Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi bwdz75. Prices I mentioned are Amazon.
Ac Delco Silver uncoated 26 each or better Power Stop geomet coated are 43 each.
Dorman hardware kit is 12 for set or Raybestos set was 15.
Raybestos park shoes show 26 for set. If backer plates are needed that looked like a Kia only item. My go to places for afordable parts are usually Amazon , Rock Auto if you can make shipping warehouses match or Ebay sometimes but you really have to pay attention to brand names there. Otherwise you end up with no name China parts

·
Registered
3 Posts
E-brake shoes/drums are a 70 year old design that never really worked well and I'm flabbergasted they still appear on cars. Vermont has changed its' mind about calling that system a safety feature. You will pass inspection here if the car doesn't roll when in neutral and the e-brake is applied on a 5 degree incline. The mechanics here tell me never apply the e-brake while you are rolling. The friction piece on the shoe will come unglued 9 out of 10 times. You won't notice it because they are so captivated within the drum and have no place to go. Whenever I've taken the drum off a car with this system it all falls apart - pieces of shoe etc. "E-brake" is a misnomer on a drum/shoe system. It's a crime that states will flunk/condemn your car based on poorly operating Drum shoe system. They may work once in an emergency - don't touch that lever otherwise.
Not only that, servicing that drum system is a royal PITA. I think a man by the name of Rub Goldberg invented it. - all those springs etc.
The rear brakes on my Soul are one of the few things I don't like about the car.
Cars with discs rather than drums in the back work so much better. I have no qualms about applying my e-brake while in motion in my VW Golf.

·
Registered
2016 Soul !
220 Posts
Even then. Who it their right mind would park their car in neutral, especially on an incline? :oops:

About the only time I've used the parking brake on a fwd car is if I had the front end jacked up both front wheels off the ground.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I use my parking brake all the time. Years of driving manual transmission got me in the habit of using it even when I had an automatic so I never had any issue with the parking brakes seizing up.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
876 Posts
I use my parking brake all the time. Years of driving manual transmission got me in the habit of using it even when I had an automatic ...
My use of the parking brake on my manual transmission is for the most part limited to two occassions:
  • when out running errands (and thus parking in a store parking lot for example)
  • when working on my car with the front end on ramps.
I currently rarely ever use the parking brake at work because I usually park on a very slight incline
  • sloping towards a curb with my rear wheels backed right up against the curb or
  • next to a curb with front wheel turned in to the curb.
More than once I've forgotten to disengage the set parking brake, have driven away and been chastised by the warning chime.

During the winter I don't set it for prolonged periods of time (longer than maybe a couple hours) due to the warning from Kia that under certain conditions the parking brake may freeze in the engaged position.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
During the winter I don't set it for prolonged periods of time (longer than maybe a couple hours) due to the warning from Kia that under certain conditions the parking brake may freeze in the engaged position.
Yes that is true. I’ve had the pads stick (freeze) to the rotor on cold and wet mornings. I’d have to give it a little forward movement and some extra gas in reverse then I’ll hear it pop free. When I know it’s going to be very cold and wet I won’t set it overnight. It’s wired in my brain to use it and sometimes I forget.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
876 Posts
... I’ve had the pads stick (freeze) to the rotor on cold and wet mornings. I’d have to give it a little forward movement and some extra gas in reverse then I’ll hear it pop free....
Even though not cold temps: Sometimes I've left my car up on front ramps (thus parking brake set) overnight and had them "pop" almost every time the next day when I back down off the ramps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My fingers are raw and I only have one of the spring hold downs on. That's probably why the dealer quotes the exorbitant price. The special tool I purchased to plant the spring hold downs can't be used because the hub is big enough that it blocks access. The head of the tool won't fit in the space.
Kia are you listening?
You get an D for equipping drum breaks in the rear in the first place and you get an F for the implementation
What prevents you on improving a 70 year old design? .....$0.30 rise in manufacturing cost?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
My fingers are raw and I only have one of the spring hold downs on. That's probably why the dealer quotes the exorbitant price. The special tool I purchased to plant the spring hold downs can't be used because the hub is big enough that it blocks access. The head of the tool won't fit in the space.
Kia are you listening?
You get an D for equipping drum breaks in the rear in the first place and you get an F for the implementation
What prevents you on improving a 70 year old design? .....$0.30 rise in manufacturing cost?
I found using needle nose pliers worked better than the special spring tools that are available.

Kia isn’t the only manufacturer that uses parking brake shoes in the rotor hat. The second generation Soul went to using the calipers for the p-brake but those need a special tool to wind the caliper piston back in.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Kia are you listening?
I have a special tool for those pesky springs, it's an old, long flat head screwdriver and I cut a little notch in it. Never found a better tool than that, just slip the end of the spring in the notch and push hard on the screwdriver till it catches. Replacing the rear shoes is maybe 5 minutes per side for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
UPDATE: Got a ride to the dealer, paid the agreed $60 (w/no added charges/taxes!) for diagnosing & quoting repair. Ordered another tow via the AAA phone app…no problems. Now it's at a garage in a 'burb closer to home (unknown to me, but recommended by a friend…). Had previously spoken to the owner over the phone last week, then SMS'd him Sunday—he responded within 5 min., said bring it in Tuesday—but he was not in when I arrived this afternoon. Had to deal w/a mechanic…was very explicit about what I wanted and did not want, showed him the dealer's official service quote & observations (he was not interested), left in glove box for reference with the MA inspection report.

It's a non-descript place with a corner gas station…never would have considered except for my friend's recommendation. I pressed for a figure just for looking at the car: $99.99!!! (waived if they do the repair, just like the dealer)…hmmmmmm…I mentioned the dealer only charged $60…fingers crossed…feeling unsettled…

[I had told the AAA driver (with a real "tow" truck—no flatbed this time) we'd follow him, but he alerted us that he wouldn't be taking the PIke (dunno why)…so we took the Pike (eastbound) and beat him to the repair shop by at least half an hour…took more time from Pike exit to the shop in congested traffic]

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
UPDATE 2: Got to talk w/the owner of the shop, and he said the problem was my rear caliper was seized, which was causing the parking brake not to work. He disputed the dealer claim of the backwards inserted PB bolt causing the groove in the rotor…both rear rotors were very corroded (as dealer noted). He recommended replacing rear calipers, pads, rotors, parking brake elements, but NOT CABLES—said cables were fine. Quote out the door: $1200. After having him explain again, I gave the okay, with his guarantee it would pass inspection for the parking brake. I felt relieved…for 3 minutes. He called back, left a msg. (phone was still on 'do not disturb'). I tried & tried, but just got his voice mail. So I called the mechanic. He said my backing plates were "gone…just gone sir" and said he'd send photos. So he recommends they be replaced, and while at it, recommends replacing bearings as well. No idea how much this will add…he is checking parts availability. Pics just came in…whaddya think?
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
UPDATE 3: Hub & bearing: $289 x 2 + Backing Plate $40 x 2 and G offered to waive the labor charge for that installation, so now the whole out the door quote has jumped to $2000. Are they incrementally upselling me?

I requested everything printed to my email before saying yes again…

21 - 40 of 50 Posts