Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks... new guy here. I have a 2013 Base model with 76K miles. I have had zero issues with this car until the day before Christmas. I started the car only to find the odometer/ miles to empty/ Gear indicator/ outside temp window totally dark. Pushing and holding trip reset has not changed this. Fuse diagram does not show a dedicated fuse for this portion of the instrument cluster. I am stumped.

Any ideas? Someone has to have seen this before....

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. Hope I can contribute what I can when I can. Have scrubbed the internet pretty thoroughly and haven't found a solution for my issue. This board seems to be the most active and I figure this is the best shot at finding some one who has had a similar trouble. It's been one of the best cars I have ever purchased.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
yes it appears to lumped in with "Tail LP RH" - 10A fuse. Only thing I can think of is to disconnect your battery for perhaps 10 minutes or so and then reconnect, sometimes it works.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
A phone call to your KIA dealer, might be prudent. Eh?

It may just relate to the poor grounding in the Soul. We've discussed that at GREAT length.

:cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I called the dealer service department today. Never have heard of such a problem. Heavy sigh. Disconnected the ground wire at the strut tower and polished the connection point with wire brush. Now I got bits and pieces of display- nothing legible.

After Goggling KIA Soul instrument cluster failure I am not getting a good feeling. Apparently somewhat common. Really heavy sigh. Over $500 for a new cluster? Then dealer says cluster has to be sent to California to have the odometer set correctly after they pull mine and send it with new panel.

Say it isn't so.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well I called the dealer service department today. Never have heard of such a problem. Heavy sigh. Disconnected the ground wire at the strut tower and polished the connection point with wire brush. Now I got bits and pieces of display- nothing legible.

After Goggling KIA Soul instrument cluster failure I am not getting a good feeling. Apparently somewhat common. Really heavy sigh. Over $500 for a new cluster? Then dealer says cluster has to be sent to California to have the odometer set correctly after they pull mine and send it with new panel.

Yes, same thing happen to my Soul, needed a new cluster but was replace under warranty and yes seem to be a common problem.

Good luck

Daniel

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The fact that the dash partly recovered when 1 contact cleaned would suggest it could be a voltage issue.
The dash usually works at a lowered voltage so if your voltage on battery is down the dash would be down also.
The voltage of the battery should be checked when car has stood for a few hours to test the base voltage not after running with alternator charge around. A simple multimeter / voltage tester should read 12.3 volts .
I believe some instrument panels are reduced to about 8 v to give a constant voltage but will be reduced if battery low.
Not necessary faulty battery just another dirty or loose contact .

Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was there a resolution to this problem? My 2013! is having the same issue, warranty expired and no way of checking mileage. For me not really a problem except when It comes time to sell.

Hopping it will just miraculously come back to life, if it’s a comment issue Kia should issue a recall.

Sucks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts