Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like my 2013 Kia Soul, but the odometer area has print that is orange on a black background. It is almost impossible to see this. Strangely, the other parts of the instrument cluster are bright green. Why Kia did this amazes me.

Is there a way to have the deal replace the black background with a white background, so the horrible orange is more visible? Or, can they change a bulb behind that area with a green or white one, which would brighten it up?

BillS

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine is red print on a black background. Both the odometer area and the radio. I can barely see anything because of the red. Especially with all the sun glare here in Phoenix, which I think is adding to the problem. I really like my Kia but I do not like this feature at all. I would prefer green on black

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I like my 2013 Kia Soul, but the odometer area has print that is orange on a black background. It is almost impossible to see this. Strangely, the other parts of the instrument cluster are bright green. Why Kia did this amazes me.

Is there a way to have the deal replace the black background with a white background, so the horrible orange is more visible? Or, can they change a bulb behind that area with a green or white one, which would brighten it up?

BillS
I remember someone on here taking their instrument panel apart and changing the LEDs to different colors, which is what you would have to do. It's not a job for the faint of heart. I think you're going to have to live with it unless you want to spend quite a bit of money having someone else do it (assuming you're not up to tearing down your instrument panel and doing the work yourself).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep I agree .
I am a 70 year old engineer and can not distinguish the lettering on my mileage display. Did they just design this cars for youngsters?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
Yep I agree .
I am a 70 year old engineer and can not distinguish the lettering on my mileage display. Did they just design this cars for youngsters?
don't think so, I'm 69 and I can see it the vast majority of the time with no problem - but a more florescent red would be better ;) It's not critical info so not able to see it the odd time does not cause a problem.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have the same issues on my 2012 Soul with red LED numbers on black background. Another car we have has blue odomitor numbers and is so much easier to read.

Thx for reminding me about this. I got an email from KIA asking me to do a survey for their engineers. I want to be sure to mention this!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't even look at my speedo. I just go with the flow and look at my GPS for a more accurate reading.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have to remove my sunglasses to read the red output, which is sort of a pain at times, but not something that I would change cars over. I only really notice it when my passenger quizzes me about the outside temperature, which she seems to do about every thirty minutes during trips.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I recently learned that my biggest issue with readability is not the odometer itself but my sunglasses. I forget that I have polarized lenses, just like LCD displays. I get the best readability by tipping my head right about 15 degrees.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out where this green is in the instrument cluster. Everything that's illuminated in mine is white.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I have no problem seeing mine with two different pairs of polarized glasses. I wonder if it is the lenses in certain brands that effect it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I am thinking that it depends on which direction the polarization is set. Take off you glasses and look through them at the dash while rotating the glasses. You should see the display darken/lighten. Remember that this only is due to the polarization in the LCD display.

There are some aftermarket window tinting film that is polarized. It plays havoc with my sun glasses.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts