Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok - i figured the forum would be the best place to ask this... bc the Rocket Scientists at a handful of dealers seem dumbfounded, maybe just DUMB.

I have a 2012 soul base my wife bought... it has 62K on the odo and I want to do a lil tuneup... the dealer wants close to 4billion dollars to do a simple spark plug swap.

Being I have built full race motors in the past I'm not uusally one to shy away from such a simple DIY item such as spark plugs lol.

here is my problem... When I goto auto parts stores, they keep trying to give me iridium plugs, from my understanding these are 2.0 plugs and my 1.6 comes with crap Chapmion rer8mc copper plugs.

The dealer says I am not scheduled to get plugs till 100K bc I have these iridium plugs... so here is my confusion.

Why do some people say ALL SOULS use iridium plugs, some say 1.6 is the Champion rer8mc copper crap plugs ***which I personally would replace every other oil change lol

Some people are trying to tell me that the 1.6 came stock with these champion plugs... and that the dealer is since swapping them out for iriduims.

CAN ANYONE WEIGH IN... I have literally been working on this debate on and off since 50K and have definitely seen a performance decrease since.

Dealer looks up my vin and says 17-20$ per plug... Auto parts stores... blah, idiots.... and lastly online. 7$ for the rer8mc champions.

At this point I'm ready to pull one out and see what the deal is in there... CHOICE A OR B!

Thanks so much

·
Registered
442 Posts
My 1.6L, 2011 had those cheap champion ones the dealer uses. And they say they have to be changed every 30k. I recently did my 60k maintenance myself and used NGK copper spark plugs.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using the Autoguide App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 1.6L, 2011 had those cheap champion ones the dealer uses. And they say they have to be changed every 30k. I recently did my 60k maintenance myself and used NGK copper spark plugs.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using the Autoguide App

I used to use NGK Copper in all of my cars and just keep packages of them in the trunk :) Awesome Reliable spark!

I wonder if they changed to the iridium in 2012 or if they are just trying to rip people off by putting 20$ plugs in each hole

I just called Champion and they agreed that the rer8mc champions are listed as the proper plug in their DB...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to look what mine is, I think my wife has GDI, but I will look now.

I am betting it does make a difference... but anyone who REALLY knows will be on this forum, the ones that work for kia are sworn to some secrecy U guess...

·
Super Moderator
9,393 Posts
I have to look what mine is, I think my wife has GDI, but I will look now.

I am betting it does make a difference... but anyone who REALLY knows will be on this forum, the ones that work for kia are sworn to some secrecy U guess...
I have a 2012 base auto, the manual calls for iridium coated spark plugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the manual calls for them, and the vin pulls them up. And the service calls for them... but ARE they in the car. Because people say the campions are in the 1.6

Did they maybe change them in 2012?

·
Super Moderator
9,393 Posts
Yes the manual calls for them, and the vin pulls them up. And the service calls for them... but ARE they in the car. Because people say the campions are in the 1.6

Did they maybe change them in 2012?
Sorry, snowing hard here right now, not going outside to check just yet. However, the 1.6 Gamma MPI, 122 HP was used in the 2010/11 and changed to the 1.6 Gamma GDI, 138 HP, in 2012 up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have noticed a definite lack in power lately and the car also just had the trans service done (the more expensive one the dealer offered)

They reccomended a Throttle Body Cleaning... I almost bit, then asked how much.. they explained it would cost me $200 to service.

I opted to do it myself; he explained that I could damage the sensors and that even if i didn't damage any sensors that I would need the dealer to do it because the sensors need to be "re-calibrated after cleaning the TB", as they expect it to be dirty... as he explained this I began my smile and nod routine and opted to discuss it at my next oil change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't blame you, setting a gap and swapping plugs is not worth the effort or cost.
They want $250 to do it... $89+/- for 4 plugs... i'd rather use **** plugs at $2 a piece and replace them with every oil change... have perfect plugs all the time. Or hope that they are right about these plugs lasting..

·
Super Moderator
9,393 Posts
They want $250 to do it... $89+/- for 4 plugs... i'd rather use **** plugs at $2 a piece and replace them with every oil change... have perfect plugs all the time. Or hope that they are right about these plugs lasting..
The expert on maintenance of this engine is Technomage, he does most all of it himself. I am not sure how much he has done, but if you PM him, I am sure he will give you his opinion. :)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have NO experience with spark plugs on a Kia Soul, and if I did it would be on the 2013 1.6L and not on any previous model.

But going back a few years, I did research the OEM plugs for my 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara and found them to be Over $20 each, for six plugs. That was at about 90+K miles. So I did some more research and wound up buying compatible plugs at Walmart for less than $4 each. When I pulled the OEM plugs, I saw that they were different than any plug I'd ever seen before.

The positive electrode was not flat, like I was used to. It was pointed and not eroded at all, even at over 90k miles.
I could have just dusted them off and put them back in, but since I had six new plugs sitting there, I went ahead and did the change. I think now, that those OEM plugs were of the Iridium variety.

Since the Grand Vitara days, I've had two more Suzuki's with 4 cylinder engines and with a collective 100,000 miles, I've never pulled a spark plug again.

So for a drop in performance, at anything over 50 to 60k miles, I'd look elsewhere, like to the O2 Sensors. I know that they pass the max efficiency range at about 60k miles. (do to contamination from impurities in the gasoline)

If in doubt about a plug, then take one out and look at it. It ain't all that hard.
I was thinking about putting the E3 plugs in my car, but was talked out of doing that, by someone who knows more about those things than I do.

For most of our cars, there is more than one choice for compatible spark plugs. Check with parts suppliers, like Advance Auto Parts, or Auto Zone. (maybe even Pep Boys or NAPA Auto Parts)

At 22k miles, spark plugs are not even on my own Watch List, yet. Because, OEM plugs are supposed to be good for at least 100k miles. Nothing like the $.99 plugs we used to put in our old V8's. I'll probably trade off my car before she ever needs new plugs. ( I hope! I managed to do that with my last two cars. )

Cheers mates!
:cool:
PS: With just a minimum of research, at 'Rock Auto' I found that for the 2012 1.6L engine, they show the NGK 93815 Laser Iridium (OEM) plug. About $10 ea. That's about what I expected to find.
Most non-US auto makers today, do not use cheap plugs. The NGK is a standard OEM plug.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
New Info:

I just talked with my parts guy at Kia.
There is conflicting info as to what plug goes into the 1.6L engine, 2010 to 2013.
One place says that it's a Champion brand plug which should be changed every 30k miles.*

* Champion also makes an Iridium plug.

Another place says to only change the plugs at 105,000 miles. (Iridium)

My own Owners Manual says to change the spark plugs at 105k miles.
That would almost HAVE to be an Iridium Plug, regardless of who made it.
Under Severe Conditions, they may need to be changed more often.
But nowhere does it say what plug to use.

If you pull a plug to take a look-see, and the center electrode is pointed, that's an iridium plug.
Please let us know. Eh?
A picture, Please!

Happy Motoring!
TM :cool:

PS: Hopefully, if someone does pull a plug to take a look at it, they will see something like this.

I got this picture from a listing for the 2013 Soul, 1.6L, at Advance Auto Parts stores catalog.
This would typically be a 100,000 mile plug.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hear as well that their is much debate on if its the Champion Copper Plugs or the NGK Iridiums...
Different dealers listing different things... trying to get to the bottom of it pre-teardown, seems like I am going to have to look myself and report back...

One would mean that I have ~35K left to replace them... one means I'm ~35K overdue ;)
Hence my discussion...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
4 Participants
nixem
Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners
We’re the ultimate Kia Soul community dedicated to Soul owners and fans!
Full Forum Listing