Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
NE Kansas, 2011 Kia Soul Base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2011 Gen 1 right now at a local dealer here in Lawrence, Kansas. It has:
  1. the 1.6L 4 Cyl. CVVT
  2. 5 Speed Manual w/ Overdrive
  3. 116,153 miles on the clock
  4. Base, few frills commuter car
Dealer has it for wholesale at $4500.

Is that a good deal?
What things should I look out for?
How easy are they to wrench on myself as a shade tree mechanic?
How are they past 100k?

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
364 Posts
Although I have no experience with the small engine Souls or manual transmissions I can say that they are in general really reliable. My daughter's 2010 has about 160,000 and although the engine was replaced(not a wear issue, hose failure drained coolant and engine blew before she could get it stopped) the rest of the car and the replacement engine(used) have been excellent. Very few problems.

·
Premium Member
Co. 6900ft 2018 and 2012 Soul+
372 Posts
HI !!

According to Kelly Blue book, the sale price of 4500 is right on the top of the scale for that vehicle. That is based upon my area, but is subjective to yours.

Consider the condition of fair to good, and the value should be around 4k. If the vehicle is good to very good, then I might consider 4.5k$ That's me. If it was my kid who was shopping it, I would look around at that price and see what else may be available. Again, that's me.

I can't speak for all, but in my observation, it seems that there are many that made it past 100k and some 200k and are still going. There is at least 1 verified case of 300k I am aware of. I'm at 75k with my 2012 Plus and he's still going strong, so I expect it will easily make 100k + in the years ahead, if given the chance.

Good luck, and let us know what you decided,

H

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for sharing! During the test drive it seemed really solid. If the pre-purchase inspection comes back solid I’m thinking of offering $4k out the door TTL and all and see what they counter with.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Dealer always overprice because of folks like me who want to dicker. Now harder than 50 years ago as information is out there They are still hoping someone comes in who doesn't know what they should pay and stick them for a big price. And don't forget the extras!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For my region it’s actually significantly under the average price according to KBB. They have a typical listing price of $5800 and a fair market value range of $4600-$5900. I’m fairly sure I can get it for about $4000-4250 out the door. It’s been there for two months already on wholesale so I’m sure they’re eager to dump it before the new year.

oh and the abundance of information is absolutely true. I looked at a ‘14 Ford Fiesta at a local dealer and they refused to budge a penny for that very reason.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I guess my main concern is, I don’t want to buy this car on a note and have the motor lock up on me or something like that. based on my reading of owner experiences here and among friends/acquaintances, assuming the maintenance schedule is followed that won’t be a concern.

I’m also pretty heartened by the JD Power rankings from 2014. The 2011 basically tied the Scion XB and I see plenty of both still on the road.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Pull off the oil fill cap, bring a small flashlight and look down in there. 1.6 is a good motor, if you see dark sludge buildup run away from it, if everything has a nice gold color to it negotiate the price and buy it. 5 speeds are hard to sell, even though many of us would prefer a manual the vast majority of public sees it as a huge downgrade. KBB wholesale on a base 5 speed is probably much lower than their asking price, it is the options that can drive it up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pull off the oil fill cap, bring a small flashlight and look down in there. 1.6 is a good motor, if you see dark sludge buildup run away from it, if everything has a nice gold color to it negotiate the price and buy it. 5 speeds are hard to sell, even though many of us would prefer a manual the vast majority of public sees it as a huge downgrade. KBB wholesale on a base 5 speed is probably much lower than their asking price, it is the options that can drive it up.
This is excellent advice. Thank you! is it going to make a difference if the dealer serviced it already?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sludge will not disappear, if you flushed the motor a couple times with a flush there would still be remnants. If there is no sludge build up it would be some indication of having good oil changes and the motor should be fine. Most dealers also do an inspection on the car they sell. Ask for a copy, it should have brake and tire measurements etc...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks very much, friend. This is invaluable information.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Be aware all reputable dealer change oil on the used cars they keep to sell. Though it makes it hard to see how the car has been treated with clean oil. I suspect that is the reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts