Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP PLEASE!!! 2012 kia soul randomly will not start, sometimes it starts fine - other times everything comes on and I can hear the relay click but engine doesn't turn over, I have replaced clutch switch, ignition switch, starter, battery has been tested and is good, sanded grounds, even tried running a jumper wire from the starter relay straight to the starter and NOTHING has cured my problem..... I'm at a total loss, can't figure it out. On an odd note - the car hasn't started in nearly 2 weeks by the ignition switch, only push starting it - I was in it today trying to start it and after trying for about 5 to 10 minutes I heard a faint computer like sound that almost sounded like a video game from the 80's - the sound was faint and only lasted a couple of seconds, right after that the car started right up and started another 10 or 12 times without hesitation... am I losing my mind or is there some kind of hidden security issue going on here???? Please please help!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
It may be the crankshaft sensor which is used to set the engine timing.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
785 Posts
Interesting, someone else just posted about a similar problem 3 days ago. This thread below also has a link to another, older thread with a video.
Take a look:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +
3 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2013. It ended up being the neutral safety switch. Had it replaced and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HELP PLEASE!!! 2012 kia soul randomly will not start, sometimes it starts fine - other times everything comes on and I can hear the relay click but engine doesn't turn over, I have replaced clutch switch, ignition switch, starter, battery has been tested and is good, sanded grounds, even tried running a jumper wire from the starter relay straight to the starter and NOTHING has cured my problem..... I'm at a total loss, can't figure it out. On an odd note - the car hasn't started in nearly 2 weeks by the ignition switch, only push starting it - I was in it today trying to start it and after trying for about 5 to 10 minutes I heard a faint computer like sound that almost sounded like a video game from the 80's - the sound was faint and only lasted a couple of seconds, right after that the car started right up and started another 10 or 12 times without hesitation... am I losing my mind or is there some kind of hidden security issue going on here???? Please please help!!!
I had a much more serious issue with my 2012 (randomly trouble starting and not getting enough rpms to even drive). Totally dangerous. After 10 days of renting a car because my dealer doesn’t do loaners, I ( that would be me not the service dept) found online it was very possibly the crankshaft sensor. Indeed it was!!! So, perhaps as it seems by other comments, they were putting faulty ones in the Souls and probably should be a recall item. I’d start there as it was much cheaper to fix than my car rental ($700. Total $200 for repair the rest, rental). Almost didn’t buy another but service mgr changed so I bought a 2020!!

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
797 Posts
Welcome to the forums Ruby!
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2013. It ended up being the neutral safety switch. Had it replaced and haven't had a problem since.
I've got a 2010 that suddenly won't start on me. I think it may be the same switch since I can get it started if it's moving and I pop the clutch in 2nd. Any chance you could help shed some light on the location and process to change that switch? I'm looking online but not finding much in the way of info on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wait does it always start or tries to when you turn the key? I would say it's the starter but when you said starting fluid in the intake worked I got a bit confused. I have a 2010 and had to replace the stater recently. It would randomly not start. Sometimes turning the key off and on worked. After that hitting the starter worked for about 3 days (it's in a very odd location and hard to see) after that I had no choice to 192.168.100.1 jpg to pdf replace it. The work is easy just in a bad spot and makes it uncomfortable to swap out. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts