Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, in the past couple months I've been hearing a creaking noise that only occurs when I make a low speed left turn.

e.g. I'm approaching a U-turn in a left lane, I slow down to a stop, and begin turning the wheel counter clockwise. As I turn the wheel, I hear a creaking noise from what sounds like my front right tire.
Same occurs if I'm reversing out of my garage, rotating the wheel counter clockwise generates the same noise from the same area.

Think it's a CV joint? I crawled under my car and didn't see any damaged boots though

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
This is pretty far fetched, but take a look. Check tire wear evenness from left to right on the left tire. Then check to see what is on the right side. If the right side tire shows even wear, you have an alignment problem where the left tire is "dragging" instead of staying in track with the other wheels. Need to check front to back on the left side for the same indications. Good luck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Can you hear the noise turning the wheel while stationary? If so, that would eliminate the CV. An inner or outer tie rod would be suspect.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is pretty far fetched, but take a look. Check tire wear evenness from left to right on the left tire. Then check to see what is on the right side. If the right side tire shows even wear, you have an alignment problem where the left tire is "dragging" instead of staying in track with the other wheels. Need to check front to back on the left side for the same indications. Good luck.
I checked the wear, no noticeable difference. My tires get rotated regularly, and my last alignment was 15k mi ago (and I haven't been hitting curbs on the regular haha)

Also, an update: This creaking noise occurs regardless of direction I'm turning, it becomes most noticeable when the wheel is being turned nearly clockwise or counterclockwise. I feel like for each degree I turn there is a creak, all the way until the wheel is completely turned left/right.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I checked the wear, no noticeable difference. My tires get rotated regularly, and my last alignment was 15k mi ago (and I haven't been hitting curbs on the regular haha)

Also, an update: This creaking noise occurs regardless of direction I'm turning, it becomes most noticeable when the wheel is being turned nearly clockwise or counterclockwise. I feel like for each degree I turn there is a creak, all the way until the wheel is completely turned left/right.
Does it do it when sitting still? How about a little click when first turning wheel? Could be a steering star washer if so.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it do it when sitting still? How about a little click when first turning wheel? Could be a steering star washer if so.
Yeah, creaking occurs when sitting still. Definitely sounds like it's coming from near the front wheels/outside the car. There is sometimes a little click from the steering wheel itself when I jiggle the wheel back and forth.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: dealership says the front and rear sway bar end links are going out. Sucks that I'm just 4k mi over the bumper to bumper warranty!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: dealership says the front and rear sway bar end links are going out. Sucks that I'm just 4k mi over the bumper to bumper warranty!
That sucks. Maybe dealership can get you special treatment from Kia. Never know but might be worth a try.
Haha I doubt it, they quoted me $250 for parts and labor. Also had them check out an oil leak possibly related to the rear main seal, but that's a separate thread

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Money pit. :(
This is actually the first repair I've had to pay out of pocket for. Other than tires, oil, oil filters, air filters, a new battery, and gas, it's been a cheap car to maintain.

Throttle body and throttle positioning sensor were replaced at 32k mi under warranty
Rear main seal will be replaced sometime next week at 64k mi under warranty

·
Registered
243 Posts
The pivot at the top of the strut likely needs lubrication.

There's plastic bushings at the top of both front struts that allows the bottom of the strut to twist with the turning of the wheel without binding the springs. If it's creaking while stationary, then that's the most likely culprit.

Sway bar is almost impossible to be the issue because it doesn't move much at all when you turn the steering wheel while stationary, and assuming you're on a flat surface is unloaded with no forces acting on it.

EDIT: Also, there is no rear sway bar on a Soul. And from what I understand (and have experienced) when the rear axle bushings start to go bad you get clunking not creaking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts