Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a noise in the left rear of my Kia Soul, something is rattling in the left lower portion of the car. i read somewhere about other people having the same type noise and were able to correct it but didn't explain how they corrected it. Anyone have a possible cause and solution for this problem. I have 37,994 miles on the car since new. HELP !

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I've fixed a few rattles in the Gen 1 Soul's by simply making sure the rear seats were fully latched...

Drove my customer's mad... "What was wrong".

"Rear seat wasn't latched"

"Oh man, what did that cost me?"

"A pat on the back, it happens to the best of us. See you next service"

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,307 Posts
37,994 miles since it was new? That's pretty good if this is your first rattle.

As you probably know finding rattles can leave you feeling like Don Quixote chasing windmills. Like Ajay said, check seat latches, seatbelt buckles. If you feel it's coming from inside, remove everything from the back of the car, test. If it's still there, look for anything that can move. Remove it or tape it down.

It may be a process of elimination. Many times it's something silly.

Noise.jpg

Reactions: Ajay and Buzz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been to the dealer and described the noise i'm hearing. They took it for a drive and heard the sound/rattle. Dealer did there regular inspection and could not find anything loose. I checked all the seats and belt connections in the car and nothing. Whats next, someone has had this problem before me. HELP!

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
ronin have you had someone ride along with you in the back? If not, have someone drive and you sit back there and try to isolate the problem.

My Acura did that the first 3 years I had it. Drove me batsheet crazy. I took the back seats out, speakers, everything under the floor board in the trunk.

I still didn't find it. Acura couldn't and wouldn't help. In the end I lost. I figured it was possibly in a frame/weld/connection someplace.

By year 4 the car was developing rattling elsewhere, you know, the point where you say it's getting older and it's something you live with.

I had the car for many years. It was like my other Honda products, so-so. I never would, or did, recommend Acura to any friends.

My experience with the Kia Soul is just the opposite. Surprisingly so. And I paid less than half what I paid for the Acura (all new).

Keep us posted on your findings and best of luck.

Reactions: Jay jay and SoNic67

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd check the under trunk and jack/spare storage area. The jack can come loose and rattle. If it's more outside sounding you could check the wheel well plastic shrouds to see if one of the plastic tabs has come loose.

·
Registered
649 Posts
There is a noise in the left rear of my Kia Soul, something is rattling in the left lower portion of the car.
Is this rattling happen when going over potholes or all the time (driving on mostly flat roads)?
If it's the first case, you should look at the wheel/suspension components.

It was like my other Honda products, so-so. I never would, or did, recommend Acura to any friends.
That's exactly my conclusion, after helping friends to do repairs on their Honda's/Acura's. I'll never drive a Honda, even given for free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This noise happens on rough streets and of course potholes. I've checked the spare tire area and everything was tight. i'm leaning more toward the left side suspension like worn bushings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This noise happens on rough streets and of course potholes. I've checked the spare tire area and everything was tight. i'm leaning more toward the left side suspension like worn bushings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved, control arm bushing part number 55160b bolt was not tightened at the factory. I tightened it this morning and the car as quite as new. KIA PART.jpg I tried to attach a picture of the schematic but no joy. Thanks to everyone for helping me brainstorm this problem.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,155 Posts
Problem solved, control arm bushing part number 55160b bolt was not tightened at the factory. I tightened it this morning and the car as quite as new.
glad you got it sorted, but how do you determine it "was not tightened at the factory". If that was the case would that not have shown up when you first bought the car (you said you bought it new), also it's now 7 years old, so it's possible things can loosen over time or from lack of use due to your very low mileage. Has the vehicle been maintained according the maintenance schedule? If so, would that not have been spotted earlier?

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Whew! Congrats ronin on solving this mystery.

I'll check mine out too.

Nice detective work & thanks for following thru with the fix.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,064 Posts
Problem solved, control arm bushing part number 55160b bolt was not tightened at the factory. I tightened it this morning and the car as quite as new. View attachment 116569 I tried to attach a picture of the schematic but no joy. Thanks to everyone for helping me brainstorm this problem.

Thank you for posting your results on this issue! I'm making this a sticky so other members are able to easily fine it if needed in the future. :goodpost

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh, Cool.

I had this squeak form the rear “axle” bushing during the winter cold days. I got pissed and didn’t bother looking. I started to think of how much on a PITA would it be to replace them bushings. Car has 117k. I already replaced front control arms. But this is fairly easy. I was scared of this being rusted shut like they usually are on the other car that I chopped up after scavenging parts of it (not Kia).

So I rather being loose then rusted that I can’t take it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Heard most under the hood of my 2012, Soul..... The rattle was the defective water pump and trying to make belt come off. Car is 104,000k, and so they replaced pump, serpentine belt and new coolant...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts