Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 3rd oil change now. Still don't get it. I put in 4 qts and OEM filter and its slightly passed the F mark. Manual said 4.23 qts. What am I missing!?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I get that but then it'd be even MORE over! :mask:
4.23 essentially references "dry fill", meaning that's the amount of oil it would take if you could suck practically all the oil out. I'll let mine drain for 30 minutes and add 4 quarts and it'll still be overfilled. It's normal.
Greg

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it.

Overfilled oil becomes a problem only when it's so severely overfilled that the crankshaft splashes into the oil and causes it to froth up and cause the oil to become entrained with air. I would guess that it would have to be overfilled to by several quarts to get to that point.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
??When you or a "service" drains the oil,do you think ALL the oil is removed?
No.
I always use 4 qts and a OEM filter.
It is right on the full mark.

Hey,if it is a bit above,not to worry.

By the way,since we are on oil,on advice I rec'vd from my Kia place,and I believe
it may have been in a post here....I change to 10w-30 from the 5w30w.
What happened? The tick-tick sound I'd get when cold starting went away!
Engine overall much more quiet.
I always use semi-synthetic too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all! I'll stick to 4 quarts! :D And I agree I just went from 5w-20 to 5w-30 and its quieter! Was just to lower the TINY bit of oil I'm burning with thicker oil. Will try 10w-30 next! Not sure how good I feel running 10w-30 in the winter but... In the summer its all good! :)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Thanks all! I'll stick to 4 quarts! :D And I agree I just went from 5w-20 to 5w-30 and its quieter! Was just to lower the TINY bit of oil I'm burning with thicker oil. Will try 10w-30 next! Not sure how good I feel running 10w-30 in the winter but... In the summer its all good! :)
I'm convinced that the 5W-20 recommendation is just to keep the EPA happy. In theory, you'll burn slightly less fuel using 5W-20. That has not been the case in practice, in my experience. (I did, however, burn some oil using 5W-20. Switching to 5W-30 solved that problem, too.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts