Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone.
I purchased a 2011 soul + with a/t in june of 2017. Very well maintained by original owner. (56,399 miles) car worked ok, but i noticed a slight lag before upshifting. I thought this was a particualr characteristic of this trans. Up until this last week. While on one of l.a.'s finest freeways going slightly downhill around 65 mph, the soul suddenly & drastically downshifted into 2nd or 3rd gear without provocation. If i didn't have seatbelt on, i would have been thrown into windshield. After exiting immediately off freeway around 30mph, i noticed it wouldn't shift past 2nd gear. I inched it home going around 30mph on side streets.
My criteria and vehicles manufacture date met kia's policy on kia's tsb #033. Upgrade powertrain tcm (trans. Control module) simple. Service writer informed me previous owner had tcm upgraded 2 months after purchasing.
Car is at kia service for inspection and anaysis.
Warrany wise it is over the 60,000mi/60mo powertrain criteria. Below 60k miles, over months of service, 72 months.
Anyone else experience anyting similar to my situation?
My daufgter helped me finanaciall to buy this soul, so i can drive for lyft/uber to supplimont my social sucurity benefits.
I can't afford a new or rebuilt tranny on my limited budget.
Hopefuul one of you soul guru's has some posive information for me, or things to be aware of.

Thanks for ya'lls time & consideration!

Tommemac

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hello. And welcome to the forums.
From what my dealer mechanics have told me. This 4 spd transmission is quite picky on low fluid situations. But now that you said that it doesn't past 2nd gear.
Have you tested manually shifting into 3rd (or 4th?) and do the change?
First order should be checking the fluid. (I would recommend to drop the pan and change the trans filter and refill) Then, if the problems continue, the valve shift solenoids.
Maybe they can do both at the same time. Since you have to drop the pan anyways

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
Welcome, and good luck fixing the trans issue.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully your tranny issue is a simple fix.

Pat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts