Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having the transmission oil changed in my 2010 Kia Soul in the hopes that its low, and that's what's causing it to slip out in 3rd & 4th when accelerated quickly. Every Transmission Mechanic I talk to acts like it's definitely a much bigger job. Anyone have this problem?? And what was the solution??? Thank you in advance, I just lost my job and need this vehicle desperately. I'm the sole provider and this is a crucial fix :(

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,215 Posts
Is this an automatic or manual transmission Jermj?

This is from the Interweb:
The most common cause for slipping is low fluid levels. Low fluid levels can create a number of problems, such as overheating and not enough hydraulic pressure being produced to engage gears. ... The transmission fluid is in a closed system and should never be low; low levels could indicate a leak in the transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual

Is this an automatic or manual transmission Jermj?

This is from the Interweb:
The most common cause for slipping is low fluid levels. Low fluid levels can create a number of problems, such as overheating and not enough hydraulic pressure being produced to engage gears. ... The transmission fluid is in a closed system and should never be low; low levels could indicate a leak in the transmission.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
How many miles on this clutch? Does the clutch pedal seem soft or OK?

Have you been able to check the brake fluid level? That can indicate if there's a leak in the master/slave cylinder.

Reactions: Kerig3 and Buzz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for responding.....I have no idea how many miles on the clutch. Clutch feels ok thought. I bought it in Feb 2019 with 120K.

I just had a standard oil change and they didn't say anything about the brake oil being low. So I'd assume its ok. One thing I did notice is the first 10 minutes driving it, it doesn't slip out but any heavy pressure on the gas it starts to jump out of gear.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Man, it's probably the original clutch and is well worn. Of course you have no idea how the previous owner treated the clutch.

How do you fix a manual gear popping out of gear?
The bearings that keep the gears pressed together can become worn. As this happens, they stop pressing the gears as efficiently as before, which means the gears can slip apart more easily -- thus dropping your car into neutral. Again, the way to fix this is to replace the bearings

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it's popping out of gear when you accelerate, worn synchronizers most likely. Does the shifter feel kind of strange when going to third or fourth gear?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does, 3rd has always been hard to get in. Well hopefully a shop won't rape me for a Synchronizer replacement.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
With a $1k quote on the Clutch being replaced, I gotta find another way.
If you can, look around for a few more quotes or even try asking a mechanic if they can recommend a good clutch person who is more affordable. Seriously, it's amazing, if you ask, people who want more $$ than you want to pay will often give you a great lead elsewhere. It may be a friend or relative & they look good for sending you to them. Turn on that charm.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the information GeoSoul, I really appreciate it. I'm on the hunt for a honest mechanic to do this job.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
If you have a trade school, high, school or college that teaches auto mechanics nearby (and which is actually in operation), that could be another option. Typically you pay only for the parts. Not a good choice if you're in a hurry, though.

I've also had some positive experiences with AAMCO over the years; but I believe their shops are franchised, so it would be a crap shoot. They also have a credit card through Synchrony that pretty much anyone with a pulse qualifies for.

Richard

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you have a trade school, high, school or college that teaches auto mechanics nearby (and which is actually in operation), that could be another option. Typically you pay only for the parts. Not a good choice if you're in a hurry, though.

I've also had some positive experiences with AAMCO over the years; but I believe their shops are franchised, so it would be a crap shoot. They also have a credit card through Synchrony that pretty much anyone with a pulse qualifies for.

Richard
If you go through Synchrony, be CAREFUL you pay it off BEFORE the 0% interest expires, my GF made that mistake with a mattress, she didn't pay it off before the 0% went away and she got saddled with an additional 360$ on the bill.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
If you go through Synchrony, be CAREFUL you pay it off BEFORE the 0% interest expires, my GF made that mistake with a mattress, she didn't pay it off before the 0% went away and she got saddled with an additional 360$ on the bill.
Absolutely. They just defer the interest. If you owe a penny at the end of the interest-free period, they add it all back on from day one.

However, if you need your car fixed and no one else will give you credit, Synchrony usually will. So they do fill a niche.

Richard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts