Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been discussed briefly here but after much googling and scouring the internet, I have yet to find any real solutions. I probably should have done this research BEFORE buying the 2012 Soul.

Is there any info on dash kits for the 2012 soul that would allow for a DVD player/GPS unit to be installed? Not finding much on my own.

Thanks

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
didn't think a DVD player would be allowed in a dash, back seat okay, but front?????

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The only thing that I've found is probable what you've already found. A dash kit for a 7" GPS. Some 7" GPS units have an AV input though, maybe you could go that route.

And yes, I'm pretty sure the local authorities would frown upon watching movies while driving, but hey, I'm not a law man and I do it all the time. I don't watch the screen, I listen to the story and perceive movement which helps keep me awake on long road trips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I havnt found any either (although havnt looked very hard) BUT anything can be done with a little ingenuity and will power. I installed an aftermarket head unit on my 98 f150 that was too big for the slot, but a little use of the air grinder and careful wire placement and I got it to fit and look great. However, a $100 handheld GPS unit is much more cost effective and much more usable. Or a smartphone.

As far as the DVD system goes. You could always modify a small screen and DVD player. BUT you will have to do some simple wire modifications in order to use the unit while the car is in motion. The directions on any aftermark gps/dvd headunit will tell you to hook a wire up to a certain wire (usually a wire that has to do with the parking brake) and that will not allow you to use the video function unless the parking brake is engaged. However, if you simply attach that wire to a ground wire or pretty much any other wire, you will be able to use it in motion

·
Registered
925 Posts
Last time I checked there wasn't a dash kit yet for the 2012 to mount a double din nav DVD player yet. I have one in my 2010 and yes it plays movies

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dash kit for the 2012 is a bit more of a pain to make/buy because the hazard/eco switches and air bag indicator are on the same component as the factory stereo. Plus all the screws are lower down, which means just chopping it in half wouldn't work without some separate attachment too. Might be easier to just mount a smaller tablet or something in front of it and use the auxiliary in and steering wheel volume controls.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,
Have you had any luck finding a dash kit for a dvd player because I too have been looking for kits to make sure it's possible to upgrade it before I buy the car but I haven't found anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts