Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello again,
Where can one find the specs on the transmissions? We really want a manual and are just crazy about it being a 6 speed for 2012 but I understand the auto is also a 6 speed. I have been going back and forth about the additional equipment you get with an auto (on the base model, blue tooth, cruise, keyless, and all that) and had not considered the actual differences in the transmissions. Are the final ratios the same? What are the performance specs? Service recommendations? Will one be turning less RPM's on the highway? If there is a difference, over the life of the car, it could save us a ton of money in fuel thus off setting the cost of the additional toys. If it doesn't make a difference then I think I am better off buying the manual base and adding the goodies myself. Anyone know??

Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
564 Posts
I found the manual has a gear ratio of 4.33. Auto with 15' and 16 wheels is 3.3 and 3.5 with 18's. Also the manual trans with the 1.6 is 75#'s lighter! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks Cobra259. Is that the axle ratio or the transmissions highest gear ratio?

I think (THINK) generally manual 5 speed transmissions have roughly a 1:1- 4th gear ratio and 5th is some sort of overdrive.

I know some 6 speeds where 5th is the 1:1 and 6th is the overdrive and some the 4th is still the 1:1 and both 5th and 6th are overdrive ratios.

I really just want to know what the RPMs the auto and the manual are turning at 70 MPH. Who really cares about all that techno babble.

And good point, I didn't even consider weight. Weight is pretty close to to the top of the list of most important items for good fuel consumption.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
564 Posts
Axle ratio

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,142 Posts
Hello again,
Where can one find the specs on the transmissions? We really want a manual and are just crazy about it being a 6 speed for 2012 but I understand the auto is also a 6 speed. I have been going back and forth about the additional equipment you get with an auto (on the base model, blue tooth, cruise, keyless, and all that) and had not considered the actual differences in the transmissions. Are the final ratios the same? What are the performance specs? Service recommendations? Will one be turning less RPM's on the highway? If there is a difference, over the life of the car, it could save us a ton of money in fuel thus off setting the cost of the additional toys. If it doesn't make a difference then I think I am better off buying the manual base and adding the goodies myself. Anyone know??

Thanks,
Chad
as well as Cobra259's reply here is a chart I did a little while ago on the gear ratios that may help you further.
As you have not filled out your location I don't know whether you are in the US or Canada. Maintenance and all the specs are readily available for anyone on KGIS. You can also download owners manuals, warranty details from this site. If in Canada you download owners manuals from the Kia Canada website.
There is very little difference in fuel mileage of a manual or the auto in the 2012 model, I can't see it amounting to much over the life of the vehicle, just depends on your preference, what features you want and how much you want to spend.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, great info. I am in the US. I just tried signing up for the Kia Global Information System (KGIS) site but was having problems with the pop up screen that has all the TOS agreements on it. I couldn't click "I agree" for some reason. Weird. But thanks for the info, it is exactly what I was looking for.

So problem solved, with almost no difference in RPM at hwy speeds there is no fuel saving incentive for me to get an auto just to get the few bells and whistles that I really wouldn't put to good use anyway. Man, I think I am really over thinking this whole new car/options thing!!! Thanks!

Chad

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,142 Posts
Awesome, great info. I am in the US. I just tried signing up for the Kia Global Information System (KGIS) site but was having problems with the pop up screen that has all the TOS agreements on it. I couldn't click "I agree" for some reason. Weird.

Chad
make sure you are using IE, works fine been using it for four-half years - great site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes, I'd strongly recommend the manual. The transmission is geared surprisingly low, even in 6th gear. It has a rubbery feel, with a long shift throw compared to other manuals I've owned from Audi and Honda, but if you like manual transmissions (and the crazy value: nearly $2,000 less than auto), you should get it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What about the diesel Soul's ?

Are they significant diference between the 2010 5th gearbox and the 2013 6th speed gearbox ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts