Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my 2013 Kia Soul + this morning. Right way, the tachometer started jumping between 1 and 2 and the engine malfunction light came on.
I drove it to work and noticed I could not accelerate fast or the engine would try to stall or not shift up to the next gear. The cruise control wouldn't engage either.

I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed the accelerator sensor malfunctioned.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh wow, that is nuts! I am glad you were able to get it to a dealer quickly and have it fixed but that is strange for a brand new car. I just got a 2013 Soul + as well! I hope you get your baby back soon and get back on the road safe!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
that's the first report I've come across for that specific problem and I read a lot of forums.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The more sensors, switches and gadgets they put on cars, (any brand) the more problems there will be.

I didn't have any problems with my last car, but the one before that had what appeared to be a transmission problem, that turned out to be a little switch on the "Outside" of the tranny. Since it was not 'Inside' the tranny, it was not covered under the power train warranty, and it cost me $145 to get it replaced.
That was a $5 switch....the labor charge was $140.

Had I only known what the problem was, I would have purchased the switch and put it on myself.

Such is life with automobiles!

TM :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
The dealer replaced the accelerator pedal sensor today. The error code the computer recorded was P2127. The dealer did state the accelerator pedal sensor controls the Cruise Control and if it goes out so does the Cruise Control. As for the Soul not accelerating, I was told the computer forced the car to go into limp mode as it could not tell if the pedal was pressed or not.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The more sensors, switches and gadgets they put on cars, (any brand) the more problems there will be.

I didn't have any problems with my last car, but the one before that had what appeared to be a transmission problem, that turned out to be a little switch on the "Outside" of the tranny. Since it was not 'Inside' the tranny, it was not covered under the power train warranty, and it cost me $145 to get it replaced.
That was a $5 switch....the labor charge was $140.

Had I only known what the problem was, I would have purchased the switch and put it on myself.

Such is life with automobiles!

TM :cool:
bah, I have had more throttle cables break than electromagnetic sensors and actuators go bad.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Kudos to you for having the nads to drive that thing to work! I would have been so scared that something would happen along the way!

And TechnoMage is right. In a way, I like that technology is controlling our modern cars. I feel as if my Soul can do everything automatically with all it's sensors and has all these safety features for EVERYTHING, but in a way I also find it kind of scary because technology can go wrong too.

New automobiles and the science of how they work is quite fascinating, to say the least.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
bah, I have had more throttle cables break than electromagnetic sensors and actuators go bad.
But you're an Animal! :laughonfloor Well, so I was told anyway. :)
And we all know that animals break things.

Cables only break when they are not kept lubricated and adjusted.
I found that out on my Schwinn Racer, many long years ago.

If you read, more than this one forum, you'll see that lots of guys report, switch and sensor failures.
It's the sign of the times.....so to speak. I'll take some Direct Linkage anytime, over Fly By Wire.

One of my jobs at CAT, was to set up tests for Switches and Sensors. I was surprised at how many 'expensive' parts failed under our tests.

:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts