Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come for mine to finally get new tires. She's barely hitting 37k and with another infamous Arizona summer approaching, it seems now is the right time as a summer blowout can wreck your car in AZ. tirerack.com and Discount Tire both recommend the Kumho Ecsta 4X for an all-weather replacement (40K option is rated lower than 30K option!?). I was used to driving/riding in vehicles with 18s when I got the Soul, so there's not really been an issue with performance, the handling or the conversion to driving on them. Living in the Valley of the Sun's flatness, the potholes and craggy roads aren't enough of an issue to downgrade out of the stock 18s. However, I'm just wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding Dunlop Direzza tires (Discount rates these a perfect 10 for the vehicle in customer rating and 9.5 for compatibility), which I've also seen recommended on multiple alternate sites. I've not driven Dunlops before and am looking to see what info anyone has. I'm not adverse to spending the money for the 18s, just would like to get the best option for the money. The dealership has been clear the Kumhos would be a good choice, if Michelins were out of price range, with no info on Dunlops whatsoever. Any suggestions, comments, quotes, etc. are appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you looked at Tire Rack's site? They have more reviews. I would go with Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports. Dunlops usually don't get very good reviews. A friend of mine bought Kumho tires on his Hyundai Tiberon a few years ago and wasn't able to ever get them balanced properly. After looking at the price of tires for 18s, I'm glad I have 15s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I started with them. They were the ones providing the initial recommendation. Then reviewed Discount's information. Thanks, though, I'll keeping searching.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ya mean new soles for your soul? Not sure if they come in the right size but I had a set of General Altimax HPs I liked and (surprisingly) some Riken Raptors that were about the cheapest thing I could find, but turned out to be good tires. These were not on the soul, mind you but other cars. Avoid the Continental ContiProContact. These were disappointing to me as OEM tires on an Altima and two GTIs.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
62000 miles on my 18's Nexeons and I got mine fron Walmart. Same tires that came with car for $101.00 a piece. All other stuff extra but worth the expence.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I had Nexens on a previous vehicle and they were great. They've been described as a blue collar Michelin. That having been said, my last three sets for other vehicles have indeed been Michelins. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know how you get that milage but my original Nexen 195/15 inch lasted some 17,000 km which should be around 11,500 miles.

Ok, lots of mountain road travels. And i like it quick ;)

Regards
Thommy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts