mode. Very first thing I would do is get a full tank of 93 octane and see what happens. I have cured a couple of limp mode incidents on my car with a fresh tank of higher octane gas.

Also post up here what your codes are. You can get an inexpensive code reader for about 30 bucks, and I wouldn't not own one because I like pulling my own codes if I throw a light. I have had a few misfire codes over the years - always related to bad gas or too much gas, like starting and shutting off the car too many times without letting it idle for a minute - and fresh 89+ octane always fixed it. I have a 2013 1.6 manual.
I always use mid grade gas. Never regular grade

·
Registered
869 Posts
Start with what engine you have and also tell us what codes they had that led them to replace the MAP sensor. $$$$ for the correct diagnosis is no where near as expensive as constantly breaking down and paying for MAP sensors that don't fix the problem.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
Have you run Techron through the tank? If not, pour a bottle in just prior to fill up.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums! !

·
Registered
10 Posts
i got a cold air intake filter to increase (hopefully) my 2012 souls HP and i forgot to clean the filter, dooh, and I got the same behavior, inadequate air intake, maybe?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 soul with 50k miles ( owned it 5 yrs and put 25k miles on it) religiously maintained, just started to act like its not getting any gas at acceleration. Issue is intermittent. No check engine light at first. Took to mechanic and they drove for 3 days, put on scope and found nothing wrong. Week later, started car and check engine light was on. Took back to mechanic and they placed MAP sensor and put on scope again. Said everything else checked out. 3 days later, at stop light and engine shut off. Started car and it again acted like it wasnt getting gas in low gears. Parked car for an hr, started it back up and drove it 5 miles home with no issues , but last 1/4 mile it felt like it was losing power again, but didnt drive far enough to really tell before I was home. Very frustrated and leary about going back to same mechanic. Should take it to the dealership but $$$$. Any suggestions or others with similar issue? Please Help
Kia just issued a Performance Improvement for this problem. Call your dealer, they will replace a computer part that will fix this, no charge and fast. Continuing to drive it can result in engine fires. Not a car geek but read this forum to learn. Just took mine in, affects Soul 2013-2016. Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you. I finally broke down and took it to the dealership where I bought it and THEY couldnt find out why it was running so poorly. I told them to keep it until they do. If their cars arent warranted to run for more than 51k miles without engine problems, then we will have a serious discussion with Kia Corp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. I finally broke down and took it to the dealership where I bought it and THEY couldnt find out why it was running so poorly. I told them to keep it until they do. If their cars arent warranted to run for more than 51k miles without engine problems, then we will have a serious discussion with Kia Corp.
Kia just issued a Performance Improvement for this problem. Call your dealer, they will replace a computer part that will fix this, no charge and fast. Continuing to drive it can result in engine fires. Not a car geek but read this forum to learn. Just took mine in, affects Soul 2013-2016. Good luck
Novayjose...can I ask which dealership you took your car to have this repair done? I have my car at same kia dealership that I bought it from and these guys wont even read your email. Ive sent it to them twice and followed up with a call and text but they arent even considering this as a viable cause of my car trouble. Instead, they keep saying "there's nothing wrong with it". Makes me so angry. Bet if I were a man, they would take this more seriously. Anyway, i was thinking of taking it to a different kia dealership in my area (So CA) but thought igf maybe they could talk to the service dept who did your repair, they might actually be able to find and fix the cause of my cars problem. I would appreciate the name of dealership and approx date of repair on your car. Thank you for all your help. Anita

·
Registered
869 Posts
People have offered to help on here. We asked which engine you have and you have not responded. There are different engines available in your year so knowing which one you have would help us steer you in the right direction. The ECU software update that was mentioned is for the 1.6 so if you have the 2.0 it would not apply for the 2013. The upgrade that was mentioned does not help with your problem anyway as it does nothing for the stalling issue you are having.
You still did not mention what codes were in your car that caused your mechanic to replace the MAP sensor, that would be a big clue as to what is going on, perhaps a diagnosis is on your receipt or you can call them and ask.
If you are trying to get your car fixed and feel the dealership is not being helpful and want to get some honest advice from people that may have experienced a similar problem (I am a tech at a dealership, I have seen nearly every problem possible on these and lots of people on here are very familiar with your exact car) I recommend you provide additional information.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
People have offered to help on here. We asked which engine you have and you have not responded. There are different engines available in your year so knowing which one you have would help us steer you in the right direction. The ECU software update that was mentioned is for the 1.6 so if you have the 2.0 it would not apply for the 2013. The upgrade that was mentioned does not help with your problem anyway as it does nothing for the stalling issue you are having.
You still did not mention what codes were in your car that caused your mechanic to replace the MAP sensor, that would be a big clue as to what is going on, perhaps a diagnosis is on your receipt or you can call them and ask.
If you are trying to get your car fixed and feel the dealership is not being helpful and want to get some honest advice from people that may have experienced a similar problem (I am a tech at a dealership, I have seen nearly every problem possible on these and lots of people on here are very familiar with your exact car) I recommend you provide additional information.
How do i find out what size engine it has. Does it say on the engine? I know nothing about engines, motors, transmissions or anything else under the hood. I dont have a husband, boyfriend or brother to ask. Maybe you can give me an idea of the best place to look to get the info, please?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i got a cold air intake filter to increase (hopefully) my 2012 souls HP and i forgot to clean the filter, dooh, and I got the same behavior, inadequate air intake, maybe?
what is involved with getting a cold air intake filter on my car? Is this something that I can do myself or should I take it to a mechanic?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Since your car is not there I can't just ask for a picture of the engine as we would recognize it that way. There are VIN decoders online so if you have your registration or title or insurance you can use the vehicle identification number to find out

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think i found the info you asked for. Its a 2.0L 4 cylinder MPI DOHC. 6 SPEED AUTOMATIC. THE engine code for the MAP sensor replacement was PO106. Trace problem to faulty MAP sensor. Anything else you need? I appreciate your help, i really do. Im not lazy, just tired. Work 45-50 hrs a week and dont check my email regularly. I will for the time being. Thank you again.

·
Registered
550 Posts
what is involved with getting a cold air intake filter on my car? Is this something that I can do myself or should I take it to a mechanic?
As far as the cold air intake is concerned most people relegate it to a fancy dress mod. Not that it doesn't work, just that among normal mechanics no one cares enough to do it for themselves. I would recommend you inspect your normal air filter. If your normal air filter needs replaced then I would recommend replacing it with a new quality normal air filter. CAI is usually for the I wish I could afford a Ferrari but I drive this instead crowd.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As far as the cold air intake is concerned most people relegate it to a fancy dress mod. Not that it doesn't work, just that among normal mechanics no one cares enough to do it for themselves. I would recommend you inspect your normal air filter. If your normal air filter needs replaced then I would recommend replacing it with a new quality normal air filter. CAI is usually for the I wish I could afford a Ferrari but I drive this instead crowd.
I wouldnt want a ferrari. I love my kia and 3 more payments and its all mine. It suits me. Fits my personality.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Now we have more info. So you have an MPI engine not a GDI so at least we know that. Your car loses power at times and the only code that ever came up is a p0106. That is a code for the MAP sensor, it is quite easy to test the MAP sensor itself but as it did not cure the problem it is likely that it wasn't bad in the first place. So what you might be having is a correlation issue from the MAP sensor and the throttle position sensor on your throttle body. Pretty easy tests to run at a shop, they don't have to be "bad" meaning failed completely but just out of spec and near failure is enough. There are other possible reasons that people have already mentioned, a plugged up air intake or filter (assuming that was checked right away), a small vacuum leak (have them check the check valve to the brake booster particularly), a dirty throttle body etc.. etc... Without having your car in front of me it is difficult to tell but if this has happened on several occasions it is not going to fix itself. You mentioned your mechanic put it on a scope, do you mean he used a scanner/code reader or actually had an oscilloscope checking the MAP sensor and TPS outputs? The dealership can check all these out. You should give them the info about it having the code p0106 previously and that MAP sensor was replaced, this will lead them down the diagnostic line I just spoke about.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts