Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my car and didn't wait a week before personalizing it. One thing I am NOT crazy about is the bumpy chip guard finish beneath the doors the length of the "rocker panel". Is there either an aftermarket or previous model years' part that will give it a cleaner look and over-all clean panel with washing/detailing the car?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,136 Posts
Nope not that I'm aware of! :think

·
Registered
140 Posts
You can try a mod body shop or a parts store that kids go to.
They make stainless steel rocker panels for most cars. I once put them on a fiat spyder. Make sure you seal them from road salts and moisture.
Maybe J.C. Whitney would have them.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,167 Posts
there is OEM side skirts available.

I approached it different as I think they did a great thing with the undercoating but I don't find it protects enough so I extended it by coating the rocker panel with rubberize rocker panel coating (I had it on my previous Kia and worked out well) to below the door - $10 from Canadian Tire and a little masking and time. Very easy and cheap to touch up. I've extended it to over the clear 3m film the factory puts on the lower corner of the rear doors as I found that wasn't large enough to provide enough protection.

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
...extended it by coating the rocker panel with rubberize rocker panel coating (I had it on my previous Kia and worked out well) to below the door - $10 from Canadian Tire and a little masking and time.
Now that is something that I can dig. How is its finish, gloss or flat? Brand name? How does it wear? Information please or there will be no cookies for you, SC.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,167 Posts
Now that is something that I can dig. How is its finish, gloss or flat? Brand name? How does it wear? Information please or there will be no cookies for you, SC.
Like I said its a rubberize rocker panel black spray coating in a matte finish and it also can be painted if you wish. I had it on my '08 Rondo for over three years and it did the job, most small stones, etc bounce off it but if you get one that maybe nicked to the paint you can easily touch it up and unlike paint you don't have to be too concerned about matching or doing anything fancy. Just protect the painted area close by the problem and spray again - good as new.

The product I use is made in Canada but it should be available at any automotive place (Walmart, etc) as its also used for soundproofing and undercoating areas. It dries semi-hard and it is quite thick.

Here's a close up of the lower door area where I sprayed it over the clear 3m tape that to me wasn't large enough to offer full protection. I tried clear Plasti-dip at first (6 coats) but it doesn't stand up and doesn't look very good once things start hitting it, tends to peal like loose skin ;)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Actually,I'm in the process of doing the same trim as conwelpic did.My motivation was
to "lower" the sides of the Soul.If you note the upcoming 2014,there is a black trim very similar
top this on the lower sides.Also,to keep the line to visually lower the vehicle,there is
corresponding black trim on the front&rear.I'm using DupliColor Trim Black.The finish is
very durable.You can get OEM results with the look.Be sure to use Adhesion Promoter before
doing the color coats.I'm not to keen onusing the ruberized undercoat.It really does not look factory
to use on panels that show.

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Like I said its a rubberize rocker panel black spray coating in a matte finish and it also can be painted if you wish. I had it on my '08 Rondo for over three years and it did the job, most small stones, etc bounce off it but if you get one that maybe nicked to the paint you can easily touch it up and unlike paint you don't have to be too concerned about matching or doing anything fancy. Just protect the painted area close by the problem and spray again - good as new.
The product I use is made in Canada but it should be available at any automotive place (Walmart, etc) as its also used for soundproofing and undercoating areas. It dries semi-hard and it is quite thick.
Here's a close up of the lower door area where I sprayed it over the clear 3m tape that to me wasn't large enough to offer full protection. I tried clear Plasti-dip at first (6 coats) but it doesn't stand up and doesn't look very good once things start hitting it, tends to peal like loose skin ;)
Ok, good, thanks. Chocolate Chip Ok? Milk or Soda?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I love my car and didn't wait a week before personalizing it. One thing I am NOT crazy about is the bumpy chip guard finish beneath the doors the length of the "rocker panel". Is there either an aftermarket or previous model years' part that will give it a cleaner look and over-all clean panel with washing/detailing the car?
My Soul is White, so the bumpy coating on the Rocker Panel was white too. It was totally impossible to get clean or keep clean. So I got a can of spray on Bed-Liner (Black) and re-coated my rocker panel with that. It looks good and is no problem now to keep clean.

While I was at it, I also sprayed the insides of the wheel wells, where some white paint was showing.
That spray on Bed-Liner is really some great stuff.

Cheers Mate!
TM :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
The KIA Accessory body kit has rocker panel covers that go over that area and give a smooth surface.

Here, on Soul Sailor's car.

Kia Canada is listing them at CDN$498.17

1 - 10 of 10 Posts