Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
First, I know this is a Soul forum as I've been a member here for seven years....but I hope you'll extend me some grace. Also, it is our 2.0 motor I need some help with. Three years ago my wife's '11 Forte 2.0 motor blew up at 38K miles. Dealer diagnosed the infamous, "no oil" problem and said Kia wanted the motor shipped back to headquarters to review. Suffice to say, I change all my own oil and I had done it three week earlier. The dealer sympathized but would not help as I was the second owner. The dealer installed a "new motor" with 28K miles on it and it's been fine until recently. Now it runs a bit rough occasionally, especially at idle, a bit noisy and with occasional vibration. Unfortunately I had just given the car to my daughter two weeks ago. So she took it too a garage in town today who told her that they ran two tests and the code said the "cams were out of synch". Now she is not a car person so that may not be "exactly" what they told her but until I talk to them myself I won't know.

Might they have meant the cam position sensor was bad? Or possibly the timing chain has skipped a tooth? Any thoughts? I'll be real ticked if this is the second bad motor in four years. Sigh. And thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
320 Posts
Hey Guys,
First, I know this is a Soul forum as I've been a member here for seven years....but I hope you'll extend me some grace. Also, it is our 2.0 motor I need some help with. Three years ago my wife's '11 Forte 2.0 motor blew up at 38K miles. Dealer diagnosed the infamous, "no oil" problem and said Kia wanted the motor shipped back to headquarters to review. Suffice to say, I change all my own oil and I had done it three week earlier. The dealer sympathized but would not help as I was the second owner. The dealer installed a "new motor" with 28K miles on it and it's been fine until recently. Now it runs a bit rough occasionally, especially at idle, a bit noisy and with occasional vibration. Unfortunately I had just given the car to my daughter two weeks ago. So she took it too a garage in town today who told her that they ran two tests and the code said the "cams were out of synch". Now she is not a car person so that may not be "exactly" what they told her but until I talk to them myself I won't know.

Might they have meant the cam position sensor was bad? Or possibly the timing chain has skipped a tooth? Any thoughts? I'll be real ticked if this is the second bad motor in four years. Sigh. And thanks.
Any codes?

A camshaft sensor in my 2012 2.0 sole failed and other than a check engine light showed no symptoms at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts