Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 soul 2.0
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blown head gasket around 4 years ago. Scrapped old head got a reman from a well known company that specializes in heads. Fixy fixy alls running good. 2 years ago start to do better upkeep on car. Check engine light comes on multiple misfires. Blah blah. Replace spark plugs and wires. Then coil pack. Blah blah. Around a year ago check engine light came back on cylinder one misfire. Checked plugs, coils, wires, injectors. Swapped things around. Compression checked all cylinders. Rechecked all my timing from 4 years ago just to be safe… (was young and dumb) all is good! I still have a constant misfire on cylinder 1, with high idle, like 1100-1200 rpm. Car runs fine for being 10 years old. Even gets decent mpg. Around 30 mpg, lot of highway. Now I’m basically down to it’s a program error in the cpu, or I need to pull the bulb for the CEL…

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It's not going to be a program error in the ECU. So we assume you checked and you have good spark on cyl 1, use a test light in the plug wire and and put the end of the test light probe near your cylinder head and see if the spark jumps from the end of it and then start pulling it away from the head slowly and see how far away you can get before you lose it, compare that to a known good cylinder and see if there is a difference, it should jump an inch gap if it is all good. If your spark tested good move on to see if the injector is ok, you can swap injectors and see if the misfire moves. Misfire can be caused by fuel or also a vacuum leak around the intake on that cylinder. One final check would be to measure the valve clearance on cylinder 1, you could have a tight valve and need to re shim it, the old school 2.0 that you have is easy to do compared to the new ones.

·
Registered
2011 soul 2.0
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not going to be a program error in the ECU. So we assume you checked and you have good spark on cyl 1, use a test light in the plug wire and and put the end of the test light probe near your cylinder head and see if the spark jumps from the end of it and then start pulling it away from the head slowly and see how far away you can get before you lose it, compare that to a known good cylinder and see if there is a difference, it should jump an inch gap if it is all good. If your spark tested good move on to see if the injector is ok, you can swap injectors and see if the misfire moves. Misfire can be caused by fuel or also a vacuum leak around the intake on that cylinder. One final check would be to measure the valve clearance on cylinder 1, you could have a tight valve and need to re shim it, the old school 2.0 that you have is easy to do compared to the new ones.
You would be correct, and I’ve also tested, cleaned, and swapped around injectors as well. I apologize for the sloppy post I was typing as I was thinking. Currently I have around 7 people brainstorming anything that could be wrong. Most have settled on a vacuum leak but we haven’t been able to find one yet using various…. Methods…. As I’ve said though it runs great, just has high idle, cold and warm, and cylinder 1 misfire. Computer wise it’s almost as if it’s not firing at all

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You obviously have a scanner, can you pull up fuel trim data? If fuel trims are positive (adding fuel at idle) and when you hold the engine at 2k rpm they add less that is a sure sign of a vacuum leak. Basically watch the fuel trim number at idle and then rev the engine steady and see if the fuel trim number starts going down

·
Registered
546 Posts
I assume you can still use a noid light to see if the computer is sending power to the injector. Or you could use a 12 volt test light. Only difference is noid light also checks the ground. Is cel flashing? If so you shouldn't be driving it as it's dumping raw gas into the converter which can ruin it.

·
Registered
2011 soul 2.0
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You obviously have a scanner, can you pull up fuel trim data? If fuel trims are positive (adding fuel at idle) and when you hold the engine at 2k rpm they add less that is a sure sign of a vacuum leak. Basically watch the fuel trim number at idle and then rev the engine steady and see if the fuel trim number starts going down
8 years a diesel tech. Diesels easy man, no spark plugs no coils. Always been a diy guy. So yes I have a scanner, thanks I’ll give these a shot in the next day or two.

·
Registered
2011 + m/t 2.0l
651 Posts
disconnect battery, ohm any ground path you have. probably should correct the battery to body connection. most Souls have full paint and are depending on the threads of a 10mm bolt.

·
Registered
2011 soul 2.0
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
disconnect battery, ohm any ground path you have. probably should correct the battery to body connection. most Souls have full paint and are depending on the threads of a 10mm bolt.
Good thought but that has already been done. Did it when I did the engine tear down for the head gasket. Was bored and had recently been doing a lot of electrical work at work during that time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts