Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I own 2 Souls, a 2011 base and a 2010+. The problem I am having is with my 2010+, here is whats going on.

We have owned this Soul since 2013 and it is my Grandma's daily driver, I am currently driving it because my Soul is getting repaired due to a recent accident. Now, pretty much since we have owned it, she has had the headlights on due to her left hand not being fully usable to her stroke in 2011, making it hard for her to turn them on and off, as well as the Soul's auto off light feature being quite convenient to her. Now, about 2 weeks ago I was driving it to work in the rain and the headlights were on as normal. I went into work and about 15 minutes later, my manager tells me my lights are on. I was curious to see because all the lights have always turned off automatically when I exit the vehicle. I go out to see my parking lights are still on. And it has been that way since. I however noticed that my Driver's Front Parking Light did blow out and I replaced it thinking that would resolve my issue. Sadly it has not. I don't know what I could have done to make the Parking Lights stay on but I would really like any input on what I could have done and how to resolve my issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
parking lights can be overridden to stay on all the time (like if you need to stop in emergency and don't want them to turn off automatically), check your owners manual on page 4/46 with regards the battery saver function.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read that page and I did what it said. They still stay on. I think I have read just about everything I could find about this problem and nothing has worked. According to the manual, If the car is on and my headlights are turned to the on position, if I were to turn the ignition off, remove my key, and exit the vehicle, in that order. All exterior lights should be off. As I perform that task, in said order, the Parking Lights will remain on until I re-enter my vehicle and turn my headlights to the off position, an additional task I previously did not have to take. Is there something I am missing? This problem has really been bothering me because I am so used to leaving the lights on without trouble on both my grandmother's and my Soul.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
then you will just have to learn to remember to automatically turn them off when you exit the vehicle. We had to do that on all vehicles at one time.

Mine don't turn off till about 30 seconds after I exit the vehicle (it won't if you leave the door open), or turn off right away if I push the button my door (smart key) or push the lock button on the remote.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I understand that, just remembering to turn them off for me isn't a problem, I did it with all 3 of my previous cars. Resolving the issue at hand isn't to help me. I could personally care less if I have to turn them off. It is really for my grandmother. As I said, she had a stroke back in 2011 and her left hand and left foot don't work like they used to. She can't really feel her left foot and she has a hard time trying to grip anything with her left hand. And sometimes when she does grip, her hand wont release for a few seconds. That is why the Auto Off Lights are something I would like to get working again. I am not trying to be rude in any sort of way, I apologize if it sounds like I am having an attitude, that is not my intention. I appreciate any help I can get.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
I didn't think you were rude, just trying to understand the situation, maybe a member with that year of vehicle might be able to help you.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hi Slipknot,

While I feel your pain and several things could technically cause this anomaly, I'm betting it's the switch/relay that's gone bad and having that replaced will fix it. A dealer or any decent mechanic could sort that out for you quickly.

Greg

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a 15 rio that has the same problem intermittently.

I don't know what causes it but when you hit lock it will shut off the lights after maybe 5 seconds but once in a while it won't. They just stay on. (this is with the lights in the on position)

If I wait to see and it doesn't turn off and then open the door back up and relock it will shut off. Only happens sometimes.

Just tell her to make sure they're off until you can get it fixed.

It's not a fix but at least you know it's happening on other cars.

It's not the door switch and most likely is a sticking relay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts