Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011+, 5 speed. I'm new to Souls. Ran across a 2011 with 65k on the clock. Was looking for a manual to tow behind motor home and it fits the bill! My 13 Optima has plenty of power but the soul is a little lacking. I'm looking for basic performance mods that will help the output of the 2 liter. Point me to a thread. I tried to search but was overwhelmed!

Thanks in advance!

Hal

·
Registered
263 Posts

I don't think too many of us get into motor mods but apparently there are several items available. More came up, attached a representative sample.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There's a few things available. Intakes are pretty easy to find, there are a few headers, the doug thorley axle back exhaust can normally be found on ebay. I went to a local shop and had them make a full catback exhaust for me. A beta 2 tiburon underdrive pulley will work, I have the one from shark racing, but haven't put it on yet.

There used to be a turbo kit available from jattus, I only know of one be sold and they have since quit making turbo kits. Tuning would need a piggyback like the aem fic or something like megasquirt. A member here has megasquirt on their soul, I'm not sure if all of the bugs were worked out.

·
Registered
550 Posts
None of those mods will help with the towing problem. Manufacturer doesn't recommend towing with this car, period.

If you feel "lucky", and still want to tow, a necessary mod would be to add an extra transmission cooler, to help with towing heat. That is more efficient to do on Automatic transmissions. Is routinelly made on big SUV's when they have a "towing package". Of course and add the electrical harness.

On a manual transmission the weakest link it will be the clutch. Not sure if you can find an upgraded one...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Was looking for a manual to tow behind motor home
None of those mods will help with the towing problem
I believe the motorhome is pulling the Soul, with the Soul being used for travel at destination, and OP is looking for more pep from new toy.
to thewheelman, Personally I find the 2.0 5sp plenty for both daily and spirited driving, however I had to become accustomed to the shift points, RPM's and engine braking.

·
Super Moderator
7,772 Posts
You can see the mods I've made on my 2010 2.0 in my signature. Freeing up the intake and exhaust helps wake up the 2.0 a bit. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all! Yeah, looking for a little more pep--nothing major, just fishing for what is simple, easy to do mods, like opening up the breather box, exhaust, etc. The 5 speed is fun to drive, but I wish it had a 6th gear--sounds nervous about 80 mph! Yes, I am towing the Soul behind a motor home for transportation when I arrive at my destination.......maybe on a full-time basis!

·
Registered
43 Posts
A GOOD and complete tuneup and cleaning of the injection system will make a world of difference. I as well wish I had a 6 speed. At 80 it is turning about 4,000 RPM and about 26 MPG.

·
Registered
14,844 Posts
A GOOD and complete tuneup and cleaning of the injection system will make a world of difference. I as well wish I had a 6 speed. At 80 it is turning about 4,000 RPM and about 26 MPG.
my previous 2012 4u with the 6-spd auto would turn over 2400 rpm at 110 kmph.

·
Registered
14,844 Posts
That must be fantastic on the highway for fuel economy. As noted at 80MPH mine is getting around 26MPG If I back down to 60MPH I can get as high as 30MPH or a little better.
I didn't realize that in NB they still used mph and gallons 😁

·
Registered
43 Posts
I didn't realize that in NB they still used mph and gallons 😁
You must be from southern ON. LOL

Most of the English speaking population does as well. I prefer to use those units because I am used to them and can convert without thinking. Also as most on this group is not from Canada, it makes it easier to compare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts