Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've had our Manual Soul for a week now and my partner has complained about a problem selecting first gear. I've not driven the Soul much but it did the same thing to me, it takes 3 attempts to get it in to first, each timing releasing the clutch and then pressing it back in again.

It's probably happened 5-10 times in 500 miles.

Anyone else had something similar?

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found this on a US site.....

"The manual transmission may be difficult to shift into 1st gear. Our technicians tell us that a revised shifter lower skirt is available to correct this concern."

Does anyone know what a revised lower shifter skirt is?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
The replacement lower skirt is available under P/N 43713 2K100QQK given at Soul shift - Automotive Service Professional

Try your Kia Dealer and see if they have the part. The web site provides replacement instructions, looks as if one were reasonably handy, they could do this in less than an hour.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Update: Edd could not locate the part in UK, 6 mos. waiting time.

I found it available, perhaps, on a web site and provided to Edd. I also located in the Kia US warehouse system but not locally at my dealer. I have forwarded the info to Edd, not sure were to go from here.

Since this situation was probably updated in later vehicles, it may be possible that a 2009/2010/2011 may be found in a junk yard that would have the part installed. Chancy but may be the only way to find one close at hand.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Edd could not locate the part in UK, 6 mos. waiting time.

I found it available, perhaps, on a web site and provided to Edd. I also located in the Kia US warehouse system but not locally at my dealer. I have forwarded the info to Edd, not sure were to go from here.

Since this situation was probably updated in later vehicles, it may be possible that a 2009/2010/2011 may be found in a junk yard that would have the part installed. Chancy but may be the only way to find one close at hand.
Thanks for all your help mate, the scrap yard idea is a possibility too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are welcome, good luck and let us know what happens. It is always good to collect experiences on the site. :)
I don't suppose you know if this part will have a version for the US and a different version for the UK?

I ask because you guys have the wheel on the wrong side don't you, so there will be some differences with the gear selector....

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I don't suppose you know if this part will have a version for the US and a different version for the UK?

I ask because you guys have the wheel on the wrong side don't you, so there will be some differences with the gear selector....
Sorry, Edd, cannot answer that one. However, even if the wheel is on the other side, that should not affect the shift pattern, the shifter is completely independent of the steering. That seems logical to me, but when it comes to cars, sometimes logic flies out the window. I located the part on line for .98 USD, so it is not a big loss if it doesn't fit (the US part that is); but even so it may cost more than a pound or two to get it shipped.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know if the black plastic part in the image below is the bit that I need? Or is that something else....

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
According to the drawings that is it. Is this available to you or do you have to take the entire assembly? Also, from what year is the piece from? You would have to look to see if it is different than what you have, otherwise you will not be fixing your problem.

EDIT: If you can get the build date from the donor car, you can check to see if it is the right one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sorry, Edd, cannot answer that one. However, even if the wheel is on the other side, that should not affect the shift pattern, the shifter is completely independent of the steering. That seems logical to me, but when it comes to cars, sometimes logic flies out the window. I located the part on line for .98 USD, so it is not a big loss if it doesn't fit (the US part that is); but even so it may cost more than a pound or two to get it shipped.
You're right Shaggy, it's logical that the part is the same. There's no reason for it to be different, that's me being daft.

The part is very cheap but it's going to cost over $20 to post. The car is booked in with the dealer next Wednesday (their earliest slot apparently) for them to test it. I imagine it will behave when they are driving it and this part is currently unavailable in the UK so I can't see what the dealer will do about it.

I think I'll just order the part and bite the bullet with the postage cost.

Thanks again - Great Forum!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to the drawings that is it. Is this available to you or do you have to take the entire assembly? Also, from what year is the piece from? You would have to look to see if it is different than what you have, otherwise you will not be fixing your problem.
That part is available from a local breaker, he states it is from a 2011 model. I thought this issue was rectified on early 2010 cars?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
That part is available from a local breaker, he states it is from a 2011 model. I thought this issue was rectified on early 2010 cars?
This is a little confusing for us here. The 2009 model was not sold in the US as the 2009 model but as the 2010 model along with later 2010 models. So the build date is the only way for us to tell the difference. If this is the same transmission on the 2011, then this part should be correct piece to fix your problem according to the information that is on that web site in the earlier post.

Edit: In 2012 the cars went to a six speed manual, so anything from there probably will not work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll just order a new one from the US, it seems the best option.

$36 delivered to the UK!!! For a part that is available at less than $1, madness.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I'll just order a new one from the US, it seems the best option.

$36 delivered to the UK!!! For a part that is available at less than $1, madness.
Yes, I dealt with international shipping to all over the world for a few years. It was madness because both ends have endless paperwork, varying import/export exclusions, import and export tariffs not to mention transportation bans of all sorts, yada, yada, yada. Mindless bureaucrats seem to breed and multiply all over. I am always surprised that they have not figured out a way to interfere with the internet yet, but I have no doubt that they will try. Still if this fixes you situation, it may be money well spent to get some peace of mind.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
First gear is way over-rated anyway. Just start off in second gear and you'll be fine. :)

That's the best thing to do in any kind of inclement weather anyway, or on ice or snow.
It also works in 'Sand'.

Things can be send, person to person, over seas, with a minimum of hassle. Send it as a "Gift".

:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts