Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 2011 Kia Soul Sport - With the recent weather (snow) ive developped a knocking going over bumps at slow speeds. I don't feel anything loose when going side to side. When I googled it I ran across sway bar bushings / end links or Wishbone Bushings. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts. Someone else suggested the weather with all of the salt and stuff going up there but It feels like a bushing of some sort somewhere..

THoughts?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm 70% sure your lower ball joints are due to be replaced. (From experience driving a 2011 for 8 years)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh don't say that as it sounds pricey! Is there a way to tell that by jacking the car up and moving the wheel side to side? I thought you could do a 12:00 and 6:00 for one and 9:00 3:00 for another or something and if there was any play that would tell you. It honestly sounds like the noise is coming from both sides in the front, but it sounds more like a bushing.. Im not a mechanic of course so Im simply Spit balling ideas.

·
Registered
527 Posts
To check the ball joint you can jack up the front wheels and wiggle the wheel to see if there is any play. You can also use a pry bar in there by the ball joint but do it so that you don't damage the boot or it will fail if grease starts leaking out.
About the simplest way to check sway links at home in your driveway would be to have a helper. Turn the wheel all the way to one side to where you can put your hand on the link, you will turn it the other way for the other side. Have your helper open the driver door and push up on the car to rock it pretty good back and forth. If you put your hand on the link you will feel it clicking and hear the noise as well if it's bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just had a bad ball joint this fall and replaced both control arms and stabilizer links in my 2011.
I was getting a squeeking sound from the bad ball joint.

I changed them myself. Its a fairly simply job in theory. Literally 3 bolts on control arms and 2 on links

I had 2 of the 3 bolts come out no problem and had to cut out the 3rd with a Sawzall. Had to also cut off stabilizer link nuts. Cutting through 1/2 inch hardened bolts under a car isn't fun.

I bought all new oem nuts and bolts along with the control arms, stabilizer links and saw blades and cost me under $400.

It's not hard but if you don't have tools like torque wrench, impact wrench, jack or two etc.. costs gonna go up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it checked out - ITs the front struts. Theres a rubber bushing at the top of the struts apparently there shot. $1400 for Struts all the way around and the end links on the front as well. I asked him how much for just the fronts they said $1200 :( Not saving much sadly. This was quoted through Tire Discounters. not sure if Im going to try and get them replaced or trade it in on something. Can't really afford $1200 or $1400 out of pocket.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Back doesn't have struts its just a shock the springs are seperate. It's not hard to change the front struts yourself. Basically 3 nuts at top in engine bay and 1 bolt behind the wheel where bottom connects.
New strut in and tighten. Look it up on YouTube to see how easy.
If back springs aren't broken and shocks not leaking then you don't need it.

The end links are also super easy its literally 2 nuts.
Took me less than 5 minutes and I had to cut a nut off.

Even if you can't do it yourself 1200 seems high for front struts. Call around

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know in the rears. Do you need an air impact for the fronts? I’ve seen the three bolts up top. What about the bottom. I thought there were two bolts holding it on. Is an alignment needed for it?

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you replace struts you will also need a spring compressor unless you buy "loaded" or "quick" struts but I have never seen one of those made well, they are junk band aids for old cars that aren't going to make it much longer. If someone knows of a quick strut that is decent please post it up. I don't need as good as OEM but the Monroe or the Chinese brands from auto parts stores and online are absolute trash that's not even worth the time never mind the money. I actually have a friend who is also a mechanic and I popped in to see him a few Saturdays ago and he was doing struts on his car. I asked "didn't you replace those like 2 years ago, he said "yeah" this is the 3rd set of Monroe and I laughed that he would still use them.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I thought the ones on rock auto included the spring and everything
I just clicked on it and it says they have original equipment. Price is very suspicious but I would love to hear some feedback on them, I never tried this brand Mando listed as OEM. I honestly have no idea who makes Kia struts, they come in a Kia box when I get them. I do know that every other car manufacturer has tons of regular shock and strut failures and we see nearly none on Kias, just every now and again. Only other cars that I had luck with were German cars that has Sachs or Bilstein on them as those would go 200k no problem.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yah I’ve never had to replace struts on an car I’ve owned. Well scratch that. I had a Saturn sc2 back on the day that I treated like a freaking mcclaren lol yah don’t ask :). But seriously this soul has been great to me. I don’t drive it rough but the low pro factory tires probably aren’t the easiest on struts and shocks either

·
Registered
34 Posts
Putting the spring on isn't really that hard to do.

You don't need an impact but it makes life easy especially on 10 year old bolts.

You can buy them preloaded meaning springs on and its ready to go but I dont know whats out there for aftermarket and if they are any good.i usually by oem for stuff like this.

You can buy oem kia spring and strut for probly 200 ish. There are alot of parts sites for kia that show a part diagram for everything and each part number is shown.
Then Google the part number for best prices.

It's like everything else. You can pay out the ass for a mechanic to do it or you can invest a little time researching how to do the job and save alot of money.
Even if you have to buy tools you will still save and then have tools for next time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts