Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 2011 Kia Soul ! have the push button start? I really like the idea of not needing the key fob to open the doors. Looking to buy one with all options but this will be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you want push button, you will have to wait for the first special edition model which will probably come out in December - January. Otherwise you would need it aftermarket installed. The push button start is not available in any standard production 2011s. Only the special editions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bummer well I'm in no hurry, so if the SE comes out in titanium that will be my next vehicle, if not well I guess I'll have no soul.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dead fob with push button start = dead car

I recently got a 2011 Soul Sport with the push button start. One of my fobs just went dead (replaced batter so that's not the problem) and there's no other way to start the car! I'm not aware of any override start system for when this happens. The fob has a removable key but it's only good for unlocking the door since there aren't any other keyholes in the car. No ignition keyswithch or even a glovebox lock. Thank goodness my wife was with me with her fob when this happened or we would have been stranded!

Otherwise I really liked the push button start system - it is very convenient not to have to take anything out of your pocket. Hopefully my dealer will replace the fob without any issues.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I recently got a 2011 Soul Sport with the push button start. One of my fobs just went dead (replaced batter so that's not the problem) and there's no other way to start the car! I'm not aware of any override start system for when this happens. The fob has a removable key but it's only good for unlocking the door since there aren't any other keyholes in the car. No ignition keyswithch or even a glovebox lock. Thank goodness my wife was with me with her fob when this happened or we would have been stranded!

Otherwise I really liked the push button start system - it is very convenient not to have to take anything out of your pocket. Hopefully my dealer will replace the fob without any issues.
sounds like your fob may have been magnetized and got "deprogramed"

there are different types of keyless with push button start. some european models are require to have the fob inserted to a slot before push-starting. Other types are based on proximity like in your Soul. This mean it will work within certain parameter range. On this type of system, with low-dead battery, all you have to do is put the fob close to the push-start button before starting the vehicle. This should be in your owners manual. I don’t have this on my Soul but I have it in my other two Lexus.

One other note, recent article about auto theft and keyless-push button start type of vehicles are on the rise. Apparently there are devices costing few hundred dollars that can scan the fob [someone following you within 50feet] and get codes which than can be replay back in the vehicle and unlock doors and start the vehicle. Mazda was first to make it available on entry-mid level vehicles and looks like Hyundai/KIA is making it into most of their vehicles. This was only exclusive to luxuary brand/models but it is a useful feature but with current implementation, this may become easy target for theft :(

·
Registered
556 Posts
As an afterthought Kia added a "Premium Package w/Push Button Start". Here is a crash course on the smart key w/batteries dead. On your key fob, you will find a small chrome button. If you press than button, you can pop out a regular mechanical key. This key can be used for locking/unlocking the doors or the glovebox. When you need to start your car, there is a key receiver in either the glovebox or the center console where the whole smart key assembly can be inserted. Once in this receiver port, the car will obtain the code from the smart key assembly and let you start your vehicle.

·
Registered
564 Posts
As an afterthought Kia added a "Premium Package w/Push Button Start". Here is a crash course on the smart key w/batteries dead. On your key fob, you will find a small chrome button. If you press than button, you can pop out a regular mechanical key. This key can be used for locking/unlocking the doors or the glovebox. When you need to start your car, there is a key receiver in either the glovebox or the center console where the whole smart key assembly can be inserted. Once in this receiver port, the car will obtain the code from the smart key assembly and let you start your vehicle.
This
It's in the glove box....a little to the left.

·
Registered
690 Posts
oopphs, looks like I was off by few feet :) I thought all of these types were made by same company hence same "work around". proximity feature is really nice to have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts