Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Soul with a manual control a/c and heater.

Some time when I go to turn on the heat or air the blower motor doesn't come on, it makes no noises and most of the time I can get it to come on by hitting the passenger side of dash where the radio sets in its den.

The blower never makes any funny sounds and it can be on any speed when you hit the dash and it comes on and no funny sounds are heard and if it comes on like it should no funny sounds are heard. It will work at all speed settings.

The lights on the A/c control all stay light up so that is not the problem.

Is there a resistor located inside the dash near the radio?

What do you think the problem may be?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I take photos of vehicles at a few car dealers and have seen this problem several times in used cars. It's usually the dashboard heat/AC fan switch that needs repaired (may just have to remove switch panel and check connections on the back of the panel) or replaced. There are places like rockauto.com where you can order parts online if needed. Remember, most electrical problems can be traced to a bad connection or break in the circuit.

On the rockauto.com website, it lists a Blower Motor Control Module that is located behind the glovebox. If you're getting it to work by bumping on the glovebox, it's worth looking at. Cost $45. More likely, it's the dashboard switch (my guess).

Hope this helps.

I downloaded this shop manual for my 2013 Soul 1.6 (download has 2 books - one for the 1.6 and one for the 2.0, same year). Here is the 2010-2012 version of the same book:

https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/153178586-kia-soul-2010-2012-oem-service-repair-manual

Downloaded my copy (for 2013 model) a few weeks ago. Easy with Paypal. Only took about 5 minutes. Looks very complete - more info than I will ever need - over 1,300 pages just for the 1.6 - and another separate book for the 2.0. It should have everything you need. Downloads and saves as a PDF format, so you can print any pages you need and take them out to your garage - or load it on your laptop. Good troubleshooting guides too. Note that it mentions compatibility with all Windows operating systems up to Windows 7, but it does not mention Windows 8. I don't think it would be a problem though, as it is just a PDF file download.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Bad Blower Motor,
search other threads

Not switch & Not resistor ?

I could get mine to come on when it wouldn't by putting on AC, fan to High
speed up to 50 + mph
Crack window, the forced air kind-of push starts the motor ( oh yea, banging dash sometime works ! )

:)

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Bad Blower Motor,
search other threads

Not switch & Not resistor ?

I could get mine to come on when it wouldn't by putting on AC, fan to High
speed up to 50 + mph
Crack window, the forced air kind-of push starts the motor ( oh yea, banging dash sometime works ! )

:)

Hyundais suffered the same problem with the fan working only on high.
At 1st I thought it was the switch but some digging on the hyundai forums revealed it was a resistor located in the passengers footwell firewall.
Giving it a smack like fonzie and a coke machine usually indicates a bad connection (loose wire/plug) but could also be a sign of a failing component.
If giving it a smack is the simple solution after you have ruled out a lose wire, it may be easier (cough...cough...cheaper) to live with it.
I don't think blower motors are all that costly but getting access to it may be difficult?
Ebay: TYC Heater Blower Motor Replaces OE 97113 2K000 | eBay

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Every device on the Kia, gets it's power via a copper wire, but the Neg side of the device, be it a motor, light, or what, is grounded to the car body. Those Ground connections are the last thing that anyone looks at, but from years of experience, it would be the FIRST thing that I'd look at.
Especially when I've seen what a poor job of grounding Kia does. In street terms, "It sucks!".

One guy said that he replaced a heater blower motor and then tested the old motor, out on the bench, and it worked perfectly. Of course it did!, because he provided both positive and negative 12 volts to it. So I would take off the ground wire to the motor and clean the connection and put the neg wire back on thoroughly tightened. If that didn't fix the problem, nothing lost but a few minutes of time. No harm, no foul.

Experience trumps guesswork every time.

Cheers mates!
TechnoMage :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you bang on the dash near the radio where the switch is, I'd say it was a faulty switch or a loose electrical connector where it plugs into the switch. Also, as Techno stated, it wouldn't hurt to check the grounds. If you get the fan to come on and all the variable speeds are working, it isn't the resistors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Soul with a manual control a/c and heater.

Some time when I go to turn on the heat or air the blower motor doesn't come on, it makes no noises and most of the time I can get it to come on by hitting the passenger side of dash where the radio sets in its den.

The blower never makes any funny sounds and it can be on any speed when you hit the dash and it comes on and no funny sounds are heard and if it comes on like it should no funny sounds are heard. It will work at all speed settings.

The lights on the A/c control all stay light up so that is not the problem.

Is there a resistor located inside the dash near the radio?

What do you think the problem may be?

Thanks!!!
I have had the same problem with mine (2011 Exclaim) recently. I did find that the in-cabin blade type fuse for the a/c fan was scored some. Replaced it and it works again...praise God!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts