Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"Fourteen models were found to be at least twice as likely as the average car to be involved in a fatal accident. They are: Mitsubishi Mirage (subcompact car) Chevrolet Corvette (sports car) Honda Fit (subcompact car) Kia Forte (compact car) Chevrolet Spark (subcompact car) Subaru BRZ (sports car) Nissan 370Z (sports car) Nissan Versa (subcompact car) Kia Rio (subcompact car) Dodge Challenger (sports car) Chevrolet Camaro (sports car) Kia Soul (compact car) Hyundai Veloster Turbo (sports car) Nissan Versa Note (subcompact car) Subcompact cars and sports cars are the most represented vehicle categories on the list,"

·
Registered
657 Posts
This report does not clarify "more likely to be involved in a fatal accident". Are they talking about single-vehicle crashes or crashes with a second vehicle? Are these deaths the result of drivers running off the road and crashing into a fixed object or are they innocent victims of larger vehicles? Are these deaths the result of poorly-designed cars or just unskilled/inexperienced drivers? Too many variables.

1) Small, inexpensive cars are often driven by young, inexperienced drivers. Parents buy these for their teenagers and kids heading off to college.
2) Sport cars are often driven by people with more money than driving skill. Or, rich parents buy them for their kids' 16th birthday. Add lack of training.

On the other hand, we have always had small cars and have seen firsthand how drivers of larger vehicles (trucks!) will just push us off the road to cut in line. As Rodney Dangerfield would say, small cars get no respect on the road.

No matter how well a small car is designed and engineered for safety, it is going to be at a major disadvantage when confronted by a 6,000-pound SUV.

I wonder how the numbers add up in a country like Germany where driving is actually a skill that is taught and strictly enforced?

·
Registered
457 Posts
The gen 3 Souls were rated a top safety pick un 2021. This year the IHS changed it to include a stiffer side impact test. I wonder it they took this int consideratio when the list was drawn up. Or were they looking at actual accident.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Soul EX undercover green w/ grey interior
18 Posts
I have owned or driven many subcompacts to for long periods to include.
  • Chevy aveo
  • Ford fiesta
  • Kia rio
  • toyota corrolla
  • Mazda 3
  • Nissan micra
Out of all of them the gen 3 soul is the most safe and secure small car I have ever driven. Looking at how people are driving these days I can only speculate that these numbers are being driven by inattentive or inexperienced drivers.
In my area red light accidents are on the rise as are single vehicle accidents and road side incidents involving pedestians.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have owned or driven many subcompacts to for long periods to include.
  • Chevy aveo
  • Ford fiesta
  • Kia rio
  • toyota corrolla
  • Mazda 3
  • Nissan micra
Out of all of them the gen 3 soul is the most safe and secure small car I have ever driven. Looking at how people are driving these days I can only speculate that these numbers are being driven by inattentive or inexperienced drivers.
In my area red light accidents are on the rise as are single vehicle accidents and road side incidents involving pedestians.
I wonder if we’ll see even more accidents in the future as manufacturers keep adding larger and larger screens that control things like heat and radio (like Tesla). Most Souls and cars I have owned have simple 3 knobs for heat, and knobs for volume and tuning the radio. Some of these cars you have to fiddle with the screen to do everything. And I think that is very distracting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some of these cars you have to fiddle with the screen to do everything. And I think that is very distracting.
That is a distraction but its the other screen in the car that I have seen causing more issues. Im not one of the "drive while using you cell phone" types and use all my hands free options often as there are actually very useful and extremely easy to use.
I have seen so many drivers having full video calls while driving. 5 drivers were observed just yesterday.
The other 30 percent of the drivers I saw had cell in hand.
These type of drivers are why car companies keep developing new safety devices for cars. Its not to keep the driver safe. Its to keep everyone else safe from the distracted driver.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
364 Posts
I needed a "new" car - ended up buying a Kia Soul - because a kid ran a red light and T-boned me in my previous car.

Pedestrians - I'm amazed every time I see a pedestrian not look as they start across an intersection, or walk across my line of travel as I drive through a parking lot - assuming that every driver sees them and will stop, that there are no red light runners, or that no driver intending to make a right-on-red turn is not themselves distracted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is very true. IMO I would want any report that comes out reflect real world numbers instead of trying to trash and underscore the soul when the causes of most accidents need to be addressed first.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Take that with a grain of salt.
My other car is a 1987 Suzuki Samurai. Supposedly the most dangerous vehicle on the planet according to Ralph Nader and Consumer Reports. Rollover hazards.
After 2 years of the Samurai OUTSELLING Jeep and every other SUV on the market the slam piece came out and destroyed the Samurai.
Suzuki of America eventually sued Ralph and CR and won a HUGE amount of money but it didn't matter.
Test drivers admitted to actually agressively trying to flip and engineers rigged the cars to with charges to blow tires and make them flip.
I've owned mine 33 years. I've seen 2 roll while off-roading. None rolled on the street.
In that same time frame I've seen 5 Jeeps roll while offroading and 2 on the street.

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Take that with a grain of salt.
My other car is a 1987 Suzuki Samurai. Supposedly the most dangerous vehicle on the planet according to Ralph Nader and Consumer Reports. Rollover hazards.
After 2 years of the Samurai OUTSELLING Jeep and every other SUV on the market the slam piece came out and destroyed the Samurai.
Suzuki of America eventually sued Ralph and CR and won a HUGE amount of money but it didn't matter.
Test drivers admitted to actually agressively trying to flip and engineers rigged the cars to with charges to blow tires and make them flip.
I've owned mine 33 years. I've seen 2 roll while off-roading. None rolled on the street.
In that same time frame I've seen 5 Jeeps roll while offroading and 2 on the street.
My Brother in law had one...I did not think it could go fast enough to roll over....

Image result for Suzuki Samurai 0 to 60

"With a top speed around 65 mph and an almost unmeasurable 0–60 time, the Samurai wasn't fit for American highways; but it was never designed for them."

·
Registered
14 Posts
I needed a "new" car - ended up buying a Kia Soul - because a kid ran a red light and T-boned me in my previous car.

Pedestrians - I'm amazed every time I see a pedestrian not look as they start across an intersection, or walk across my line of travel as I drive through a parking lot - assuming that every driver sees them and will stop, that there are no red light runners, or that no driver intending to make a right-on-red turn is not themselves distracted.
Q Agreed....I roll down my window and yell at them, how did you know I wasn't on some mind altering drugs??? The usual answer is...Huh?

·
Registered
16 Posts
That is a distraction but its the other screen in the car that I have seen causing more issues. Im not one of the "drive while using you cell phone" types and use all my hands free options often as there are actually very useful and extremely easy to use.
I have seen so many drivers having full video calls while driving. 5 drivers were observed just yesterday.
The other 30 percent of the drivers I saw had cell in hand.
These type of drivers are why car companies keep developing new safety devices for cars. Its not to keep the driver safe. Its to keep everyone else safe from the distracted driver.
I still wonder why it wouldn't be simple enough to have a WiFi app in all cars and/or phones that would shut down the texting function when a car is powered on or the wheels are rotating. That way if you need to text, you have to pull over and idle or shut off the engine. I'm no engineer or logistics scientist, but it should be worked on by the car manufacturers or the phone makers.
Hey!!! 😒😂😂

·
Registered
16 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts