Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone in here ever changed the 5 speed manual gearbox of the Soul to the 6 speed one on the Ceed?

I dont usually have complaints with the gearbox, but for highway use the 5 speed its very short and since the engine is the same as in the Ceed model, but it has a 6 speed i was wandering if it is swap'able.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I don't know if anyone has done it but in my opinion it would be a waste of time & energy. Unless you just wanted to do it for fun; you hardly gain anything from 6th. In fact, I'd be more inclined to swap my 6 speed for the older 5 speed; the 1-2 and 5-6 gear ratios really suck on this transmission.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The swap was more for confort and more fuel consuptiom eficiency.
Didnt know the 6 speed was so bad. Yours the diesel or petrol one?

Some quirks on my 5 speed were fixed with the retune i made on the engine.

·
Registered
528 Posts
if you look through a few of conwelpic posts (advanced search highly recommended) he has several charts like the one in the post i reference below. (you have to visit the original thread to see it) the final drive is not significantly different between the 2010/11 mt5 and the 2012 mt6
as well as Cobra259's reply here is a chart I did a little while ago on the gear ratios that may help you further.
As you have not filled out your location I don't know whether you are in the US or Canada. Maintenance and all the specs are readily available for anyone on KGIS. You can also download owners manuals, warranty details from this site. If in Canada you download owners manuals from the Kia Canada website.
There is very little difference in fuel mileage of a manual or the auto in the 2012 model, I can't see it amounting to much over the life of the vehicle, just depends on your preference, what features you want and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The swap was more for confort and more fuel consuptiom eficiency.
Didnt know the 6 speed was so bad. Yours the diesel or petrol one?

Some quirks on my 5 speed were fixed with the retune i made on the engine.
Gasoline. The gear ratio from 2-5 is pretty good. it's 1-2 and 5-6 that suck. 6 has no balls whatsoever and there's no room in 1 whatsoever, so you are either running up the RPM or lugging in 2. Also the difference from 5-6 is virtually nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts