Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my new 2012 Soul base model 3 days ago. And I LOVE it!!

Got it home and was poking around, like everyone with a new car does. Discovered that there was no spare, and no jack. It was late and the dealership was closed, figured I'd call them in the morning about it. Took the owner's manual inside to read up on the radio operation and so on.

Long story short, according to what I read the car isn't supposed to have a spare. Instead it has a 12V air compressor and a container of sealing compound. I suppose this is all well and good if it's just a normal puncture, but it won't help much in the event of a blowout or sidewall puncture.

I was at the dealer the next day to pick up an iPod cable and a paint touch up pen and I mentioned this to my salesman. He didn't know about this either. Mine is the first 2012 Soul they have had delivered, and they haven't had their 2012 Soul sales training yet.

So if you are considering a 2012 base model, just be aware of this.

I think I'll probably try to find a spare and jack at a salvage yard. The compressor and sealant will probably be sufficient most of the time, but not if it's a blowout at 2am somewhere in the boonies where there is no cellular service and I can't call roadside assistance from Kia or AAA. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,089 Posts
Hummm not a good idea on Kia's part, the sealant is not good especially if you have a TPMS. :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hummm not a good idea on Kia's part, the sealant is not good especially if you have a TPMS. :confused:
Those were my thoughts, but I am assuming that Kia took the TPMS into account when they selected the formula for the sealant.

My main concern is a failure that can't be handled by sealant. What can I say....I'm old-fashioned. :D My last ride (Mitsubishi Montero Sport) had a FULL-SIZE spare. (On a matching alloy wheel no less.....)

·
Registered
330 Posts
All fine and dandy unless you have a failure at freeway speeds. Even if you can pull over ASAP, no amount of sealer and air is gonna fix the tire.

The only thing a pump and sealer is good for is fixing a slow leak you discover while parked.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,089 Posts
Those were my thoughts, but I am assuming that Kia took the TPMS into account when they selected the formula for the sealant.

My main concern is a failure that can't be handled by sealant. What can I say....I'm old-fashioned. :D My last ride (Mitsubishi Montero Sport) had a FULL-SIZE spare. (On a matching alloy wheel no less.....)
That would be a great question for your dealer, have them explain this issue to you. :)

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Kia has free 24hr roadside assisantance for 5yrs. Maybe they think that replaces the need to have a spare.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
tire mobility kit was mentioned in the press info release on Kia media (US)
Kia Media, but it didn't state clearly whether this applies to the base model or all of them.

Don't have any info regarding the spare on Canadian models.

·
Registered
925 Posts
All the new Porsche's have the inflator and sealer too. And they are running rubber bands. Would be an ugly high speed blowout

·
Registered
728 Posts
Kia has free 24hr roadside assisantance for 5yrs. Maybe they think that replaces the need to have a spare.
You're probably right, but what can roadside assistance really do if you have an unrepairable flat? Tow your car and drive you home? Sorry, I don't need a "trip interruption" on my way to work. Several times I've had flats on the way to work, stopped and changed them and went about my day until I could get the tire repaired or replaced. Without a spare, you're out of action waiting for a repair or replacement. Heaven forbid it happens after hours. Not to mention that with the way roadside assistance works (i.e. they hire the lowest bidder), you could be waiting for hours for help.

To the OP, does the car have a "well" where a donut would fit? If so, would definitely be worth the money to buy a spare and a scissor jack.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
its a difficult one. Do you drag the weight of a spare wheel and jack around and lose the boot space involved and the extra fuel used just on the off chance you will have a puncture?...... they reckon punctures are becoming less and less frequent.... i think i read the average is now one every 90,000 miles.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
its a difficult one. Do you drag the weight of a spare wheel and jack around and lose the boot space involved and the extra fuel used just on the off chance you will have a puncture?...... they reckon punctures are becoming less and less frequent.... i think i read the average is now one every 90,000 miles.
good point - but does that logic extend to other seldom needed items - like air-bags and seat belts and traction control and on and on ....?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're probably right, but what can roadside assistance really do if you have an unrepairable flat? Tow your car and drive you home? Sorry, I don't need a "trip interruption" on my way to work. Several times I've had flats on the way to work, stopped and changed them and went about my day until I could get the tire repaired or replaced. Without a spare, you're out of action waiting for a repair or replacement. Heaven forbid it happens after hours. Not to mention that with the way roadside assistance works (i.e. they hire the lowest bidder), you could be waiting for hours for help.

To the OP, does the car have a "well" where a donut would fit? If so, would definitely be worth the money to buy a spare and a scissor jack.
Yes, there is a well for a spare. I've had good experiences with roadside assistance (AAA member since 1984) but that won't help if I'm stuck with an un-repairable flat on a lonely stretch of highway, out in the boonies, where there is no cellular service. That's my main concern.

I'm going to my favorite salvage yard today to pick up a part for another vehicle. I'm going to see if they have a spare for my Soul. Perhaps I'll get lucky and they'll have the jack too. :)

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I need to play the lotto then. I have had 3 "punctures" in the first year of ownership. One needing a tire replaced as the screw was in the sidewall.

So far 2 screws and one razor blade.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yeah, punctures happen all the time around here. A lot of construction and not to mention roofing going on after our spring full of hail storms.

·
Registered
509 Posts
good point - but does that logic extend to other seldom needed items - like air-bags and seat belts and traction control and on and on ....?
I'm thinking that the weight of airbags, seat belts, and traction control combined don't come close to what a steel wheel and middling-quality tire will weigh. Fair point, though.

Not to jinx myself, but I can't remember the last time I had a tire problem which required roadside assistance. I've had a few picked-up nails and the like over the past few years, but the leak has always been slow enough that I could either fill with air and get to service or limp to the next service station. You're playing the odds.

OP, one thing I would check is if the body points on which you would use a jack have not changed between 2010-11 and 2012. I'm guessing that, without a jack, there's nothing in the owner's manual about where to put one on the body.

·
Registered
518 Posts
OPTIONS: Note that you can use a spare from any 5-lug 15" or larger Mazda Protege, 3,5,6,or 8, or a Hyundai or Mitsubishi 15" or larger 5-bolt... which all should fit the Soul's HUB (5/114.3, 67mm centerbore), but you'll have to be sure they fit the Soul's spare tire well!

And... an average of a puncture every 90,000 miles doesn't mean that the puncture happens AFTER 90,000 miles! :-D

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
The reason for removing the spare, and many car makers are doing this, is weight. Decrease weight, and increase MPG. Even a very slight increase in MPG is a big win.

The 2011 Elantra, for example, has no spare. And yes, they use their 5 year roadside assistance as justification for not having one.

I like having a spare. My Nissan Z car had a full size but uninflated spare with a can of air to inflate the tire. Much better than the cheesy donut spare.

The odds may be that you won't need the spare, but that doesn't mean anything when you find yourself in Rinkidink, Utah with no cell reception and a flat tire. Try driving I-80 through Wyoming where it's 100 miles between exits and no cell phone service and you get a flat. Been there, done that. Got a ride from an 18 wheeler to the next exit (80 miles away), called AAA from a hotel lobby, they came from 120 miles away to pick me up, drive me 80 miles back to my car, got me back on the road....5 hours later. Where was my spare, you ask? Well, it was my Ford Explorer and someone had stolen it and I didn't know. It was stored underneath the car and with the tool to lower it could be easily stolen.

Basically...give me a spare tire. I don't care about your roadside assistance, especially given the response time. My brother has a Hyundai Azera, and their roadside people took 3 hours to get to the scene. Trust me...you're better off still getting a AAA membership. It'll still be an hour and a half (their best response time even locally for me), but it's still better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had lots of cars and lots of flats, even on modern tires. Most could be solved with "fix-a-flat" and a compressor...but not all! I had so many punctures one year that I bought a full size, salvage yard spare for my Pontiac Gran Prix, in addition to the compact spare. Didn't leave much room in the trunk :(

I'll happily give up a fraction of a mile per gallon (heck, make it a whole MPG!) to have the safety net of a spare - even a "dinky donut" is better than nothing!

I just emailed my Kia dealer to ask if this new "feature" applies to the Base model only, or all 2012s.

Final thought - maybe it's more about cost savings than weight savings? Gotta be tough to keep the base price to $13,900!

·
Registered
115 Posts
tire mobility kit was mentioned in the press info release on Kia media (US)
Kia Media, but it didn't state clearly whether this applies to the base model or all of them.

Don't have any info regarding the spare on Canadian models.
I asked my local Kia dealer (in the US) and he responded, "To answer your question standard tire mobility kit replaces compact tire on all models"

Someone responded that there IS space for a spare - anyone know if fits only a donut? a 16" wheel? 18"? (yes, I know the overall diameter is about the same, but the WIDTH is significantly different)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I hope the sales people are advising the customer of this before the sale. I'd be wanting to put a serious whoopin' on someone if I was out in the middle of BFE with a shredded tire and had no way to take care of it.

If enough people raise a stink and they lose some sales over it, I'll bet we see the spares come back around mid-year.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts