Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I just bought a mechanics special 2012 Kia Soul. I just wanted to post some of the things that I’ve noticed are wrong with the car.
door locks- the hatch will not open unless the front passenger side door and the rear drivers side door are unlocked. The button on the door locks but won’t unlock unless you do it manually. The key on the drivers side door is very tight you have to jingle it and thrust it just right for her to unlock. The fob doesn’t work and it’s a brand new battery.

heat not working - my heat isn’t working I’ve pulled apart the glovebox and taken apart the knobs. Tested the wiring into the knob and discovered it was burnt. Changed the fuse got power to the knob but still no heat.

I suspect the wiring is messed up throughout the whole car but really apparent in the door locks and heat. The heat problem I think is the fan motor and that’s not something I know how to do. Has anyone done this before? is it a simple fix that I can order the part and do it myself or should I take it to Kia and get them to diagnose it and repair it for me?

·
Registered
993 Posts
First you want to give us the details on your car so we can look at the correct schematics, like 1.6 or 2.0, automatic HVAC or manual (I can see a knob so guessing manual). Describe your locking/unlocking problem accurately like does it lock from either driver or passenger button but does not unlock from both?? When you say no heat, does that mean you have air conditioning but no heat or no blower motor at all?
I will take some guesses here see if this will help.
If your locks lock from both the driver and passenger button but do not unlock from either one the problem is likely in the SJB (smart junction box which is the fuse box, the relay for unlock is internal and unless you can desolder a circuit board it will take a new fuse box) You should always check the switch first, if you pop the switch out you will see it is the brown and green wires that send the message to the Body Control Module to activate the relay in the SJB. If the doors lock your wiring is good to the actuators as it uses the same wires to lock and unlock it just reverses the polarity so the one that is power becomes ground to open and the one that is ground becomes power. If the switches check out let me know and I can tell you which pins to jump and ground in the SJB to test the rest.
If your heater controls have power but still don't have power check the blower relay in the underhood engine fuse box. It should be blue right next the fuel pump relay. You can swap it with one of the other identical relays to test it. You can always just check power and ground right at the blower and if missing the ground move on to check the blower resistor but usually it would work on high speed only if the resistor is bad.
For the hatch, that's normal. The doors have to be unlocked for the hatch to open. There is a sensor on each door lock actuator and the passenger doors have to be unlocked to activate the hatch open relay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts