Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the steering coupler and now all my warning lights are on my RPM gauge and the thermostat gauge does not work with my A/C which does not work. Anyone have this happen after the coupling was replaced? I am lost!

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
784 Posts
I just replaced the steering coupler and now all my warning lights are on my RPM gauge and the thermostat gauge does not work with my A/C which does not work. Anyone have this happen after the coupling was replaced? I am lost!

Assuming this isn't a separate, unrelated problem it sounds like an electrical connection didn't get reconnected during the steering coupler replacement. Did you replace it yourself? You'll have to recheck that everything got plugged back in. Did you disconnect the battery beforehand? If someone else replaced the coupler, I'd take it back to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming this isn't a separate, unrelated problem it sounds like an electrical connection didn't get reconnected during the steering coupler replacement. Did you replace it yourself? You'll have to recheck that everything got plugged back in. Did you disconnect the battery beforehand? If someone else replaced the coupler, I'd take it back to them.
Yes I did it myself. Everything was fine before but now its not. I doubled checked all my harnesses and checked all fuses and still have the same problem. I did disconnect the battery before doing anything. I am at my wits end on this.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yes I did it myself. Everything was fine before but now its not. I doubled checked all my harnesses and checked all fuses and still have the same problem. I did disconnect the battery before doing anything. I am at my wits end on this.

I've been busy watching YouTube videos of steering coupler replacements and none of them mention about calibrating the ECU afterwards, although KIA's TSB for this replacement talks about calibrating the steering afterwards. Here's the TSB (pdf):

I'm also not aware whether you're able to reset the ECU on a Soul. Usually disconnecting the battery terminals for 10 minutes does this automatically with most cars.

That said, I did come across this simple, non-invasive procedure for resetting a car's ECU that might be worth a try. (below) Otherwise you could try disconnecting both poles of the battery for 10 minutes and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have watched every video on replacing this and I didnt see that either. I will try to reset the ECU and see what happens. The PDF was very helpful and I like the one you posted better. I will let you know what happens. (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally found the problem! One of the wires was pinched somehow and caused all the problems. Connected the pinched wire back together and the problem fixed! Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Finally found the problem! One of the wires was pinched somehow and caused all the problems. Connected the pinched wire back together and the problem fixed! Thank you for all your help.

Awesome, great news!
A pinched or accidentally cut wire was the other option that turned up in my research, but I wanted to make sure the easy stuff was eliminated beforehand. I didn't want you to get discouraged by that more troublesome prospect, especially if it was something as simple as a missed plug connection. Worse than pinched wires was the possibility of connection pins not making contact. I've seen enough videos of just how tight the space is when replacing a steering coupler, so much can unknowingly go wrong.

How did you discover it was a pinched wire, did you methodically check each wire's voltage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts