Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 soul plus, 57k miles I use as a taxi. I sometimes find in hot weather to idle the car for air conditioning which is obviously not good to do but circumstances call for it.

When I got the car in service the coolant was low so I had it drain and fill at a local repair place. Before they worked on it the color was green just as I expect. Afterward it look almost clear. Drove 2-3k miles after this...

Was sitting idle for one minute in park and notice thermostat went slight above middle usual mark.

Last night I sat idle and it went from middle to almost max until I crank heat on and drove to a safe haven.

My gut says it simply needs coolant?? In these cars if you let it sit for complete cool temp and open radiator cap....are you supposed to see coolant or nothing? Someone said its normal for there to be no sight of coolant when you open radiator cap????

·
Registered
458 Posts
A Soul cab in Austin? I'm surprised I haven't seen you around yet!

I know it's been hot in Texas, but there's no way you should be hitting that high of a temperature. Is there a leak in your radiator? You said the coolant was low and needed refilling, I'm wondering if you have a leak that needs fixing. Any fluid on the ground around where you have been parking?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
sounds like they just put water back in instead of coolant. Use an anti-freeze tester for the strength as it should be a mixture of antifreeze and distilled water (Ethylene glycol base coolant for aluminum radiator) as described in your manual. Mixture strength shown on page 7/18 - in your area it would be 35% antifreeze and 65% water.

Your overflow bottle shows you what level it should be at:
"the coolant level should be filled between F and L marks on the side of the coolant reservoir when the engine is cool. If the coolant level is low, add enough specified coolant to provide protection against freezing and corrosion. Bring the level to F, but do not overfill."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just told head gasket needs replaced after labor 1600.00 at dealership.

Does this make sense

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was just told head gasket needs replaced after labor 1600.00 at dealership.

Does this make sense
If your head gasket is blown it would explain the high temperatures you've been getting: HowStuffWorks "How to Tell If You Have a Blown Head Gasket"

Read up on the warranty info: http://www.kia.com/us/content/media/en/manuals/2011_warranty.pdf

Power Train Coverage
For Original Owners (defined below), the Power Train Limited Warranty begins upon expiration of the 60 month/60,000 mile Basic Limited Warranty Coverage, and will continue to cover the following components up to 120 months or 100,000 miles from the Date of First Service, whichever comes first. It does not cover normal wear and tear, maintenance, or those items excluded elsewhere in this manual. See “Exceptions” and “What is Not Covered.”

The items covered by the Power Train Limited Warranty include:
- In the Engine: Cylinder block, cylinder head and all internal parts, timing gear, seals and gaskets, valve cover, flywheel, oil pump, water pump.
I think you should be covered under the powertrain warranty if it is considered a personal vehicle. I'm not sure if you're with a licensed cab company or are doing a ride-share style program.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my case it is not covered because I have signage and its a real commercial vehicle

People think I'm nuts for using a soul. But I want to be different

One kia dealer locally said "it ain't gonna work" lol gonna prove them wrong

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
get a quote for an independent garage

·
Registered
47 Posts
Head gasket replacement in Northern Illinois $925.00 + tax BUT have someone do a coolant pressure test 1st & check for external leaks. If there are none found do a block test to check for hydrocarbons in the cooling system. That could indicate that there is a headgasket/head/block problem. Both of these tests take maybe 45 minutes to determine. Is the Check Engine Light on? If so if there is a miss in a certain cylinder that could mean that a little antifreeze is getting into the cylinder & causing a slight to heavy miss. Using the a/c on a constant basis shouldn't mean anything if all the engine functions are up to snuff. Causes wear on the components but that's only natural.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Commercial use is usually outlined as taxi, limo or police use. Having a sign on the side of the car like "Harry's Homemade Jelly" usually isn't but I have not read what Kia means by commercial

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Sounds like the garage put water in it, knowing that in Tx you probably won't see freezing conditions.

No coolant I've seen in the last 50 years has been 'clear'. It's usually green, but could also be Blue.
Depends on the brand you use.

Just pure water really doesn't cool very well and it also boils easier than a 50/50 coolant mix.

I'd drain the cooling system and refill it with something like Prestone 50/50 mix.
That's generally pretty easy to do.

Good Luck!
:cool:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sounds like the garage put water in it, knowing that in Tx you probably won't see freezing conditions.

No coolant I've seen in the last 50 years has been 'clear'. It's usually green, but could also be Blue.
Depends on the brand you use.

Just pure water really doesn't cool very well and it also boils easier than a 50/50 coolant mix.

I'd drain the cooling system and refill it with something like Prestone 50/50 mix.
That's generally pretty easy to do.

Good Luck!
Well, first he should get the head gasket replaced, then flush the radiator with some real coolant

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd get a second opinion ASAP. A coolant flush isn't too expensive to get done quickly. I've never seen clear coolant. Unless its alcohol but that would be crazy.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
A coolant flush is needed at 60k miles anyways for maintenance. I just got mine done although I really didn't need it. Paid $95 after 10% off coupon at pepboys.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Ooooooh! That's pricey!
If I were not going to do it myself (and I would) I'd have to shop around.

I would think that under sixty would be a reasonable price. Eh?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts