Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my new 2019 Kia Soul back in March and I love it so far! I do a lot of driving for work. I’ll probably put 23-25,000 miles a year on my Soul. What is everyone’s experience with this vehicle? Should I expect many low maintenance years out of it? I know it’s a highly rated vehicle but I was just curious what problems people have seen. My Soul has the 1.6 engine by the way.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
I bought my new 2019 Kia Soul back in March and I love it so far! I do a lot of driving for work. I’ll probably put 23-25,000 miles a year on my Soul. What is everyone’s experience with this vehicle? Should I expect many low maintenance years out of it? I know it’s a highly rated vehicle but I was just curious what problems people have seen. My Soul has the 1.6 engine by the way.
Congrats bigaloster on your 2019 base Soul. Mines a manual transmission bought new in 2014. Zero problems. Only oil & filter changes (plus whatever recalls/tsbs they took care of).

At your annual mileage rate you will go off the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty in about 2 years and the 10 yr powertrain in about 4 years.

My thoughts are you're in good shape if you keep the oil changed frequently & scheduled maintenance up during the initial 100,000 miles. After that you'll have a good idea how it's gone & if the car is worth keeping or trading in.

I'm not convinced on the longevity of a small 1.6 being driven that much going to, say 200,000 miles. You'd be on your own out there :)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I wouldn't post my email in a public forum, I would advise you find a new user name.

Pat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gen 2 is a tank, almost literally.. VERY good safety ratings, and can take a 60mph at stand still foot off brakes of course with only cosmetic damage. The manual trans should last a very long time as long as you don't wear the clutch.. Good car..

·
Registered
6,269 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gen 2 is a tank, almost literally.. VERY good safety ratings, and can take a 60mph at stand still foot off brakes of course with only cosmetic damage. The manual trans should last a very long time as long as you don't wear the clutch.. Good car..
Great to hear! Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have driven a 2014 Soul 2.0L AT for the past 3 years in NH for my part time job delivering auto parts. The mileage has gone from 33K to 128K in that time, and only serviceable parts have been replaced (pads, calipers, rotors, tires, battery, etc.). It still has the original ATF.

Other drivers are extremely hard on it while I drive it like the old man I am except for some times where I’ve have to push it – that 2.0L is really responsive. Our job requires lots of short trips around the city, with the occasional longer highway trips. It has little cargo room behind the rear seats, so we keep them down for more than adequate room.

It’s now got 2 problems: a slight hesitation, and oil consumption of ~1qt / 2K which increases as the oil gets darker. (The company just went from 3K OCI with conventional to 5K with full synthetic.) The thread “2014-burning-oil.107554” says a new PCV valve may help, so I may ask someone to see if the old one is plugged.

I’ve loved driving this car so much I bought a new 2019 base this past June. It has only 3.5K on it and no problems yet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've got about 80k miles on my 2014 Soul Exclaim - it's gone through one set of tires, one set of brakes and rotors and one battery.

It burned NO oil for about the first 60k miles - now it's going through about a quart per 2k. I don't consider this a bad amount, I grew up in the days when 1 quart per 1k was considered normal oil consumption.

However, I plan on either getting a new engine around 100k or having the engine rebuilt. I LIKE this little car - and they seem to have dropped the panoramic sunroof from the US line, and the interior on the '20s just doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
I've got about 80k miles on my 2014 Soul Exclaim - it's gone through one set of tires, one set of brakes and rotors and one battery.

It burned NO oil for about the first 60k miles - now it's going through about a quart per 2k. I don't consider this a bad amount, I grew up in the days when 1 quart per 1k was considered normal oil consumption.

However, I plan on either getting a new engine around 100k or having the engine rebuilt. I LIKE this little car - and they seem to have dropped the panoramic sunroof from the US line, and the interior on the '20s just doesn't do it for me.
Hey JLL, congrats on enjoying your 2014 Soul so much. Same for me. I love this vehicle.

Have you thought about using a slightly heavier weight of oil, say 5w-30 full synthetic? You might have an argument for an engine replacement now under your PowerTrain warranty. Kia would probably put you under an oil-usage test first.

I grew up in those days too of having to regularly put oil in our older cars. And honestly, if anyones car had 100,000 miles on it (remember when odometers ended at 99999.9?), it was considered pretty dang old.

With my dads cars, always well used vehicles, he bought oil by the 12-case and trained all of us kids to check regularly. And we added regularly. The worst was our Rambler station wagon. Eventually we bought 5-gallon can of Motor Honey to quest it's weekly use of oil.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm already using 'high mileage' oil, 5w-30, so that might be an issue... I probably need to just go in and tell 'em it's using more oil than I like and see if there's anything they recommend. Likely that oil usage test...

Son's got my '02 Honda CR-V - 215k miles, it's burning about a quart every 2k. Thing seems to be darn near bulletproof. And yep, I've had a number of cars that didn't make it near 100k!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts