Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Door locks stopped working. Found the fuse was blown - when I went to replace the fuse I got a pretty good spark (and new fuse blew). I have had wiring issues in the past (rear hatch) due to the very cold climate and tiny wires that Kia has used. I am thinking of checking the wires at the rear hatch again and also the drivers door wiring and maybe main switch...wondering if anyone has any other ideas? I have heard of BCM (Body Control Module) issues but don't know how those issues are manifested. Would appreciate any ideas or information from anyone who has experienced similar issues.
Do find it weird that even though the doors don't lock, sometimes the rear hatch won't open....maybe there is some other mechanism/cable in that latch I am not aware of?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found an old thread that had a similar issue. The dealer replaced the fuse panel as it was under warranty. I assume they are talking about the interior fuse panel? Seems like the issue might be a door lock relay that is located behind that panel. Does anyone know if that relay is replaceable...or does the complete unit have to be replaced?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Unfortunately the door lock fuse has only the door locks in the 4 passenger doors on it. The rear hatch has separate fuse for it's opener and has no actual lock. So it's either the fuse panel, the lock actuators, or the wiring between.

You can find all sorts of explanations online of how a 5-wire door lock system works, so I won't explain it all here. Long story short, if the fuse blows while you're inserting it, it has to be the fuse panel/relays that are bad. Unfortunately the relays are not designed to be user serviceable and typically require replacing the whole box.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If it's relay related in the fuse box, before you try to replace it you can try tapping on it vigorously and possible unsticking the frozen relay. Use something hard to tap with and it may pop loose. Try another fuse and see. It may get you a while longer until you have to replace the panel entirely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this exact problem happening with my daughters soul. She just bought it used, and thought I could just replace fuses to fix. Her stereo also doesn't work, at all, won't turn on. Has anyone been able to find a fix with the door lock issue?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts