Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,I have just bought the new 2012 Soul exclaim.My question is do it come with daytime running lights??? If so mine dont work.I have asked the dealer about this and they are unable to give me an answer.I have read online that Daytime running lights are standard.Did the lights make it into production?Also,Dose the Dimmer switch control the gauge illumination?Mine only adjusts the brightness on the radio,ac and heater controls.Thanks for your time in this matter.
Tony~

·
Registered
73 Posts
On my 2012 +, the rheostat controls both the white instrument cluster lights and the red lights on the dash and door. If yours does not, it is defective. Sorry, I don't have DRL, so I can't address that issue. What do your owner's manual and window sticker say?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a 2012 Exclaim, and they do NOT have DRL's. If you want to activate those cool white LED's under the headlights, you need to turn on the parking lights. They are also on with lo-beams and hi-beams.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The dimmer part of your question confused me for a while as well.

If you have the auto- headlights, which the ! does, the dash lights are two stagers. That is to say that if the lights come on automatically because it's dark enough outside, it may be a few minutes later before the dash actually dims all the way down or the nav display switches to "night" since it is not quite dark enough for them to be dimmed.

If you turn your lights on manually, the dimmer will indeed dim all lights as expected.

And no, we do not have DRL.

Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've also got a '12 ! and was looking at the lights this morning actually. As previously stated, my running lights only come on if the parking lights or headlights are on. I love how the car looks with the running lights on, but since I always leave the headlights on the "auto" selection, I never touch it and don't want to be constantly turning it on and off every time I get in the car.

I wonder why Kia didn't make them automatic? Even in the commercials it shows the car driving with DRL's activated.

Does nobody make a wiring harness that would let you hard wire the running lights so that they are always on whenever the car is running?

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Wheres Conwelpic when you need him??????....... can the poster put his location in so we know what his car should have fitted.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Wheres Conwelpic when you need him??????....... can the poster put his location in so we know what his car should have fitted.
I was about to post the same thing. Anyway, they're required in Canada and in my opinion, should be everywhere. My '96 Silverado PU had them.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
So anyone in Canada, you DO have automatic DRL? Or do you just have to manually turn them on every time to avoid a ticket?

as they are the law and have been for over 20 years, they come on automatically when you start the vehicle, if you pull on the handbrake they go off. It uses the highbeam bulb at reduced power. There is also a greeen lights comes on the dash when you turn on your regular lights so you know they are not on in case you forget when the light gets reduced in the evening.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
The US version has the green dash indicators as well, one for headlamps and one for fog lights. I'll have to think about how I can wire up the LED's as always-on DRL's, because that would be awesome.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I passed a Alien 2012 Soul that had those cool-looking led daytime running lights on as i came home.

is there anyway to get those on the '11 Soul? I really love how they look...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have a 2010 2U with standard tranny. DRL's are standard in Canada. As for the U.S. I'm not sure. I think all Canadian models from around 1992 have had to have DRLs.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Daytime running lights are your high beam headlamps at a reduced voltage. It seems to me there was a previous threat a while ago where someone was selling the module required to have DRLs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone...new to the forum! Just took delivery of my new 2013 Soul ! Bright Silver yesterday 7/17/12 w/ Premium Package. I had the dealer install a sport spoiler and light kit (which took them forever to do since they didn't have a clue how to do it).

Unfortunately, I too am disappointed the beautiful LED daytime/positioning lights do not actually run automatically! What the heck? Why even have them on with the headlights only? Really doesn't make much sense to me but I'm hopeful someone might come up with a solution. I hate knowing that I have auto-headlights but if I want the LED on during the day I have to manually turn on the parking lights! A sad oversight.

Mike

·
Registered
456 Posts
I leave mine set to parking lights all the time. Since I dont drive much at night. When I start the car the LED's come on and im not constantly turning the lights on and off. Only time I need to switch is if im driving at night or raining.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not sure about this, but the Canadian models probably just have any extra relay that provides the DRL function. If you really want this function then maybe the Kia service folks could find out if there is indeed a DRL relay for Canadian models that could be bought and plugged in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts