Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On September 5 , 2020 my 22 year old daughter had bored my car because my husband was fixing a few things on her car And we don’t want her to go without a means of transportation with 3 year old then on September 7 , 2020 at 3:50pm I receive the worst call a parent can get is that my daughter had been in a head on car accident with my 3 year old grandson in the back seat me and my husband got the seen of the wreck and they was transporting my daughter to the hospital the whole full of my 2013 Kia Soul was cracked in and not one air bags was deployed my just blessed that my daughter or Grandson wasn’t killed in that wreck they say air bags saves lives then why don’t they deploy in a head on car wreck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On September 5 , 2020 my 22 year old daughter had bored my car because my husband was fixing a few things on her car And we don’t want her to go without a means of transportation with 3 year old then on September 7 , 2020 at 3:50pm I receive the worst call a parent can get is that my daughter had been in a head on car accident with my 3 year old grandson in the back seat me and my husband got the seen of the wreck and they was transporting my daughter to the hospital the whole full of my 2013 Kia Soul was cracked in and not one air bags was deployed my just blessed that my daughter or Grandson wasn’t killed in that wreck they say air bags saves lives then why don’t they deploy in a head on car wreck

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,321 Posts
Glad to hear they are ok.

No need to start another thread on this, it's the third one so far.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There must have been a fault somewhere in the system. The airbags were supposed to deploy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Maybe the system didn't "think" it was a hard enough hit?
Looks pretty solid to me, but could have been much worse.
Hope your people are OK. Cars can be fixed or replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe the system didn't "think" it was a hard enough hit?
Looks pretty solid to me, but could have been much worse.
Hope your people are OK. Cars can be fixed or replaced.
You or right about about it could have been a lot worse I’m blessed beyond words that my daughter and my 3 year old grandson is still with me my daughter’s has a hurt neck and her knee is hurt and my grandson is scared a lot right now they both or receiving medical treatment but they both or still alive that all that matters

·
Registered
650 Posts

Frontal air bags are generally designed to deploy in "moderate to severe" frontal or near-frontal crashes, which are defined as crashes that are equivalent to hitting a solid, fixed barrier at 8 to 14 mph or higher. (This would be equivalent to striking a parked car of similar size at about 16 to 28 mph or higher.)
Her car "dived" during the panic braking and the airbag sensor that is located on the rigid bumper, didn't get hit/engaged.
It happens on cars with old shocks, during emergency braking, especially when they rear-end a truck/SUV that has the rear bumper installed higher. It happend in one of my older cars too when it hit a lifted SUV.
I think is criminal that many states allow trucks to be "lifted", hence rendering cars air-bags sensors ineffective in case of a rear end accident. But since they deem that accident to be "your fault", it is seldom contested.

However, since that lesson learned, I replaced the front strut package (struts+springs) in my wife and daughter cars exactly because of this reason - front end "diving" under panic braking. They are not kidding when they recommend replacement of shocks/struts at 50-80k miles.

My experience: At 75k, on my 2011 Soul !, the removed OE shocks were obviously less effective than the new ones. I did myself both front struts (packages) and rear shocks.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
806 Posts
I think SoNic67's explanation makes logical sense and seems to be the reason the airbags didn't deploy. And even more so if a truck was involved. We weren't given any details on the specifics of this accident so it's really all speculation at this point.

Thank God no one was hurt and I hope that both the daughter and grandson went to the hospital afterwards to be checked out. Even if you feel fine after an accident, you should still go to the hospital to be checked out because accidents tend to surge your adrenaline which can mask pain and injury. Plus it's the only way to know that you didn't sustain any internal injuries.

That said, notice that the photos of the crash show exactly why the Soul has such a high safety rating by the IIHS; Even though the car is totaled, the passenger cockpit is still intact! Just head over to the IIHS's channel on YouTube and you'll see many crash tests where that isn't always the case.

Reactions: GeoSoul and Buzz

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,068 Posts
No cross posting allowed.

Duplicate threads merged.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Her car "dived" during the panic braking and the airbag sensor that is located on the rigid bumper, didn't get hit/engaged.
It happens on cars with old shocks, during emergency braking, especially when they rear-end a truck/SUV that has the rear bumper installed higher. It happend in one of my older cars too when it hit a lifted SUV.
I think is criminal that many states allow trucks to be "lifted", hence rendering cars air-bags sensors ineffective in case of a rear end accident. But since they deem that accident to be "your fault", it is seldom contested.

However, since that lesson learned, I replaced the front strut package (struts+springs) in my wife and daughter cars exactly because of this reason - front end "diving" under panic braking. They are not kidding when they recommend replacement of shocks/struts at 50-80k miles.

My experience: At 75k, on my 2011 Soul !, the removed OE shocks were obviously less effective than the new ones. I did myself both front struts (packages) and rear shocks.

My daughter don’t have time to do any Panic breaking she was making a right hand turn when the young man hit my daughter and grandson head on

My daughter don’t have time to do any Panic breaking it all my daughter was trying to make a right hand turn heading home with my 3 year old grandson if you look at the pictures that is from the other vehicle and yes my daughter and grandson both was transported from the scene of a car wreck the the hospital I don’t can’t give out more until information because my daughter is being represented by an attorney

I think SoNic67's explanation makes logical sense and seems to be the reason the airbags didn't deploy. And even more so if a truck was involved. We weren't given any details on the specifics of this accident so it's really all speculation at this point.

Thank God no one was hurt and I hope that both the daughter and grandson went to the hospital afterwards to be checked out. Even if you feel fine after an accident, you should still go to the hospital to be checked out because accidents tend to surge your adrenaline which can mask pain and injury. Plus it's the only way to know that you didn't sustain any internal injuries.

That said, notice that the photos of the crash show exactly why the Soul has such a high safety rating by the IIHS; Even though the car is totaled, the passenger cockpit is still intact! Just head over to the IIHS's channel on YouTube and you'll see many crash tests where that isn't always the case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My daughter don’t have time to do any Panic breaking she was making a right hand turn when the young man hit my daughter and grandson head on

My daughter don’t have time to do any Panic breaking it all my daughter was trying to make a right hand turn heading home with my 3 year old grandson if you look at the pictures that is from the other vehicle and yes my daughter and grandson both was transported from the scene of a car wreck the the hospital I don’t can’t give out more until information because my daughter is being represented by an attorney and these pictures was taken by my daughter’s attorney so they had someone what orange thing walk out the marks that the other vehicle worth So basically That young man was speeding to have to hard break for 73.5 feet and still hit my daughter and grandson head on and and good rate of speed View attachment 134783

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
801 Posts
Looks like the other car did the panic braking.
Do you know what he was driving?

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
2013 KIA SOUL SUV FWD
2013 KIA SOUL

Overall Safety Rating
4 star

Combines Driver and Passenger star ratings into a single frontal rating. The frontal barrier test simulates a head-on collision between two similar vehicles, each moving at 35 mph.

Front Driver Side
4 star

Front Passenger Side
4 star

Front Driver Safety bumps up to 5 Stars in Gen 2 and Gen 3
Front Passenger Side remains the same at 4 Stars for Gen 2 & 3

Overall Safety Gen 2 is 5 Stars
Overall Safety Gen 3 is 4 Stars

souce: NHTSA

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
650 Posts
Those safety ratings are the biggest deception. Because they test the car against a fixed obstacle. So they test how well the car kinetic energy alone gets handled/absorbed.
In cases when the car hits another MOVING object, the impact energy is the sum of your car plus the other car energy. If the other car is heavier, it will have more energy.
Well... how that energy gets divided between the two cars? It gets divided based on conservation of impulse. Impulse = Mass x Speed.
The biggest mass gets a smaller speed delta while the smaller mass gets a bigger speed delta. So the small car absorbs more of the total impact energy. That can be many, many times more than the tested value that are pandered by those "safety" institutes.

If you can't follow the logic, think what happens when a car hits a dump truck. The heavy truck will be slowed down a bit probably, but the small car will be probably projected backwards. Acceleration for the occupants inside the small car will be orders of magnitude bigger of what the occupants of the big truck feel.

Also a car with longer crumple zone (long front hood) can absorb that energy, while generating a smaller "g" force, than a car with a short nose, because of the longer time of "crumpling" zone.

Is that saved gas so important now? Food for thought...

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Those safety ratings are the biggest deception. Because they test the car against a fixed obstacle. So they test how well the car kinetic energy alone gets handled/absorbed.
In cases when the car hits another MOVING object, the impact energy is the sum of your car plus the other car energy. If the other car is heavier, it will have more energy.
Well... how that energy gets divided between the two cars? It gets divided based on conservation of impulse. Impulse = Mass x Speed.
The biggest mass gets a smaller speed delta while the smaller mass gets a bigger speed delta. So the small car absorbs more of the total impact energy. That can be many, many times more than the tested value that are pandered by those "safety" institutes.

If you can't follow the logic, think what happens when a car hits a dump truck. The heavy truck will be slowed down a bit probably, but the small car will be probably projected backwards. Acceleration for the occupants inside the small car will be orders of magnitude bigger of what the occupants of the big truck feel.

Also a car with longer crumple zone (long front hood) can absorb that energy, while generating a smaller "g" force, than a car with a short nose, because of the longer time of "crumpling" zone.

Is that saved gas so important now? Food for thought...

You're right, it can be deceptive. However it is a criteria that can be used to compare other vehicles tested under the exact same conditions.

Crashes over 35 mph with sudden stoppage are often unsurvivable due to internal organs compressing, so testing head-ons over that speed are of little use.

·
Registered
650 Posts
compare other vehicles tested under the exact same conditions
IMO those are not the same conditions, that's why is so deceptive. Those are only the crashes between your car and a fixed object (with speed zero). Like if you get drunk and hit a parked car. That's not at all the reality - most of the crashes are between moving cars. People compare the "stars" and assume that they will be "safe" no matter what.
Even if the get hit by a train, they have 5 stars, it's all good.

Bigger mass wins in the end, that's the law of nature. We can delay that with smart energy absorbents, but in the end bigger mass wins.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
IMO those are not the same conditions, that's why is so deceptive. Those are only the crashes between your car and a fixed object (with speed zero). Like if you get drunk and hit a parked car. That's not at all the reality - most of the crashes are between moving cars. People compare the "stars" and assume that they will be "safe" no matter what.
Even if the get hit by a train, they have 5 stars, it's all good.

Bigger mass wins in the end, that's the law of nature. We can delay that with smart energy absorbents, but in the end bigger mass wins.
For sure that's the deceptive part. While "Testing Conditions" are the same, in a controlled environment, there is no way they can cover the "uncontrolled" parameters of a car accident. Like you said, the laws of nature kick in & hell hath no fury like Mother Nature.

The more stars the better, especially in comparing "like for like" vehicles, but rest assured, those little stars will not protect you from something massive travelling at high speed. There, Mother Natures next door neighbor, Father Physics, comes out to play :)

Reactions: SoNic67 and Kerig3
1 - 20 of 25 Posts