Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to the group and hope someone can offer a solution to the issue I am having with my audio system.
Since it's very hard to describe what is happening, please watch the video I put up on YouTube. That should explain it all.

2010 Kia Soul Radio/Audio System problems - YouTube

Additionally, since it's no fun driving without a radio, I've disconnected the yellow and green wire harnesses from the back of the radio (see attached picture) and we're able to listen through the back speakers only, without the issues as described in the video.

This, of course, does not fix the problem, but does allow us to use the radio, though not to it's fullest potential.

I'm hoping this problem we are having is something someone has seen before, and can advise how to fix it.

Thank you for your time everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
sounds like you need a new radio.....I am wondering why you have not taken it in to your dealer before unhooking wires? It is still under warranty so I wouldn't be touching anything!!
Just my opinion...
naturegirl

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Installed a new radio...Same issue, so it's not the radio, but something in the wiring, I suspect.
It is no longer under warranty, 84K miles.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Could well be that the amp has died. Well, half of it anyway, as some of the audio is still working.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took it to my local (well, next city over) car audio shop and they did some system, resistance and continuity tests.
Sadly, nothing stood out as being the "issue", but based on what we saw, we do figure it is most likely the amp. I've purchased a replacement amp, so once I get it installed, I'll post the results.
Kiddos goes to Chris at Sound Decisions in Racine, WI. He took the time to investigate this with me and offered a couple of possible solutions to try.
Sadly, the service dept. at Palmen Kia, Kenosha nor Kia themselves has even responded to the corresponce I've sent them on this issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Took it to my local (well, next city over) car audio shop and they did some system, resistance and continuity tests.
Sadly, nothing stood out as being the "issue", but based on what we saw, we do figure it is most likely the amp. I've purchased a replacement amp, so once I get it installed, I'll post the results.
Kiddos goes to Chris at Sound Decisions in Racine, WI. He took the time to investigate this with me and offered a couple of possible solutions to try.
Sadly, the service dept. at Palmen Kia, Kenosha nor Kia themselves has even responded to the corresponce I've sent them on this issue.
Hey, did you ever get this resolved? I have a 2010 with the same problem. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Interesting video. What you have here is an arching of the circuit to the front speakers. That generally will happen in the output amplifiers to the front speakers only which means that the rear speaker output is being adequately filtered. I am not sure how your amp is wired up but doesn't it just provide output to the subwoofer? The only way this could be the amp is if the output to the front speakers are going through the amp in dedicated circuits. The fact that the rear speakers do not show it means that the noise being generated is not system wide but isolated to a specific circuitry. Since a new radio did not solve the problem, and I may be wrong here, but to my thinking replacing the amp will not fix it either. That only leaves dedicated wiring including plugs and sockets on the front speaker lines. That is only going to be isolated by a tiring inch by inch inspection of the wiring looking for a short or a worn spot in the isolation covering on the wires, or something in a connector. Perplexing problem. Jump the output from the radio to the front speakers with separate wires (disconnect the existing wiring) and see if it shows up. If yes, then it is not the wiring, if no, then it is the wiring.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey, did you ever get this resolved? I have a 2010 with the same problem. Thanks.
I went to the Youtube video link he posted and read this:

"UPDATE: It was the external amplifier. I replaced it and all is well again. Special thanks to Chris at SOUND DECISIONS in Racine, WI. I appreciate the time you took investigating this. It's good to know some places still believe in Customer Service. Sadly, the Service Dept. at Palmen Kia, Kenosha, never even responded to any of my correspondence and Kia Motors themselves wasn't helpful at all either. Thanks again SOUND DECISIONS."

So ----

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts

"UPDATE: It was the external amplifier. I replaced it and all is well again. Special thanks to Chris at SOUND DECISIONS in Racine, WI. I appreciate the time you took investigating this. It's good to know some places still believe in Customer Service. Sadly, the Service Dept. at Palmen Kia, Kenosha, never even responded to any of my correspondence and Kia Motors themselves wasn't helpful at all either. Thanks again SOUND DECISIONS."

So ----
The thing about electronics, is no matter how good or bad you are with it, it is always hard to trouble shoot from the arm chair. It does not sound logical that it would be the amp BUT I don't have the wiring diagram and could be wrong if the wiring in actuality is different than the diagram in my head. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts

So ----
Thanks for that!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The thing about electronics, is no matter how good or bad you are with it, it is always hard to trouble shoot from the arm chair. It does not sound logical that it would be the amp BUT I don't have the wiring diagram and could be wrong if the wiring in actuality is different than the diagram in my head. :)
I dialed the fader from front to back and the same "interference" was happening in the rear speakers as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts