Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all... Before posting this, I did some extensive scouring of the internet, and I couldn't seem to find an answer to my question, but I did manage to come across this forum, so I registered... Here goes nothing...

I have a BRAND FREAKING NEW 2011 Soul + with less than 1500 miles on it. I have owned the car less than a month...

The second Monday that I owned the car, I went out to go to work and the car wouldn't start... :mad: The cab lights, dash lights, exterior lamps, and the radio all worked fine with no visible dimness. I jump started the car and it fired up right away... I chalked it up to a dead battery (being in Arizona it's not beyond the realm of possibility, although we haven't had any real heat to speak of yet). I called the Kia dealership where I bought it and they told me to keep an eye on it (after I explained to them that I took the car to AutoZone and the battery tested good) and if it happened again to bring the car in.

The car started EVERY time until Wednesday of the following week. Same deal, went to go to work, no start. You can imagine my frustration and I once again jump started the car and took it to Kia right away. The told me that the battery tested good and that a "parasitic draw" test revealed new power drains in the system. Just to be on the safe side, they replaced the battery.

Once again, the car started fine for a few days and of course as I was running out the door to a doctor appointment the car wouldn't start. I called Kia and was hopping mad. They told me to call Kia Roadside Assistance and have the car towed (in it's no start state) to the dealership. When the tow truck driver went to start the car before he took it off his flatbed at the dealer, it started with no problems...

Kia has now had my car for two days and can't find any problem at all. I had a 2009 Spectra that I loved, but needed something with a little bit more room inside for passengers. At this point, I am ready to turn the car into a molten slag heap on the dealerships' front steps.

Has anyone else experienced anything remotely close to this? Please remember, the battery HAS been replaced, and everything tests "good" at this point...

~Hopeless in AZ...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Push the clutch in all the way.... I'm just kidding. Well actually, it could be a faulty switch under the clutch.

Unfortunately, you can't really do anything with intermittent problems until they get worse and become a problem that presents itself all the time. Did they find a parasitic draw?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Has anyone else experienced anything remotely close to this? Please remember, the battery HAS been replaced, and every tests "good" at this point...

~Hopeless in AZ...
do you have after market security system? i have seen and heard lot of issues with some aftermarket alarm systems causing "parasitic draw". you probably done this already but check again to make sure all the interior lights are turned off and all the doors are closed correctly etc. hope everything works out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@kfergiez - Forgot to mention... it's an automatic...

@sightland - Nope, nothing aftermarket at all... haven't had the car long enough to do anything to it...

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
I had this EXACT SAME issue on a Ford Explorer. It took forever to figure out what the problem was. Basically, it wouldn't start, they'd tow it in, and it would start every time they got it! So, one day they came to my house when it wouldn't start. Fortunately, it wouldn't start for them either. Finally, they saw the problem for themselves.

Turns out some wiring was grounding out, and it was a simple matter of fixing that. Whenever the car was transported, the wiring issue would go away because the wiring moved.

Had I simply shaken the car a bit when it wouldn't start, it would have started for me every time. It sounds like you have some kind of a wiring issue causing this. It's not a battery problem or a power drain or anything like that. It's something faulty in teh wiring.

Next time it won't start, try shaking the car, or moving it somehow and see if it starts after that.

best wishes and good luck.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
where do you have the auto gear lever to start it?....park or neutral?..... next time it does it - try waggling it.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
there is a contact in there to allow the starter to engage when selected.... it may isolate the issue..... just a thought

·
Registered
518 Posts
Check the battery cable end tightness opn the terminals, as well checking the bolts holding the grounding strap from the - side of the battery to the shock tower. Often the connection is good enough for the lights, but won't pass the amperage required for the starter. Putting on jumper cables squeezes the terminal end enough that you get full amperage through.

You can also do what I did, and run another grounding strap from the - terminal of the battery right to the lifting lug bolt on the block (takes a 36" strap, I believe, Wal-Mart, about $10, but I had one lying around). The only place the battery is grounded is the showk tower, and I recall on other old cars I've had that a better ground (grounding the block) helps ignition and other issues.

Check also:
- Seatbelt connections
- Look for a Clutch pedal switch or bnrake pedal switch (is the cluthch switch still there with an automatic, just bypassed?)
- Press brake firmly, wiggle pedal while starting
- Wiggle gearshift to be sure the sensor indicating "park" or "neutral" is allowing the start

Good luck! Once tracked down, you'll like the car, don't leave slag on the dealer's doorstep...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, the car has been with the shop foreman for 2 days now and they still can't reproduce the problem. The shop foreman & service manager have a call with an engineer from Kia and one of the guys who helped design the Soul this morning to decide what to do next...

In the meantime, they gave us a Spectra5 for a loaner car... it has taught me one thing... I MISS MY SOUL!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
it tested positive for parasitic load? Than that's probably your problem. Something is grounding or something that is supposed to be turning off is not turning off. You say all you have to do is jump it and it starts right up? Do you get a clicking noise and or a dimming of the lights and a slow crank when you try to start it and it doesn't? Lights take alot less load than a starter 5 amps or so vs 100 amps. Also does it tend to not work after not driving it for a while a few days or something like that?

I also noticed that if I turn my headlights on and then turn the car off and open the door it will turn all the headlights off, but if I turn the headlights on without running the car and open close the door and lock it, the parking lights will stay on. So if somehow you left your parking lights on randomly that would kill the battery. If it simply is not trying to crank at all, it could be what other posters said, a touchy neutral safety switch or car alarm ignition disable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, it tested negative for any parasitic draw... The lights don't dim at all, there is no clicking or anything. I just turn the key and nothing happens...

I'll update the thread after the dealership calls me this morning after their conference call with Kia...

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
Let us know. I may be wrong, but I'm 99% sure it'll be like the problem I had with the Explorer. Just as in my case, they can't duplicate the issue.

I don't think it's a switch or gear/car in park issue. If that were the case, you'd either not be able to turn the key or remove the key from the ignition. I tested my car to see what would happen if it's not in park, and the key would not come out. That's after having driven it. Not sure what would happen if it were not in park and I tried to start it. I believe the key wouldn't turn all the way.

As it's intermittent, and not a battery or battery drain issue, and the key slides in and out, I'm fairly certain it's a wiring issue. Sooner or later, they will find it.

In the meantime, enjoy putting miles on their car instead of yours! :)

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
Good point, Fernando. I had a problem like this in my Z car where the key at times wouldn't turn far enough to start the car. They had to file down a tumbler in the switch to fix it.

Hhhhmmmm........

·
Registered
280 Posts
My 2 cents are on the ignition switch as well. Or it could possibly be a dead spot on the starter armature.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
My 2 cents are on the ignition switch as well. Or it could possibly be a dead spot on the starter armature.
Perhaps - but with a faulty starter you should still hear the solenoid click.
Zero noise might suggest the solenoid itself but it would be unusual for the problem then to be intermittent.
I still suspect a dud switch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do the 2011 Souls have a "chip" in the key? Maybe try your other key? Just try to think of other possibilities.

But it does sound like an intermittent open ground somewhere.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts