Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Details
2012 Kia Soul 1.6L 4 cylinder 5 speed automatic transmission Horsepower 138.0 @ 6300
68,750 miles

Problem
As usual, I go on a business trip and the family has a car issue. Apparently, the 2012 Soul started up fine but started running rough and threw a check engine light. It was quickly brought back home with less than 2 miles after the code was shown. I pulled my code tester and found it to be only a P0335 code. A quick check seemed to point to a simple fix by replacing the Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor (part number 39180-2B000 found here for $20 https://amzn.to/3ytqH8i and see the install video at the bottom of this post)

Changed this part in short order. Car started with no engine light. That's good, right? Shifted into D and proceeded for a short test drive. I found that the car was fine at 10 mph but as soon as I hit the gas, the car was unresponsive and began to misfire and almost stall out. Of course the engine light came back on. I fortunately was less than 0.5 miles from home so I got home and checked the codes. I now was seeing a P0336 code and the P035 code.

Question + asking for possible solutions/help/direction
I thought that the Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor would solve the problem. clearly I was wrong. I am unsure what to do next. Some quick thoughts after playing Google car tech:
(1) Reluctor Ring (I have no idea what this is)
(2) Timing Belt (seems unlikely at 68,750 miles)
(3) ??? Help please

HAs anyone seen this issue before? Any ideas and/or potential cost/time to do the job (or have it done) would be most appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Here's the install video:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I replaced the Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor with a genuine Kia Part as witnessed by the hologram sealed bag with Kia Hyundai genuine part. The new part had a new o-ring so I saw no reason to remove it. Wiped it with oil and installed it carefully not to over tighten the bolt.

UPDATE: I decided to clear the codes and see what happens. Starts fine. As one starts to drive, I get a huge hesitation at 20-25 mph and then notice the tachometer showing NO RPMs!!! Probably not a good sign. It did not throw another code but it did show a pending code of P0336. Will call the dealer and see if a mechanic can help to diagnose. Hoping to hear "It is XXX and we have seen this before. It will cost you $$$$". That is the part I do not want to hear. Then again, I inherited the car so I am still far ahead of the game with regards to cost.

Did you remove the O ring? Did you use a genuine Kia part?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The reluctor wheel issue is on the old style engines, not your 2012 at least I haven't seen it.
Look again like these guys suggested, make sure the old o-ring came out and the new sensor is fully seated. Don't trust a "kia" sensor from Amazon, half the time they are not the right part # for your car and I have seen ones that said Kia but were definitely not genuine but rather some fake repop. It's the same for spark plugs, they sell a bunch of fake NGK on Amazon these days along with other parts such as the "genuine" AC Delco strut I bought for my fiance's Camaro that is definitely not genuine and failed after just a year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reluctor wheel issue is on the old style engines, not your 2012 at least I haven't seen it.
Look again like these guys suggested, make sure the old o-ring came out and the new sensor is fully seated. Don't trust a "kia" sensor from Amazon, half the time they are not the right part # for your car and I have seen ones that said Kia but were definitely not genuine but rather some fake repop. It's the same for spark plugs, they sell a bunch of fake NGK on Amazon these days along with other parts such as the "genuine" AC Delco strut I bought for my fiance's Camaro that is definitely not genuine and failed after just a year.
Thanks for the head's up. Perhaps what I received was a fake. The bag was sealed and looked legit- see below
Food Packing materials Ingredient Rectangle Cuisine

·
Registered
51 Posts
I get suspicious when a part is listed as being 1/3 what the OEM part costs. Just too good to be true. You might want to start over again with a part from the dealer Or something certified as being OEM.
beyond that, I would next suspect one of the coils. Try moving all the coils (like one position to the left) and see if the code number changes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED THANK YOU ALL!

SO the assessment was correct. It was the Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor. The issue was clearly where the replacement part came from. The part via Amazon, even arriving in a sealed Kia part bag with a holographic sticker, was faulty. A quick trip to Napa Auto Parts (Part CSS1435) and $65 later, we are set. It was a good sign that the Napa person at the counter said "Yeah, these are pretty common so at least this will point you in the right direction if it doesn't solve the problem".

Scathing Amazon review to be posted!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED THANK YOU ALL!

SO the assessment was correct. It was the Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor. The issue was clearly where the replacement part came from. The part via Amazon, even arriving in a sealed Kia part bag with a holographic sticker, was faulty. A quick trip to Napa Auto Parts (Part CSS1435) and $65 later, we are set. It was a good sign that the Napa person at the counter said "Yeah, these are pretty common so at least this will point you in the right direction if it doesn't solve the problem".

Scathing Amazon review to be posted!
Glad you got it fixed. You should report that seller to Amazon and get your money back. eBay and Amazon have a lot of counterfeit auto parts and other things for that matter. There are a few legitimate Kia dealers that sell on eBay and that’s ok, but otherwise I would avoid them.

You can also use an online Kia dealer (Kia parts now is good) when you want OEM parts and they usually sell for less than your local dealer but you have to find one that’s near where you live because shipping can sometimes be outrageous.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you got it fixed. You should report that seller to Amazon and get your money back. eBay and Amazon have a lot of counterfeit auto parts and other things for that matter. There are a few legitimate Kia dealers that sell on eBay and that’s ok, but otherwise I would avoid them.

You can also use an online Kia dealer (Kia parts now is good) when you want OEM parts and they usually sell for less than your local dealer but you have to find one that’s near where you live because shipping can sometimes be outrageous.
It is on my list!! 100%

1 - 12 of 12 Posts