Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine you are coasting to a stop sign or intersection, not pressing the gas/brake pedal, but you feel the brakes engage to slow the vehicle down. Is this a feature? I tried explaining it to one of my friends who also owns same model/year Soul and he didn't know what I was talking about.

Roads aren't bad either, so I don't think it was ABS engaging.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
if its an automatic then its the transmission doing this (this is normal), nothing to do with the brakes. This is not a hybrid vehicle or pure electric, so brakes do not operate unless you activate the brakes. Also ABS does not function unless you apply the brake pedal.

Please fill out your Drive profile with details of your 2012 Soul, so it makes it easier for us to comment when we can see these details.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if its an automatic then its the transmission doing this (this is normal), nothing to do with the brakes. This is not a hybrid vehicle or pure electric, so brakes do not operate unless you activate the brakes. Also ABS does not function unless you apply the brake pedal.

Please fill out your Drive profile with details of your 2012 Soul, so it makes it easier for us to comment when we can see these details.
Okay, guess I have to get used to it. Makes slowing down at stop signs cause a jerking motion. Bizarre

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,618 Posts
Okay, guess I have to get used to it. Makes slowing down at stop signs cause a jerking motion. Bizarre
It IS bizarre. I never understood why the makers decided to do this. It seems to me that letting your car coast further would squeeze more mileage than automatically downshifting. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Any rational explanation would be appreciated. But I don't think one exists.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
It IS bizarre. I never understood why the makers decided to do this. It seems to me that letting your car coast further would squeeze more mileage than automatically downshifting. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Any rational explanation would be appreciated. But I don't think one exists.
makes perfect sense to me, when you drive a manual and slow down you shift to lower gears, so the auto is only doing the same thing, the slower you are "coasting down" the more noticeable it will be in the shifts. Also at one time the auto was only 3 gears (manuals were 3 and 4 gears) so the shift were not as noticeable (if at all in the same situation), now there is 6 gears in your vehicle it is going to be more pronounced.
If you went up to an intersection rear fast and hit the brakes you more than likely won't feel the shifts the same.

Pure coasting (sticking it in neutral) does not save any fuel and is dangerous. I have the instant read out of fuel used on my Supervision cluster and if you are in a high gear and take your foot of the accelerator, (say like going down a hill) the gauge drops to no fuel being used (other than keeping the engine running).

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Thanks. Thought I was going crazy, because no one else knew what I was talking about.
Nah... you're OK. I think.... because you've still not answered the question, "does your car have an Automatic Transmission".
Please add that info to your "Drives" so no-one will have to ever ask you that question again.

In a Soul with an AT, your cars computer will downshift the AT so it will be in the correct gear, for the speed you're going, in case you decide to accelerate to a higher speed.

In my 2013, the 6 speed AT does that so smoothly that it's hardly even noticeable. But on older cars with fewer speeds in the AT, it can be more noticeable.
On the really OLD cars (all a matter of perspective) with only 3 or 4 speeds, it can really jerk you around. But in any case, the car is NOT putting on the brakes, it's just the AT doing an automatic Down-Shift. That's normal and expected operation.

Cheers Mate, Happy Motoring!
:cool:

·
Registered
458 Posts
http://www.kiasoulforums.com/10-soul-problems/104978-down-shift-hard-2011-soul.html

Same thing, very common on 2013 and earlier. It's aggressive downshifting by the transmission, and it's very annoying. I'm gonna drive it in the manu-matic mode, and see if there's a difference. If not, I'll head to the dealer and see if there are any software updates for the car.

The 6 speed is quite clunky.. I've driven four speed Toyota's that shifted smoother up and down. Maybe we can all get our second gear replaced under warranty!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
http://www.kiasoulforums.com/10-soul-problems/104978-down-shift-hard-2011-soul.html

Same thing, very common on 2013 and earlier. It's aggressive downshifting by the transmission, and it's very annoying. I'm gonna drive it in the manu-matic mode, and see if there's a difference. If not, I'll head to the dealer and see if there are any software updates for the car.

The 6 speed is quite clunky.. I've driven four speed Toyota's that shifted smoother up and down. Maybe we can all get our second gear replaced under warranty!
Sir, you definitely have a PROBLEM! As I've said hundreds of times (at least) my Six Speed AT is as smooth as silk.
For over 50 years, I've been driving cars with three speed AT's, four speed AT's, and finally a Six Speed AT, and my little Soul's AT is the smoothest I've ever owned or driven.

Good Luck sir,
:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts