Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forums and all I've been able to come up with is a post from 2012 from a user that hasn't been active since 2013.

I'm trying to see if anyone has upgraded the front door speakers and kept the ring lights. My drivers side door is blown. Found some replacements but haven't pulled the trigger because they said I'd lose the lights. I don't use them really but I don't want to lose them.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
There has been some discussions about changing out speakers and some members have done it, although not too often. I don't know why you would lose the rings if the speakers fit into the space there (not enough info). I am sure some of the members will have some input for you. Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Ive lurked for awhile, since getting my Soul in November.

The speakers are from Crutchfield, when I went to checkout they warned me i'd lose the pulsating light. Dont know if its just the pulsating or the lights totally. I think im just going to get the speakers and try to figure out keeping the lights. Just wanted to see if anyone else has done it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no wiring harness for the new speakers so it says I have to cut the wires. Maybe thats why?

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
Thinking about this but it makes no sense to me. If, for example, the lights are fed from the same output terminal that feeds the speakers, then they would remain in tact if the speakers are replaced and the light would continue to work. If, on the other hand, there is a tap off on the speaker that feeds the light circuits, then by cutting the wire harness, that wire may not have a connection on the new speakers. That is the current speakers have three wires and the new speaker only has the two (signal and return lines), then the tap off would have lost its signal. That can be remedied by just hooking the signal line back to the input to the speaker.

The only case where I could see the light circuit not working is if there is an isolation device in the speaker itself before the signal is sent to the light circuit. But I would not really believe it necessary to do that but who knows for sure, I would need some wiring diagrams of the car to figure that out. If the new speakers have the same frequency response band and are the same impedance (about 2 ohms) as the original speakers, there is no reason the light circuits should not work providing the hook up to the new speakers is wire for wire with the old (a signal line and a return line, assuming the speakers are grounded at install points to the body).

·
Registered
171 Posts
From having the door panels off many times to install sound deadening, I'm almost positive the lighted ring stays regardless of what speaker is installed. I checked with Crutchfield and 2ohm speakers are pretty expensive compared to 4ohm. I know you'll have to turn up the volume with 4ohm but not sure how much and if thats something that can be adjusted with the fader.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The speakers I got are 4 ohm. I just wanted something to replace the busted one. I'll get into the door when I get them and let you all now how it turns out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The speakers I got are 4 ohm. I just wanted something to replace the busted one. I'll get into the door when I get them and let you all now how it turns out.
Well I know it's been years since u posted. But any luck was thinking about replacing my GFS entire setup. (Like u can figure she's blown all the speakers from a ex who thought adjusting all audio levels to +10 makes it sound better) SMH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts